IGNORED

Stock Market

DewSweeper09
Note: This thread is 1166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got a boring, somewhat conservative portfolio and I made more money in the stock market last year than I did from my job.  I think that is mostly a sign of getting old and finally having enough invested to make some money. Or being underpaid. Or both.

War Eagle!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got a buddy who told me about TRIT. I got some money in there as a risk/reward stock. He's a smart guy who does his research, but still some risk. He thinks that in the long term this could give great returns. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I know nothing about investing.  How would a beginner play around with investing on his own??

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

5 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I know nothing about investing.  How would a beginner play around with investing on his own??

Learn

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Learn

🙄  Obviously....   Kinda like answering a new golfer's question of how do I stop hitting a slice with "learn."  No reference to any help of any kind.

Bryan A

19 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Send me what funds you have and I will keep you updated.

9 minutes ago, TN94z said:

🙄  Obviously....   Kinda like answering a new golfer's question of how do I stop hitting a slice with "learn."  No reference to any help of any kind.

Well it’s not much different than gambling. Like learning Black Jack...you’ll still probably lose unless you have exceptional talent like the MIT Counting Cards guys.....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, TN94z said:

To a large degree that would depend on what you are interested in investing in.

People tend to simply think of the stock markets, but anything that you purchase with a hope that it goes up in value could be called an investment.  Some people invest in bonds, commodities or real estate. Risk-adverse people, like me, have their retirement savings in mutual funds which in turn own lots of different types of stock, so that one sector's downturn doesn't do us too much damage. Mob guys invest money in high risk, high interest loans and send leg breakers if the payment is late. 

Seriously though, start by reading about what interests you.  Just make sure you don't risk losing next month's mortgage payment.

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well it’s not much different than gambling. Like learning Black Jack...you’ll still probably lose unless you have exceptional talent like the MIT Counting Cards guys.....

I assume you are referring to daily trading?

7 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

To a large degree that would depend on what you are interested in investing in.

People tend to simply think of the stock markets, but anything that you purchase with a hope that it goes up in value could be called an investment.  Some people invest in bonds, commodities or real estate. Risk-adverse people, like me, have their retirement savings in mutual funds which in turn own lots of different types of stock, so that one sector's downturn doesn't do us too much damage. Mob guys invest money in high risk, high interest loans and send leg breakers if the payment is late. 

Seriously though, start by reading about what interests you.  Just make sure you don't risk losing next month's mortgage payment.

I agree with that. I posed the question because I was reading some of the posts to my co-worker. His first question was "how would a beginner get started in investing" and I thought that was a good question that many may ask themselves when they read this thread. Personally, I could care less about day trading as I would drive myself nuts.  That and my IRA and 401k is the extent of my knowledge as well.

We have an acquaintance here that invests. After posting my question above, I decided to ask him the same question to see what his response was. Here was his answer:

"Just asked a buddy the same question.  His reply was, "Lesson 1 is learn what an index fund is. Understand why you should own an sp500 index fund."  He even gave me a link with information to read. " 

Bryan A

29 minutes ago, TN94z said:

The only real investing I have done is with my 401K and IRA, although I did have some in a mutual fund 30 years ago before I was married. I have always just put in the minimum amount to get the maximum match from my employer since I got my first post college job. I have mostly invested in target data funds although I have added a few other stock funds over the years.  I have made very few changes (other than rebalancing to reduce stock exposure 1.5 years ago) and have not sold during any of the dips.  Dollar cost average. Set it and forget it. I am 53 years old and while I don't have $1MM in my accounts, I could by next year if we have another year like last year. Maybe I could have done better with more active investing, but I am OK with where I am. It doesn't have to be that hard or stressful. 

War Eagle!

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

I assume you are referring to daily trading?

Yes. And I agree with the sp500 index advice as well. Sorry if you weren’t including ‘day trading.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

Google search. Stay away from things that seem too good to be true. 😉

In terms of options similar to but not investing in mutual funds. Stocks with high dividends are nice. Also, just investing in ETF's. That depends on your age and risk assessment. 

Day trading is a totally different animal. Also, in the long term holding onto stocks tend to make you more money. Day trading is taxed as personal income, while long term holdings are capital gains tax. Depending on your income level, that can be substantial. If you are only 2% better day trading versus holding onto stocks for at least 1-2 years, then you won't make out much more when tax man comes around. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 1 month later...

Make sure you max out your Roth IRA (6k) every year. You can even move around positions tax free. While typically buying mutual funds in retirement accounts, you can take positions in equities like ETF’s in your brokerage account. I made a killing off ARK investments, look into ARKK ARKQ ARKW and even FNGU.

don’t chase meme stocks to get rich quick.. the whales win every time..

Given many states allowing marijuana use, I invested in some marijuana stocks (Cresco Labs: CRLBF) last year.  It has gone up over 60% since Biden won the election.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!