IGNORED

Lifting the Left Heel

Note:Β This thread is 1083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've always had a strong aversion to the left heel coming off the ground.Β  When I would see other do it I felt very cringy.Β  Thanks to some injuries and some extra lbs, I've been having trouble getting my hands into the right position at the top of my backswing.Β  I've flared my right foot a little and it helped some but not enough.Β  I randomly decided to try lifting my left heel a little while hitting a bucket at the range.Β  The results were dramatic.Β  What do you think about the practice of lifting the left heel?

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

26 minutes ago, vct33 said:

I've always had a strong aversion to the left heel coming off the ground.Β  When I would see other do it I felt very cringy.Β  Thanks to some injuries and some extra lbs, I've been having trouble getting my hands into the right position at the top of my backswing.Β  I've flared my right foot a little and it helped some but not enough.Β  I randomly decided to try lifting my left heel a little while hitting a bucket at the range.Β  The results were dramatic.Β  What do you think about the practice of lifting the left heel?

The results will be temporary. I’ll let the swing gurus comment on the possible benefits of doing it. But a sudden change yielding β€˜drastic’ results is usually temporary.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, vct33 said:

I started doing it per my instructor. It does add a bit of rotation and then unweighting a replanting can add some speed.Β Best advice is to film your swing doing with and without lifting and see what changes.Β 

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

46 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

The results will be temporary. I’ll let the swing gurus comment on the possible benefits of doing it. But a sudden change yielding β€˜drastic’ results is usually temporary.

More often than not its a "range groove".Β  Until it replicates on the course don't be looking for a sponsorΒ on the PGA Tour...

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

More often than not its a "range groove".Β  Until it replicates on the course don't be looking for a sponsorΒ on the PGA Tour...

Yeah…I know we sound like Debbie Downers…but this happens all too often. It’s the ever popular β€˜eureka’ moment that almost always crushes the soul in a day or so…..

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah…I know we sound like Debbie Downers…but this happens all too often. It’s the ever popular β€˜eureka’ moment that almost always crushes the soul in a day or so…..

Umm, I'm not asking for opinions on the results.Β  I understand that not everything on the range translates to the course.Β  I'm asking for opinions on whether or not you believe it's ok for the left heel to come up.

Β 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I started doing it per my instructor. It does add a bit of rotation and then unweighting a replanting can add some speed.Β Best advice is to film your swing doing with and without lifting and see what changes.Β 

Thank you for actually answering the question I asked.Β  That's interesting that your instructor gave you that advise.Β  I'm not the same student of the game that I was in my prime 20 years ago but it was always kind ofΒ frowned upon then.

My equipment:

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Putter - STX Envision

11 minutes ago, vct33 said:

I'm asking for opinions on whether or not you believe it's ok for the left heel to come up.

Yes, it's okay.Β  Jack did it.Β  Many others.Β  I can see the value if you are no longer as flexible as you were in your youth.Β  Personally, I believe it requires more timing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve been told that letting your foot come up is fine. Purposely lifting it may cause some problems. If your flexibility causes your foot to come up during the backswing it’s fine I would believe.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve been told that letting your foot come up is fine. Purposely lifting it may cause some problems. If your flexibility causes your foot to come up during the backswing it’s fine I would believe.

It’s basically this, letting it rise. My instructor used Stenson, Nicklaus and Kyle Berkshire as examples with a slight shift back. It can add power for the driver. But I had already solidified other back and downswingΒ elements.Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Thanks.Β  This is actually a much better description.Β  I'm not actively lifting my heel it's more that I'm no longer consciously keeping it down.Β  As a result it's coming up a bit and I'm getting to a better position at the top.

• Like 1

My equipment:

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Putter - STX Envision

8 hours ago, vct33 said:

I find, as an old geezer just a bit away from the edge of the mortality table, that lifting the lead heel and letting my lead knee point towards or even slightly behind the ball, gives me a bit more rotation and the act of replanting it improves my pressure shift to the lead foot. My handicap is slowing creeping downwards so it seems to be working for me or, at least, it FEELS like it's working...  😈

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vct33 said:

Thanks.Β  This is actually a much better description.Β  I'm not actively lifting my heel it's more that I'm no longer consciously keeping it down.Β  As a result it's coming up a bit and I'm getting to a better position at the top.

I think you’re on the right track with this. You don’t want to lift the heel just for the sake of lifting it, but you also don’t want to forcibly keep it down, either.

Some people can make a good turn without lifting the lead heel and some can’t. The heel itself is not the important part.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I am not a guru but it certainly seems plausible to me that a swing would be learned based on a certain degree of hip rotation and if you have lost muscular flexibility it is also plausible that you would need to let your heel come off the ground during the backswing to achieve that same range of motion.

21 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It’s basically this, letting it rise. My instructor used Stenson, Nicklaus and Kyle Berkshire as examples with a slight shift back. It can add power for the driver. But I had already solidified other back and downswingΒ elements.Β 

I dunno if this is 100% relevant to the thread but I recently watched this video Kyle Berkshire uploaded and found his preshot routine to be super fascinating. For long drive this kind of motion makes a ton of sense before initiating the backswing.Β 

Maybe this is better for a thread specifically about this, but check out the time stamp here. Really cool he has this in his swing:

I dunno how safe this would be for amateurs to use, but I think a lot of people who get too stack-and-tilty in the backswing could benefit from trying this on the range sometime -- as long as it's done properly and doesn't introduce some ugly hip sway or something. In the hands of a more self-aware swing tinkerer tho, this could be useful, I dunno.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but he does lift his lead heel at least on the backswingΒ πŸ˜„Β Perhaps this is a placebo of sorts, but I could see how this exaggerated hopping back-and-forth just before drawing the club back could be beneficial in loading the trail side well.

Constantine

3 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

I dunno if this is 100% relevant to the thread but I recently watched this video Kyle Berkshire uploaded and found his preshot routine to be super fascinating. For long drive this kind of motion makes a ton of sense before initiating the backswing.Β 

Maybe this is better for a thread specifically about this, but check out the time stamp here. Really cool he has this in his swing:

I dunno how safe this would be for amateurs to use, but I think a lot of people who get too stack-and-tilty in the backswing could benefit from trying this on the range sometime -- as long as it's done properly and doesn't introduce some ugly hip sway or something. In the hands of a more self-aware swing tinkerer tho, this could be useful, I dunno.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but he does lift his lead heel at least on the backswingΒ πŸ˜„Β Perhaps this is a placebo of sorts, but I could see how this exaggerated hopping back-and-forth just before drawing the club back could be beneficial in loading the trail side well.

It’s a good drill to do with lifting the front heel. It’s similar to the full swing flow COVID drill. The feel I use is more planting the left foot back down and pushing back.

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

I tried this for about two weeks.Β  Was great on the range.Β  Not so much on the course.Β  And I couldn't hit it quite as long as Kyle.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Funny 2

Note:Β This thread is 1083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!