IGNORED

Bought an MGI Zip Navigator Remote Control Cart

After much time looking, reviewing and finger crossing I went ahead and ordered a MGI Zip Navigator with remote and a new golf bag to go with it. It arrived yesterday and I got a chance to try it out today. I know I spent a ton of money on the thing so my review will be biased, of course, but I think the thing is great. With the new cart I was able to walk 18 holes which, for me, is a very big step forward (so to speak). I usually am only good for 12 holes on my home course.

What do I like about it? Well, it was dead simple to use. The remote control worked flawlessly and the controls were as easy to figure out as they are on the remote to my TV. OK. Maybe a bad analogy but you get what I mean. Press the forward button once and it starts going forward and speeds up with each additional press. Left and right buttons worked just as expected and I was easily able to control the cart over a couple of small bridges though I did walk close to it, just in case. I was easily able to guide the cart to my ball, pull a club, hit the shot and start walking to the next one. Soooo nice not to have to push the cart through the soft wet grass. 

What concerns do I have? Well, the way it's set up now the cart is doing a bit of a balancing act - it bounces slightly between the front wheels down and back onto the anti-tip over wheel. Definitely needs a bit more weight low down in the front. I think I'll put my water and other drinks down there. That should help. Keep in mind that it didn't seem to be a problem. Just something that I noticed. I also noted that it had a very slight tendency, when headed straight down the fairway to very slowly angle its way to the left. Nothing a tap on the remote couldn't handle but it is something I will talk to support about. Probably not tomorrow, though, as the weather should be even better and I'm headed out to the course again

Speed - 3 clicks forward was just a tad to fast for me to walk. 2 clicks forward was just a tad too slow. On the treadmill I walk at 2.8 mph (or so the treadmill indicates) so I'm guessing I was doing 2.5 or 2.6 on the course. For someone able to walk at 3 mph it would probably be perfect at 3 clicks. Again, not a problem. I'd just let it go ahead for a bit then slowed it down and I would catch up to it.

For what I spent on it I could have rented an electric rider cart for 3 years from my course but the problem with that is that sometimes the course is closed to rider carts due to lots of rain or other course conditions but it's never closed to walking so I should be able to get a lot of use from it. Also, ain't walking good for you?

Zip-Navigator.thumb.jpg.2c84e09301b6deb8661df105b1c5360d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zippo said:

After much time looking, reviewing and finger crossing I went ahead and ordered a MGI Zip Navigator with remote and a new golf bag to go with it. It arrived yesterday and I got a chance to try it out today. I know I spent a ton of money on the thing so my review will be biased, of course, but I think the thing is great. With the new cart I was able to walk 18 holes which, for me, is a very big step forward (so to speak). I usually am only good for 12 holes on my home course.

What do I like about it? Well, it was dead simple to use. The remote control worked flawlessly and the controls were as easy to figure out as they are on the remote to my TV. OK. Maybe a bad analogy but you get what I mean. Press the forward button once and it starts going forward and speeds up with each additional press. Left and right buttons worked just as expected and I was easily able to control the cart over a couple of small bridges though I did walk close to it, just in case. I was easily able to guide the cart to my ball, pull a club, hit the shot and start walking to the next one. Soooo nice not to have to push the cart through the soft wet grass. 

What concerns do I have? Well, the way it's set up now the cart is doing a bit of a balancing act - it bounces slightly between the front wheels down and back onto the anti-tip over wheel. Definitely needs a bit more weight low down in the front. I think I'll put my water and other drinks down there. That should help. Keep in mind that it didn't seem to be a problem. Just something that I noticed. I also noted that it had a very slight tendency, when headed straight down the fairway to very slowly angle its way to the left. Nothing a tap on the remote couldn't handle but it is something I will talk to support about. Probably not tomorrow, though, as the weather should be even better and I'm headed out to the course again

Speed - 3 clicks forward was just a tad to fast for me to walk. 2 clicks forward was just a tad too slow. On the treadmill I walk at 2.8 mph (or so the treadmill indicates) so I'm guessing I was doing 2.5 or 2.6 on the course. For someone able to walk at 3 mph it would probably be perfect at 3 clicks. Again, not a problem. I'd just let it go ahead for a bit then slowed it down and I would catch up to it.

For what I spent on it I could have rented an electric rider cart for 3 years from my course but the problem with that is that sometimes the course is closed to rider carts due to lots of rain or other course conditions but it's never closed to walking so I should be able to get a lot of use from it. Also, ain't walking good for you?

