IGNORED

PING Putter Favorite

Note: This thread is 1053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really liked the Ping Nome TR that had adjustable length. Nice and heavy too. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1967 Ping BLD. Zip Code 85029. Mag. bronz. with floating face.

Double bend shaft, large cavity back blade (like a Pal).

As forgiving as a putter can get.

I should know I own about 25 vintage putters, and about forty modern day (yr. 2000 >) Bettinardi's, S. Camerons, Cleveland TA Milled's, Tad Moores, Bellum Wincmore's and Edels.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GAA said:

1967 Ping BLD. Zip Code 85029. Mag. bronz. with floating face.

Double bend shaft, large cavity back blade (like a Pal).

As forgiving as a putter can get.

I should know I own about 25 vintage putters, and about forty modern day (yr. 2000 >) Bettinardi's, S. Camerons, Cleveland TA Milled's, Tad Moores, Bellum Wincmore's and Edels.

image.gif.744f0768ecd88ae8697066e1ce0f831e.gif

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Ping Anser 5 milled model.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

• iacas changed the title to PING Putter Favorite
  • Administrator

I don't have one. I've never really used a PING putter.

(Generally) Flat piece of metal on the end of a stick. Nothing special.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ping Anser  - most revolutionary putter ever and copied by pretty much every single manufacturer since and virtually unchanged in 50 years. I think that's pretty special. There are millions of Cameron users who think they're using putters that are not copies. :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Ping Anser  - most revolutionary putter ever and copied by pretty much every single manufacturer since and virtually unchanged in 50 years. I think that's pretty special. There are millions of Cameron users who think they're using putters that are not copies. :-)

It's not that special.

The Bullseye, the Wilson 8802… those were also copied. As has been the two-ball, the Spider style, yada yada.

It's a (usually) flat piece of (usually) metal at the end of a shaft.

PING isn't particularly great. Nor is SC. Or Odyssey. Or Edel, outside of their fitting system (much more so on their older putters).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's not that special.

The Bullseye, the Wilson 8802… those were also copied. As has been the two-ball, the Spider style, yada yada.

It's a (usually) flat piece of (usually) metal at the end of a shaft.

PING isn't particularly great. Nor is SC. Or Odyssey. Or Edel, outside of their fitting system (much more so on their older putters).

All types of putters are pretty much derivatives of their predecessors but the thing about the original Anser is that it was the first to use the idea of peripheral weighting. And that does make it important.

Having said that, we agree that if a putter works for you that's all that matters. Nothing irritates me more in putter discussions than people who somehow have the belief that an SC putter is the "best". Scotty Cameron is a genius marketer. 

I've never owned a Ping putter that's heavy enough. But that's just me.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Shorty said:

All types of putters are pretty much derivatives of their predecessors but the thing about the original Anser is that it was the first to use the idea of peripheral weighting. And that does make it important.

Meh. If they hadn't done it, someone would have. And I didn't say it wasn't "important."

And please, you know I know this stuff.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Meh. If they hadn't done it, someone would have. And I didn't say it wasn't "important."

And please, you know I know this stuff.

I absolutely know that you know this stuff. We don't need to debate that. I am interpreting the word "special" in this context as revolutionary/groundbreaking in terms of engineering and design in the evolution of putter design.

I certainly do not think that there is a putter that is special in any intrinsic sense. Like you say - they're flat bits of metal on a stick. Agreed.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Has this helped your game any?

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, NHpro said:

Has this helped your game any?

I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm a great putter.

21 hours ago, Shorty said:

Karsten Solheim designed both, but the first perimeter-weighted putter was the 1A.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Karsten Solheim designed both, but the first perimeter-weighted putter was the 1A.

Was that the one that made the sound, the actual "ping"?

To the original question, for no apparent reason I've always liked the look of the B60, with the curved or "scalloped" trailing flange.  My wife picked up a G5i version 15 years ago or more as a gift for me, and I've used it ever since.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Was that the one that made the sound, the actual "ping"?

That’s the one. The “ping” putter.

I think about getting one sometimes because I think it’s neat, but I never do because I have better things to do with my money than letting it collect dust in the basement. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 hours ago, billchao said:

That’s the one. The “ping” putter.

I think about getting one sometimes because I think it’s neat, but I never do because I have better things to do with my money than letting it collect dust in the basement. 

My putter has a similar slot, SC Newport Beach, but doesn’t ping. It does give a nice feel on contact though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

My putter has a similar slot, SC Newport Beach, but doesn’t ping. It does give a nice feel on contact though.

I think something like 90% of what we call feel is sound.

In this particular case, I mean. Not "pressure" and "heat" and "pain" and other sorts of "feel" sensations.

Note: This thread is 1053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!