IGNORED

Nantz Leaving CBS for ESPN?

ken on the course
Note: This thread is 1126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The years of watching Jim Nance hosting The Masters may be coming to and end. Nance is also co-host with Tony Romo on CBS's NFL games. Romo was paid almost 3 times what Nance is making and Jim isn't happy. ESPN  are making offers and the question of the day is....if Nance leaves CBS for ESPN, who would you like to see in the CBS anchor seat at Augusta to replace him? 

I think you gotta go with JT mic’ed up with PR as the rules expert 🤭

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good question. Easier for me to say who I don’t want. But keeping to the question I don’t mind Faldo. I actually like Montgomery’s commentary. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t mind Faldo. 

Faldo is fine, he still makes a lot of outdated comments...he was one of the ones making the big deal about how he didn’t like how PR handled his embedded bad situation, but he’s not bad in general 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, ken on the course said:

Jim Nance

That's not his name. Could we show the guy enough respect not to call him "Nance" when his name is "Nantz"?

Pet peeve of mine. Just spell the guy's name properly, please.

CBS recently made a move that could signal they are preparing for Nantz to leave. While ESPN would love for that to happen, it still seems like a long shot.

Nantz currently makes $6.5 million per year from CBS, while his partner Tony Romo recently signed a 10-year, $180 million deal with the network last year. Nantz is said to be seeking a salary similar to Romo’s, though that is probably unrealistic for a play-by-play announcer. He is certainly due for a raise, however, as Joe Buck makes more than $10 million from FOX and Mike Tirico gets roughly the same amount from NBC.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Nantz Leaving CBS for ESPN?
  • Administrator

I don't remember the last time I watched ESPN.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

The play by play for Monday Night Football has ranged from seriously terrible to really flat the last few years. They could really use him.

He just might be able to get that big fat payday he wants

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’ll watch an occasional sporting event there, but I have to turn the volume down to keep from losing brain cells. The talking heads are almost intolerable. Jim is a perfect fit for the mindless chatter on that channel. 

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Faldo was actually kinda funny this week.  Does anyone know why we didn't see an appearance, as happens every year, of Clint Eastwood?

I would imagine that he is staying rather secluded given the pandemic. 

- Shane

I don't think Nantz is going anywhere; ESPN doesn't offer certain things that CBS has (March Madness), weekend Masters and most of the golf tournaments. Especially, Nantz loves broadcastng golf. Plus, Disney doesn't like to pay employees big money, esp if it's more than their CEO lol (example - the number of layoffs from ESPN over the past couple of years and the quality of talent they let go because of "budget reasons").

• Like 1

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

On 2/15/2021 at 9:57 PM, iacas said:

You’ve got a short memory.  I am pretty sure you watched the 2020 PGA, didn’t you?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, StuM said:

You’ve got a short memory.  I am pretty sure you watched the 2020 PGA, didn’t you?

Yes, on CBS.

TV coverage: 3-9 p.m. on CBS

I thought ESPN was getting rid of talent to save some $. How the hell are they going to pay Nantz? 

On 2/15/2021 at 9:57 PM, iacas said:

The only time I watch ESPN is for live sports. And I haven't done much of that now that college football is done. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yes, on CBS.

TV coverage: 3-9 p.m. on CBS

It was also on ESPN +

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, StuM said:

It was also on ESPN +

Which I didn’t subscribe to.

So again, I don't remember the last time I watched ESPN.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Which I didn’t subscribe to.

So again, I don't remember the last time I watched ESPN.

OK

Stuart M.

6 hours ago, paperclip said:

I don't think Nantz is going anywhere; ESPN doesn't offer certain things that CBS has (March Madness), weekend Masters and most of the golf tournaments. Especially, Nantz loves broadcastng golf. 

I agree with this. Nantz isn't going to trade the Masters, March Madness, and the Super Bowl for bad Monday Night Football games. 

That said, I would not mind getting Nantz off of CBS. He's not terrible, but he's completely bland. The next time he says something interesting will be the first. He also thinks very highly of himself. It would be nice to have someone with personality as a lead announcer for a change.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!