IGNORED

2020 U.S. Open at Winged Foot

iacas
Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 hours ago, Antneye said:

Since it’s Winged Foot I may as well share my Phil Mickelson story with you all. I was there when he blew it on 18. Not only was I there but I was on my knees under the rope directly across from him as he lined up for his drive on 18. As he walked into the box I said, and I quote, “ come on Phil! Hit it down the middle and let’s go get that trophy!”  Phil being Phil looked at me, nodded his head and smiled at me. When he hit his errant drive I could not see it because I was so low to the ground surrounded by a mob of people. I just started cheering immediately until I saw his reaction. My wife kneed me in the back because of how bad my timing was. The rest is history. 

I’ve had the pleasure of getting up close to Phil a number of times at Quail Hollow and Augusta since then and every time I do he seems to blow up. Out of respect to him I have stopped going near him whenever I’m at a tournament. I’m his Kryptonite. I’d love to meet him someday to ask if he remembers our encounter before taking the single shot that has haunted him for 15 years. 

593U-H.gif

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, Antneye said:

Since it’s Winged Foot I may as well share my Phil Mickelson story with you all. I was there when he blew it on 18. Not only was I there but I was on my knees under the rope directly across from him as he lined up for his drive on 18. As he walked into the box I said, and I quote, “ come on Phil! Hit it down the middle and let’s go get that trophy!”  Phil being Phil looked at me, nodded his head and smiled at me. When he hit his errant drive I could not see it because I was so low to the ground surrounded by a mob of people. I just started cheering immediately until I saw his reaction. My wife kneed me in the back because of how bad my timing was. The rest is history. 

I’ve had the pleasure of getting up close to Phil a number of times at Quail Hollow and Augusta since then and every time I do he seems to blow up. Out of respect to him I have stopped going near him whenever I’m at a tournament. I’m his Kryptonite. I’d love to meet him someday to ask if he remembers our encounter before taking the single shot that has haunted him for 15 years. 

Good story. Too bad you witnessed the beginning of the most gut wrenching implosion of the 2000s. 

16 hours ago, Antneye said:

I’m his Kryptonite. I’d love to meet him someday to ask if he remembers our encounter before taking the single shot that has haunted him for 15 years. 

I am guessing that he would tell you it was the shot after that haunts him more. I also read somewhere that the 2013 loss was even harder on him. He said he couldn't get out of bed for days. 

But here he is.....still bouncy as ever. I don't think Phil is given enough credit for how resilient he is. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

3 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I don't think Phil is given enough credit for how resilient he is. 

He is resilient and I hope he gets his US Open Win but I have concerns that his battle with arthritis makes going 72 holes hard both physically & mentally.  Combine that with the sheer number of highly talented younger players will make it difficult.  None the less, I will root for him.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

44 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Good story. Too bad you witnessed the beginning of the most gut wrenching implosion of the 2000s. 

I am guessing that he would tell you it was the shot after that haunts him more. I also read somewhere that the 2013 loss was even harder on him. He said he couldn't get out of bed for days. 

But here he is.....still bouncy as ever. I don't think Phil is given enough credit for how resilient he is. 

Yeah, the second shot was ridiculous. I didn’t have nearly as close a view but I was behind him and had no idea what he was thinking. 

17 hours ago, Antneye said:

Curious, are you in the below video from Phil's 18th Hole at Winged Foot?

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

29 minutes ago, StuM said:

I am, but I've never been able to find a good enough quality video to say definitively who us me.  I am facing him and basically sitting on my butt under the rope.  It's possible I'm the guy who is sitting a little more up the tee box, but I recall being directly in front of him and not up the box because we made direct eye contacts straight on as he was walking up to place his tee.

Edited by Antneye

3 minutes ago, Antneye said:

I am, but I've never been able to find a good enough quality video to say definitively who is me.  I am facing him and basically sitting on my but under the rope.  It's possible I'm the guy who is sitting a little more up the tee box, but I recall being directly in front of him and not up the box because we made direct eye contact straight on as he was walking up to place his tee.

I understand the difficulty with the quality of the video.  It is amazing how far technology has come.  Watching is so much better these days.

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

None the less, I will root for him.

Yeah, he will be floating on lot a ton of nostalgic support and I will surely be in the choir. But agree that's a long way to float. Me thinks he will be praying for baked out greens, an area where he can still hang with the best.   

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I'll totally be rooting for Phil.

This happened before I got into golf but it's amazing the bad decision that he made on the tee and how he compounded it with each successive shot (something I seem to do every time I play, haha); a total mental breakdown.  

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

36 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

I'll totally be rooting for Phil.

This happened before I got into golf but it's amazing the bad decision that he made on the tee and how he compounded it with each successive shot (something I seem to do every time I play, haha); a total mental breakdown.  

They do not call him "Phil the Thrill" for nothing.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I don't know about other sports, so I can't speak on it, but I would guess you are talking about team sports. I bet if Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt were going to miss the Olympics due to injury that everyone would know about it.

And Brooks has told us that he's going to miss the U.S. Open. So…?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

And Brooks has told us that he's going to miss the U.S. Open. So…?

No problem here. I was just saying that I wasn't missing him to begin with.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
On 9/9/2020 at 7:07 PM, Bonvivant said:

I used to appreciate him a lot more, but over the last 3-4 months I've lost a lot of respect because of… the lies that he was telling about his injuries.

You clearly had a problem.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You clearly had a problem.

I still do. Him withdrawing from the US Open and admitting he still isn't well is a step in the right direction, but I am not a fan of the way he calls out players and has "hidden" (didn't do a very good job of it) injury in the past. The most recent announcement was a pleasant surprise for me.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

15 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I still do. Him withdrawing from the US Open and admitting he still isn't well is a step in the right direction, but I am not a fan of the way he calls out players and has "hidden" (didn't do a very good job of it) injury in the past. The most recent announcement was a pleasant surprise for me.

Taking satisfaction from someone else's misfortune is not a good look, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

7 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Taking satisfaction from someone else's misfortune is not a good look, IMO.

I'm just happy he is being honest and I won't miss him at the tournament. I also don't see injuries as "misfortune". It isn't like he rolled the dice or flipped a coin to get where he is. Perhaps if he would have sat out even earlier, he'd be back in time for the tournament. It was his choice to play through pain and worsen his injuries.

Note: This thread is 1306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!