IGNORED

Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs

iacas

F&#%  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem or dislike Justin Thomas (or anyone else, really) cursing on TV while playing golf?

• Yes, it's a problem.
    • No, no problem here.

This may be harsh...but I don’t buy the bs run-of-the-mill ‘ that’s not me’ line.

Yeah. It is. I think the last time I heard that word used like that was in ‘Breakfast Club’. I say a million choice words on the golf course...and that sure as hell isn’t one of them. Wtf?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

This may be harsh...but I don’t buy the bs run-of-the-mill ‘ that’s not me’ line.

Yeah. It is. I think the last time I heard that word used like that was in ‘Breakfast Club’. I say a million choice words on the golf course...and that sure as hell isn’t one of them. Wtf?

100% Agreed - I don’t think I could’ve recalled that word from the 80’s-90’s if you paid me. It’s so obsolete. If he pulled that out of thin air at a moment of frustration, clearly it’s not that obsolete from his vocabulary. 

Having said that, when someone does something they regret, I try not to judge them in their worst moments as I wouldn’t want to be judged in mine.  But don’t give me that “it’s not me” line. Let’s be honest.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

39 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Companies are all about the $$.   Some companies may have a social conscience but the bottom line, they are in business to make money.

They are about making money, but reputation is also worth a lot of money. If your supply chain involves human rights issues, bribery, exploitation, etc., and your customers find out, you can lose a lot more money than you saved with lower cost raw materials or manufacturing sites. And I mean a lot more. 

The company I retired from spends considerable resources to determine if the supply chain meets the company’s core values. I was part of those teams. PR is hugely important. Keeping customers is absolutely vital. Premium products can cost more because those supply chain have been vetted. The company’s reputation depends on it. 

A hypothetical concern was raised about RL in the thread above with no data support that accusation. For all we know, RL has fully vetted their supply chain and that is why they are so ready to protect their brand. I hope JT learns from that.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

26 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I say a million choice words on the golf course...and that sure as hell isn’t one of them. Wtf?

I keep coming back to this whenever I think about this topic. What an odd exclamation for him to say, out all the possibilities. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

It was an odd outburst, but I have heard worse and I am sure he did not intend to insult a person.  No one can dig into his psyche.

But Justin, you said you regret you said that, you apologized to all who might be offended.  So stop groveling and move on.  No need to wear the hair shirt, it is bad for your brand. (yes, I said that RL) You will never apologize enough for the PC crowd.

Does JT sign with a new brand sooner or later? What brand? Would that said brand even have some type of press release? 

If he does sign with another brand they would need to be very careful when announcing this. Too soon bad pr but soon enough where hopefully fans buy the gear. 

an add on to this thread. If Golf Channel doesn’t inform JT or the public what took place is this even a discussion today?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

15 hours ago, hvs01 said:

It was an odd outburst, but I have heard worse and I am sure he did not intend to insult a person.  No one can dig into his psyche.

I am intrigued. Do tell.............

I am struggling to imagine something worse. And by that I am not saying that JT has said the worst thing anyone has ever said on a golf course, but what terms are "worse" ?

What do you mean  "I am sure he did not intend to insult a person"? The fact that it was an all encompassing generic slur makes it a thousand times worse. 

It is a slur against millions of people and the fact that he said it indicates that he doesn't "get it".

Nor do you, clearly. And I just "dug into your psyche". 

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

He could have belted out the "N" word...

True. 

Well....he made an idiotic comment to himself and the whole world heard it. He is gonna pay for it. But at the end of the day, we have all made really stupid decisions and really bad choices that didn't get broadcast on the Golf Channel. Hopefully he will learn something from this and it will make him a better person. Or it won't. Either way he is going to wake up tomorrow and be a major champion and a millionaire. Same as Patrick Reid. Same as Tiger Woods. 

P.S. I am a middle school teacher, and the word Justin Thomas used is still used often in this school environment. It hasn't gone anywhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

It hasn't gone anywhere. 

And those who continue to downplay it prolong how long it will continue to be used.

A friend postulated that the word is much more common in the south. Can't say that's true or not, but it "feels" somewhat accurate. "We" (my age group) said it some in the early 90s, but even by the time I graduated from HS we knew it wasn't a good word to say at all. I can't remember I said the word other than when discussing the "word" itself since 1996 or earlier.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

Well....he made an idiotic comment to himself and the whole world heard it. He is gonna pay for it. But at the end of the day, we have all made really stupid decisions and really bad choices that didn't get broadcast on the Golf Channel. Hopefully he will learn something from this and it will make him a better person. Or it won't. Either way he is going to wake up tomorrow and be a major champion and a millionaire. Same as Patrick Reid. Same as Tiger Woods. 

P.S. I am a middle school teacher, and the word Justin Thomas used is still used often in this school environment. It hasn't gone anywhere. 

Do your students lose their sponsorships when they use that word?

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

friend postulated that the word is much more common in the south. Can't say that's true or not, but it "feels" somewhat accurate. "We" (my age group) said it some in the early 90s, but even by the time I graduated from HS we knew it wasn't a good word to say at all. I can't remember I said the word other than when discussing the "word" itself since 1996 or earlier.

100% agree. Yeah...I grew up in the south. Late 80’s early 90’s last time I think I heard it used other then discussing it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Then shame on you for being a teacher who chooses not to see a teachable moment.

You're essentially condoning it as if he had used a "curse word". The fact that some if your students use it and you apparently shrug your shoulders isn't that great.

The only ones that would use it are certain "types" and I'd be surprised if JT fit into that category. Therein lies the problem.

I'd like to think that in most schools when that word is used the reaction is "Geez - who says that? 🤥

Edited by Shorty

13 hours ago, Shorty said:

Then shame on you for being a teacher who chooses not to see a teachable moment.

You're essentially condoning it as if he had used a "curse word". The fact that some if your students use it and you apparently shrug your shoulders isn't that great.

The only ones that would use it are certain "types" and I'd be surprised if JT fit into that category. Therein lies the problem.

I'd like to think that in most schools when that word is used the reaction is "Geez - who says that? 🤥

I spend my whole day telling kids to stop cursing. Not just that particular word. They don't even realize that they are cursing most of the time because that's just the way they talk. If I wrote up every kid who swore in my classroom....they would all be suspended (as a matter of fact I have instructed not to by those who are higher up on the totem pole).  Unfortunately, their parents speak essentially the same way. Heck...many of the members at the club where I'm a member speak the same way.  That's where we are now.  Sorry Shorty. You are out of touch. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I spend my whole day telling kids to stop cursing. Not just that particular word. They don't even realize that they are cursing most of the time because that's just the way they talk. If I wrote up every kid who swore in my classroom....they would all be suspended (as a matter of fact I have instructed not to by those who are higher up on the totem pole).  Unfortunately, their parents speak essentially the same way. Heck...many of the members at the club where I'm a member speak the same way.  That's where we are now.  Sorry Shorty. You are out of touch. 

There is a difference between “shit” and what JT said.

Accepting that it’s ”where we are now” doesn’t help us move forward.

My wife is a teacher. It’s not “where we are now” across the country.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I am a middle school teacher, and the word Justin Thomas used is still used often in this school environment. It hasn't gone anywhere. 

Oh, it needs to go somewhere. It absolutely does. This word is at par with the 'n' word. If you hear it you should absolutely remind them of that. 

It is not even remotely close to curse words like f***, shit.. what have you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.