Zip-Navigator.thumb.jpg.2c84e09301b6deb8661df105b1c5360d.jpg

Thanks for posting. I can edit the title for you with the name of the cart if you would like. It would make it easier for folks to find. Also, more picks would be a nice addition.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Bought an MGI Zip Navigator Remote Control Cart

I bought that same cart last year from Costco for $1500. I like that I can control it from 20-30yds away so it can get to my ball before I do, or it can start moving to the next hole while I am getting off the green. What I didn’t like is if I want to walk under the umbrella - I cannot find the right speed. It’s either too slow or too fast for my pace to walk alongside it. I also think the uphill balancing wheel is too small and if I forgot to extend it, the cart will tip over since my course is at the foothills and there are lots of slopes to climb. A few weeks after buying it, the price went down to $1200. Costco was nice enough to give me the difference eventhough they didn’t have to.

I have only used it for a few months - I ended up getting a golf cart because I didn’t want to walk anymore. Then a few months later I joined a different club that included carts in my membership, so I now have an electric push cart and a golf cart sitting in my garage collecting dust...

Edited by FlyingAce

(edited)
10 hours ago, chicub15 said:

Nice wheels! I've been contemplating purchasing something along these lines. What other carts did you mostly consider?

Thank you! I considered the Bat Caddy models and definitely considered the Alphord eWheels V2. I did want a cart that had a swivel front wheel for sharper turns and less wear on the front wheel. I could have bought a cart like that and added the V2 but thought this was the easiest for me. The cost would have been comparable. There were a couple of other carts on the long list but their prices were simply too high for me to consider at this time.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Thanks for posting. I can edit the title for you with the name of the cart if you would like. It would make it easier for folks to find. Also, more picks would be a nice addition.

Please edit away. I thought I'd put the name of the cart in the title but I must have missed doing so. Sorry. And, in case anyone were to wonder - I have no financial interest whatsoever in any of the cart manufacturers. I will see what I can do about a few more images but I didn't want to go overboard.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Guess you made your decision from that topic. 🙂

Indeed I did and I looked very closely at your suggestion. It was a good one and had some great reviews so thanks again for that.

Edited by Zippo

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Indeed I did and I looked very closely at your suggestion. It was a good one and had some great reviews so thanks again for that.

FWIW that wasn't a comment per se, I was just trying to help others who find one topic find the other.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Those front wheels are kinda small. You'll have to let us know how it gets through some thicker rough or some softer conditions.

Hmmm. Hadn't considered that. I've been through some pretty soft conditions and it's light enough on the front that it hasn't yet been an issue. But, I'll run it through some rough tomorrow and see how it goes.

We have 2 of these at our course.  Rather expensive to buy but there is nothing like walking!

Club-Car-Logo-Color-PNG.png

Meet Club Car's autonomous, hands-free caddie designed to make walking your round more...

I use it every time I go out.  The remote is the size of a beeper.  I put it on the back of my belt.  Toggle button on and off.  Flip it on and it follows about 5’ behind you.

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

We have 2 of these at our course.  Rather expensive to buy but there is nothing like walking!

Meet Club Car's autonomous, hands-free caddie designed to make walking your round more...

I use it every time I go out.  The remote is the size of a beeper.  I put it on the back of my belt.  Toggle button on and off.  Flip it on and it follows about 5’ behind you.

There is a course in Ann Arbor that has 4 of these.   I've not tried it but next time there I will. 

On 12/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, iacas said:

Those front wheels are kinda small. You'll have to let us know how it gets through some thicker rough or some softer conditions.

A friend has one, and his went through the rough just fine.

5 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I considered a cart with the "follow me" option but I decided I wasn't comfortable with a powered caddy cart behind me. I like having it where I can keep an eye on me in case it "decides" that I'm such a bad golfer that I should be eliminated or my wife hacks the programming...

2 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

A friend has one, and his went through the rough just fine.

Most of the rough on the course I play is pretty short this time of year and I haven't had a need to run it through any rough. I will try to take a video of it in what passes for rough when I go out again Saturday.

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Almost as good as a caddie.  But does it read the green for you and wipe down your clubs?  I'm waiting for that version.

Not yet. But I also haven't had to give it a percentage of my winnings or give it a tip or buy it a drink or listen to it snigger as I thin a ball in the fairway...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Looks like a great cart.  I've been using the Cart-tee for 4 seasons.  Perfect?  No, but very close to it.  I like the back wheel and the remote.  I've got over 150 rounds with it, still using the original battery.  For someone looking at this thread because you're interested in a remote cart, I'd highly recommend the Cart-tee as another great option to MGI.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a video of my Zip Navigator rolling through what passes for the rough at the Grandview Golf Course today. It might have been easier to get a video of it underwater with a snorkel given the conditions here lately! Anyway, I think it does OK in the rough though I can't imagine why I would want to run it there as a matter of course...

It does bounce the clubs around in the thick stuff as you can probably hear. I'm pretty happy with it overall. It seems to have the most trouble in very wet, muddy grass if it's got any speed on. The wheels spin like a truck stuck in the mud. I've found it works best if I slow it down and let it crawl through the goop. I'm glad to be walking again.

• Thanks 1