IGNORED

Is Phil Winning His First Event on the Champions Tour a Thing? Or Not a Thing?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil Winning His First Even On The Champions Tour... A Thing Or Not A Thing?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Phil Winning His First Even On The Champions Tour... A Thing Or Not A Thing?

• It's definitely a thing.
    • It's definitely not a thing.
    • I don't know if its significant or not
    • I don't care if its a thing or not. I just joined this forum because I want to discuss launch angles.

• Administrator

Like 19 other people have done it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Is Phil Winning His First Event on the Champions Tour a Thing? Or Not a Thing?
Just now, iacas said:

Like 19 other people have done it.

I saw that stat today. Do you think it will boost interest in the Champions Tour? I didn't see the numbers for this event. Not sure it's comparable anyway. Everything is all out of whack due to the COVID. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I was disappointed this morning when I saw Phil was on the course and coverage was not yet on TV.

I was tempted to respond to the post by saying "this is the first time in the history of the Champions Tour that this has happened."  Then I'd wait for someone to point out others have done it, and I'd say "how did other people get Phil Mickelson's first win on the Champions Tour?"

Especially since I imagine Phil is a fan of dad jokes. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

It's a thing because he played like a swashbuckler and didn't disappoint. That's what people want to see, Phil being Phil and he certainly was all three rounds. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Tiger made the comment the other day that Phil should win every event he enters.   That hints at the difference between the two tours.   

Meh...somebody playing/somebody winning ...

on the Champions Tour....

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

If he went on the KF tour and lost, that would be a thing. 

Did everyone suddenly decide to stop calling it the KFC Tour?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 hours ago, colin007 said:

His sunglasses make him an automatic loser.

I am glad I did not have hot coffee in my mouth when I read this!

I think it’s more of a thing if FIGJAM loses.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, colin007 said:

I was worried I was the only one who thought that. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

It is a relatively small thing but still a thing.  Phil brought some much needed attention to the Champions Tour and he played his part properly smacking balls a long way and scoring a zillion under par to win fairly easily.  Now he's leaving and everyone can go back to sleep.

• Like 2

Brian Kuehn

13 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Well what do you all think? Is this a thing or not a thing? 

Its a thing.  One of the biggest names in golf history winning his debut.  Go Phil!

• Like 1

Meh.

I agree. It would be more of a thing if he didn’t win.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It’s definitely a thing. Phil’s one of my favorites, and I love seeing his name on top of the leaderboard! Definitely a heck of a debut!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

10 hours ago, colin007 said:

Add that with him working that gum and its a real departure from his younger days. He is giving off a vibe that is somewhere between back to the future mad scientist combined with top gun aviator with a dash of bad dad mid lifer sprinkled on top.  It took me a while to get used to it, but he is being Phil. He is a welcome addition to the KF generic blandness. 

8 hours ago, Shindig said:

Did everyone suddenly decide to stop calling it the KFC Tour?

It cracks me up that when they featured Tom Lehman that he was a former KF Player of the Year. Now anything that predates KF is KF. No mention of Ben Hogan Tour, Nationwide, Nike, Buy. com, etc. 

20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Meh.

I agree. It would be more of a thing if he didn’t win.

Even more so if he laid up, didn't hit driver under the tree, etc. He won in Phil style which the KF Tour desperately needs going forward. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It is mostly a thing for the Champions tour itself for the immediate attention burst it has received from Phil's presence.

It reinforces the lot of people's impression that Champions tour is really a minor league (don't think it is fully deserved) and a major leaguer can walk up and run the tables.  

Whether either of the aspects are lasting, only time will tell. I had expected Vijay and Freddie C to do this but don't seem to have made quite that type of impact. 

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 1331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!