IGNORED

Spalding Molitor Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was out playing alone today and the course was slow. I had a Spalding Molitor golf ball in bight orange that someone had splashed and I found. It looked to be in decent shape so I thought I'd give it a try with my driver and see how it went. Dang! If I ever try and drive one of those things again I'm going to make sure I'm wearing ear protection! Man, what a bang. I don't think I've ever driven a ball that was so loud coming off the club. Didn't get any extra distance so I consigned it to my home practice range where it'll serve as yet another practice ball. Probably end up splashed in my pond!

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Make sure your driver face isn't dented....

Thanks. I actually did check for a dent. After checking the Internet I see them listed as an "85" compression. And they're $13 for 15 balls. Next time I should probably do the research BEFORE setting a ball on the tee.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:13 PM, Zippo said:

Thanks. I actually did check for a dent. After checking the Internet I see them listed as an "85" compression. And they're $13 for 15 balls. Next time I should probably do the research BEFORE setting a ball on the tee.

I don’t think the sound the ball made had anything to do with the compression rating. 85 isn’t exactly rock hard. Pro V1s are about 100.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don’t think the sound the ball made had anything to do with the compression rating. 85 isn’t exactly rock hard. Pro V1s are about 100.

Thanks. What do you think might have caused the very loud noise? I hit a Srixion soft feel next and they carried about the same distance but a pronounced difference in the sound. Perhaps the covering?

25 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Thanks. What do you think might have caused the very loud noise? I hit a Srixion soft feel next and they carried about the same distance but a pronounced difference in the sound. Perhaps the covering?

I found a Paul Molitor the other day.  I will try hitting it on Monday and let you know about the sound.

35 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The core comes into play more than the cover at driver speeds. That and the impact location on the club itself. Mishits are louder.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

The core comes into play more than the cover at driver speeds. That and the impact location on the club itself. Mishits are louder.

With my handicap I'm pretty familiar with mishits and how they feel and sound but I don't think that was one. But, you gave me an idea. I think I'll try that ball with my M1 driver on my home range tomorrow and check it out. Thanks, @billchao

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

With my handicap I'm pretty familiar with mishits and how they feel and sound but I don't think that was one. But, you gave me an idea. I think I'll try that ball with my M1 driver on my home range tomorrow and check it out. Thanks, @billchao

I have a home range too, where I hit nice balls that I find on the course. There have been a few that just feel and sound totally different than expected. They’re not crappy balls, so I always figured the exposure to elements changed the attributes of the ball. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

8 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I have a home range too, where I hit nice balls that I find on the course. There have been a few that just feel and sound totally different than expected. They’re not crappy balls, so I always figured the exposure to elements changed the attributes of the ball. 

Yea, that’s a possibility, too.

Bill

My Swing Thread

16 hours ago, Zippo said:

It could also be a thicker cover with the cheaper core material. Pinnacles make a louder noise than other balls in my practice set. I find them on the course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 4/1/2021 at 6:59 PM, Zippo said:

I was out playing alone today and the course was slow. I had a Spalding Molitor golf ball in bight orange that someone had splashed and I found. It looked to be in decent shape so I thought I'd give it a try with my driver and see how it went. Dang! If I ever try and drive one of those things again I'm going to make sure I'm wearing ear protection! Man, what a bang. I don't think I've ever driven a ball that was so loud coming off the club. Didn't get any extra distance so I consigned it to my home practice range where it'll serve as yet another practice ball. Probably end up splashed in my pond!

Zippo. Your golf course is 20.6 miles from my home. This explains the sonic boom I thought I heard on Thursday.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Zippo. Your golf course is 20.6 miles from my home. This explains the sonic boom I thought I heard on Thursday.

It was loud and I hit it well so if you find an orange Molitor in your yard it’s mine!

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Do you remember the titanium golf balls?  Off a titanium driver face those suckers should have gone 500 yards!

Titanium attracts titanium, so no, it actually reduced the initial velocity. If the ball was made from neodymium which is repelled by titanium, you would get a boost in initial velocity.

Spoiler

If you believe all that BS, then I have a bridge to sell you.

- Shane

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

Titanium attracts titanium, so no, it actually reduced the initial velocity. If the ball was made from neodymium which is repelled by titanium, you would get a boost in initial velocity.

Hide contents

If you believe all that BS, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Thank you Mr. Nye.  Where can I buy these neodymium golf balls you speak of?

Note: This thread is 1088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!