IGNORED

2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational

StuM
Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just turned on Round 1 and V. Hoveland was putting, using Aimpoint on a short putt on #16.  Distance @ 4 feet.  The commentators decided to briefly discuss AimPoint and one of them, not sure which one, said AimPoint was over his head.  I read a lot on AimPoint and I feel I understand the concept.  Not sure if I can APPLY the system but I understand it.

For the record, Hoveland's 1st putt was @ 24 feet and he used AimPoint on it and that left the 4 footer that he sunk for birdie.

Overall looking like it could be an interesting tournament.

Edited by StuM
Added content & fixed typo
  • Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, StuM said:

Just turned on Round 1 and V. Hoveland was putting, using Aimpoint on a short putt on #16.  Distance @ 4 feet.  The commentators decided to briefly discuss AimPoint and one of them, not sure which one, said AimPoint was over his head.  I read a lot on AimPoint and I feel I understand the concept.  Not sure if I can APPLY the system but I understand it.

For the record, Hoveland's 1st putt was @ 24 feet and he used AimPoint on it and that left the 4 footer that he sunk for birdie.

They must have been really poor students in school. AimPoint is easy to learn. I tend to tune them out and either read the forum or do a crossword.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Of the top 10 american golfers in the world as of today only 2 are playing in Arnie's tourney. Is there a reason that more of these better golfers don't play in the tournament? I would think out of respect for Arnie more would be in the field. Say what you will about Patrick Reed but he is showing Arnie some  respect. Am I reading more into this then there is? Im disappointed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rod7515 said:

Of the top 10 american golfers in the world as of today only 2 are playing in Arnie's tourney. Is there a reason that more of these better golfers don't play in the tournament? I would think out of respect for Arnie more would be in the field. Say what you will about Patrick Reed but he is showing Arnie some  respect. Am I reading more into this then there is? Im disappointed. 

Good question.  My only guess is taking a break before next week's Player's Championship which has a larger purse and a few more Fed-Ex points.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

They must have been really poor students in school. AimPoint is easy to learn. I tend to tune them out and either read the forum or do a crossword.

Oh bs...you’re sketching some meticulous blueprints or building something...😂

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

So looks like Bryson didn't try to drive the green on #6 today?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

2 hours ago, StuM said:

Good question.  My only guess is taking a break before next week's Player's Championship which has a larger purse and a few more Fed-Ex points.

This would be my guess, too.

4 hours ago, StuM said:

I saw that and also was surprised at the announcer's comments. It's not like Aimpoint is a new thing or all that difficult a concept to "get". I also thought a 4 foot putt was maybe a bit short for Aimpoint but I noted that all he did was "feel" the slope with his feet - he didn't apply a finger that I saw.

I was disappointed in Horschel slamming his driver into the ground on the tee a couple of times. I forget which hole it was but, really? He threw his ball into the water on 18 - like it was the ball's fault he couldn't putt.  Seems like he could have found a kid in the gallery to give it to...

I believe even with the Players next week, if Arnie was alive, more big name players would attend his tournament.   Covid and Arnie's death changed everything.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, rod7515 said:

I would think out of respect for Arnie more would be in the field. 

Say what you will about Patrick Reed but he is showing Arnie some  respect. 

When Arnie was alive, yes. 

Just like the Byron Nelson Tournament.

Fields are not what they were when the hosts were there. Sad, yes. True, yes.

You imply that 8 of the U.S. top 10 are being disrespectful to Arnold Palmer because they aren't playing. I don't think that's fair at all.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

9 hours ago, Zippo said:

I was disappointed in Horschel slamming his driver into the ground on the tee a couple of times. I forget which hole it was but, really? He threw his ball into the water on 18 - like it was the ball's fault he couldn't putt.  Seems like he could have found a kid in the gallery to give it to

I was not happy the way he tossed his putter in the air on 18 after the missed putt then caught it one handed.  If he had missed the catch it would have put a nasty hole on the green.  I like them playing with emotion and he did make the catch but to risk damaging the green is bad in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, StuM said:

I was not happy the way he tossed his putter in the air on 18 after the missed putt then caught it one handed.  If he had missed the catch it would have put a nasty hole on the green.  I like them playing with emotion and he did make the catch but to risk damaging the green is bad in my opinion.

But he caught it so…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, StuM said:

I was not happy the way he tossed his putter in the air on 18 after the missed putt then caught it one handed.  If he had missed the catch it would have put a nasty hole on the green.  I like them playing with emotion and he did make the catch but

I don’t think you can have it both ways...they are either going to play with emotion (both positive & negative) or they won’t.
To your point, I also enjoy seeing them relatable, rather than a stiff ice cold professional. Granted, guys like DJ who seem impervious to  the externals benefit from that ability, but still fun to see guys be human out there 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, StuM said:

He is one guy I can't figure out if like him or not. I heard him on a podcast and he seemed pretty cool but when I see him do an interview or on the golf course, I'm just not a big fan. He strikes me as a quirky guy. But maybe I'm just reading him wrong?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I wonder if anybody will actually aim to drive the green on #6.  Rory is long enough to get there, considering he outdrove Bryson today.  I just think the risk is too high if you get it wrong.

Onto another topic. I believe Rory can actually win this tournament and in doing so be the favourite to win another major at Augusta.  His game is peaking well enough

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I don’t think you can have it both ways...they are either going to play with emotion (both positive & negative) or they won’t.
To your point, I also enjoy seeing them relatable, rather than a stiff ice cold professional. Granted, guys like DJ who seem impervious to  the externals benefit from that ability, but still fun to see guys be human out there 

Do you think that Viktor Hovland is not playing with emotion or not human? What about the other 70 or so players in the field that aren't slamming or throwing their clubs, damaging the grounds, purposely littering, or screaming obscenities? Are they not human or passionate? I don't equate passion in golf with displays of angry childish behavior.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think I've ever seen Billy Horschel not appear to be running hot. Maybe he needs angry/intense energy to play well.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

55 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Do you think that Viktor Hovland is not playing with emotion or not human? What about the other 70 or so players in the field that aren't slamming or throwing their clubs, damaging the grounds, purposely littering, or screaming obscenities? Are they not human or passionate? I don't equate passion in golf with displays of angry childish behavior.

oh, I'd agree with you there, I play with emotion and don't act like I'm 3yo - the point I was trying to convey, was that if people are "playing with emotion," some are going to manifest it differently; while we all curb our behaviors despite strong emotions at times, not everyone will, or is able to, to the same degree. So, in response to the quoted comment, I trying to say that I would prefer to see the emotion of players, accepting an occasional outburst, than have them not play with emotion, and because different people are going to handle their emotions differently, I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 hours ago, StuM said:

Jeez man...eeeeassssy.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!