IGNORED

Arm Lock Putting - Ban or Continue to Allow?

iacas

Arm Lock Putting  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were czar of the USGA and R&A, would you ban or continue to allow "Arm Lock" putting?

• Continue to Allow
    • Find a Way to Ban

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

The AMC guys think (and show) the arm lock produces a more consistent stroke:

My putting is so bad these days that I'll probably go try one.

Showing and proving are two different things. This wasn’t a properly designed experiment. Sample size is small and not randomized. It may work for you, but having a properly fit putter could work just as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Showing and proving are two different things. This wasn’t a properly designed experiment. Sample size is small and not randomized. It may work for you, but having a properly fit putter could work just as well.

Yes. Simply another point of view. But I will probably still give it a try. 

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

By all means try it. I was stating that their conclusion about consistency was a bit lacking of data.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Our game is difficult enough without having the ruling bodies try to satisfy the butt hurt so called "purists. Play, enjoy, play again. And invite a non golfing friend! Rediculous arbitrary rules hurt the game.

5 minutes ago, Bucks said:

Our game is difficult enough without having the ruling bodies try to satisfy the butt hurt so called "purists. Play, enjoy, play again. And invite a non golfing friend! Rediculous arbitrary rules hurt the game.

If you looked at the poll, you'd see that a significant majority of those here agree that armlock putting should continue to be allowed.  On the other hand, there's very little to be gained by insulting those who would choose otherwise, calling anyone "butt hurt" can't ever be productive.  And honestly, every rule of any kind draws some kind of arbitrary line, arbitraryness is inherent in rulemaking.  Overall, I think the Rules of Golf do a pretty logical job of drawing the lines.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If you looked at the poll, you'd see that a significant majority of those here agree that armlock putting should continue to be allowed.  On the other hand, there's very little to be gained by insulting those who would choose otherwise, calling anyone "butt hurt" can't ever be productive.  And honestly, every rule of any kind draws some kind of arbitrary line, arbitraryness is inherent in rulemaking.  Overall, I think the Rules of Golf do a pretty logical job of drawing the lines.

Ahh, the voice of reason speaks up.  Good job.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Zippo, put some clothes on.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bucks said:

Already addressed, but to point out again… all of the rules are pretty "arbitrary."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Already addressed, but to point out again… all of the rules are pretty "arbitrary."

And some are even ridiculous to many 🙂

• 1 month later...

I voted no, and personally feel the anchor putting should be allowed if this is.

I personally feel you should roll the ball in however you want and dont see why they like one style over the other.

Edited by cutchemist42

At the club level, I've never seen anyone using an anchored putter of any kind become anything better than an average putter. It keeps these guys playing, and enjoying the game. At that level, I am totally in favor of arm lock putting. At the professional level, I'm not too sure. 

• 11 months later...

Currently after a 8 month period using a new Arm-lock putter 80+ rounds + 100hrs practice.. I've decided to go back to a mallet "Cobra supernova" which going off my putting per round numbers is still my best putter style average....

If anything I've got worse with the arm-lock ..av mid 30's putts per round

prior I used a blade>Odyssey wide.. for several months

prior a fisher pro mallet for  (which was great outside longer putts where it was a soft face ball came of slow)

I'm very much a straight threw style putter ..I've decided of late is what works for me...

disclosure> MY putting is really holding back my game as I have good length of the tee and fairway so even from the tips I don't have any issue making any of are PAR4s in two... 

One of my recent rounds I had 42putts !!! but a total score of 86 .. and thats on a 6500yd course

My issues with the arm lock namely > Odyssey double wide 42

short putts I can't seem to get a style I like to hold ..but one I worked on recently was having it held much more upright ..but the issue is its a heavy long putter I felt the head to be very poor feel to get my distance right ...

longer lag putts you could really rip the ball a long distance without much effort ...so its one real positive was putting off the green and from the lip really good because of the swinging mass using your shoulders etc ...

but for every decent lag putt I would go past or come up short three feet+ and not really know how I did it as the feel wasn't much different on the two ...

I think for sure it would help with the yips in close(at time it was brilliant for me) ... but I think for me keeping my putting as simple as possible the better and the arm-lock just needed so much more physical attention ....

So IMHO nil advantages over all distances of putts ....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Go Foxy Go