IGNORED

Arm Lock Putting - Ban or Continue to Allow?

iacas

Arm Lock Putting  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were czar of the USGA and R&A, would you ban or continue to allow "Arm Lock" putting?

• Continue to Allow
    • Find a Way to Ban

• Administrator

Poll gets your answer, and poses the question, and the replies are for you to justify your vote.

Me, I don't really care. It's got some advantages, I'm sure, but so does the claw putting grip, or the conventional putting grip. And it has disadvantages, too.

It's legal because the putter can move about in 3D space, no point is really fixed, and the arms swing freely too, unlike the anchored putting stroke (really could have used a better name), where the grip end is usually fixed in 3D space.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted to continue to allow because I am currently using it. 😁

• Funny 2

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I think it’s ok because you still require the arms and hands to control the club without a fixed point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I voted to allow. Langer and McCarron still anchor so what the hell....anchors away! 🤣

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I was talking to a Sr PGA Tour member and 4 time PGA winner 2 months ago and he mentioned that this would be the next big thing. He didn't have a big problem with it and thought it may extend a few careers. He did have an issue with anchoring and said that many guys still have a problem with Langer's non-anchored approach to the long putter. Interestingly enough he said he saw an elderly Sam Snead demo his illegal side saddle stroke and how he was lethal. 

Personally, I don't have an issue with it, and honestly didn't have an issue with the belly putter either. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I have no issues with it so I voted continue to allow.  I putt very conventionally so it makes no difference to me, but I kinda like watching the pros try to find ways to be innovative with their putters and putting style.

I voted to ban the arm lock.   I realize there isn't a fixed point and I really don't have any real reason to dislike it, I just do.  

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a anchored putt.   :no:

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I feel like arm lock adds stability and mechanically reduces a degree of freedom in case of a wristy stroke. So ban it.

Vishal S.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I feel like arm lock adds stability and mechanically reduces a degree of freedom in case of a wristy stroke. So ban it.

It has negatives, too. And a heavier putter tends to "add stability and reduce a degree of freedom" too. Ban those too? What weight is acceptable to you?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

I voted to continue to allow because I am currently using it. 😁

Which one you using? 

And I voted to allow, golf is hard, if it helps go for it.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

3 hours ago, iacas said:

It has negatives, too. And a heavier putter tends to "add stability and reduce a degree of freedom" too. Ban those too? What weight is acceptable to you?

I get your point. I just think it is tad bit similar to broomsticks that have contact to the body (forearms in this case) in addition to palms. A tiny skill cheat IMO. 

From what I understand weight has an individual sweet spot. Any heavier and distance consistency  suffers. 

Of course this all is based on a sample size of one - me vs. a few thousand of yours. So yeah.. don't think I will be exactly picketing for a ban or anything, just a little light Thursday afternoon musing..😊.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

I don't mind it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Voted no.

I think armlock putting looks kind of weird, especially the Zalatoris armlock claw stroke and Bryson's robotic motion, but I don't really care (I have a LAB DF 2.1, so it's not like my putter looks cool or anything). I don't see a reason to ban armlock as compared to the broomstick or belly putters which actually seem to have an anchor point.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I also voted no. 
I just don't see it as a huge advantage. 

I supported the belly putter ban. I think that's enough.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'm going to preface this by saying I don't think any putting styles should be banned but if you are going to ban other anchoring styles it seems logical that this shouldn't be allowed as well. I don't see why they don't just make the rule that only your hands can make contact with the club when swinging and call it a day. 

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

I'm going to preface this by saying I don't think any putting styles should be banned but if you are going to ban other anchoring styles it seems logical that this shouldn't be allowed as well. I don't see why they don't just make the rule that only your hands can make contact with the club when swinging and call it a day. 

The anchoring ban banned strokes in which a point was "anchored" in 3D space, or "fixed" in space.

The Arm Lock putting style doesn't fix the putter (or arms) in place like they do.

14 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Which one you using? 

It's an Odyssey I made from this long putter.

Screenshot_20180511-202313.jpg.26b65f354dc0494809d59dbe324f720b.jpg

Had the shaft changed and new grip put on it.

20210416_093724.jpg.0f634e4b6507e1c399039a36291e88f2.jpg20210416_093746.jpg.bef43209924894b05d79251d4e94d46a.jpg

Could never get comfortable with the long one with the split grip. Arm Lock seems to be more stable on shorter putts. 

I still suck with speed.  🤷‍♂️

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF