IGNORED

Hensby Receives Ten Penalty Strokes

iacas
Note: This thread is 1060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Damn that’s a tough break. I wish they would’ve posted a pic comparing the two balls. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I knew we could not change during  a hole but between holes was OK. Model Local Rule G-4 is a local rule so my question is, is it often used in other competitive rounds or primarily on the “Tours”?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

12 minutes ago, StuM said:

I knew we could not change during  a hole but between holes was OK. Model Local Rule G-4 is a local rule so my question is, is it often used in other competitive rounds or primarily on the “Tours”?

But this issue was playing a different type of ball. Not just changing balls.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

44 minutes ago, StuM said:

I knew we could not change during  a hole but between holes was OK. 

In certain circumstances you can now.

45 minutes ago, StuM said:

Model Local Rule G-4 is a local rule so my question is, is it often used in other competitive rounds or primarily on the “Tours”?

Primarily on the Tours and in some competitions where the organisers want people to think it's a 'big boys' event.

Good on him for his honesty - with that being only his 2nd tourn in 3 years, I’m sure he could’ve used the money

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

43 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Good on him for his honesty - with that being only his 2nd tourn in 3 years, I’m sure he could’ve used the money

Yep.  That would’ve been very easy to ignore, had he been of a mind to.

Good for him!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For a 10 stroke penalty, my mind went to an equipment issue like too many clubs or something. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

For a 10 stroke penalty, my mind went to an equipment issue like too many clubs or something. 

Well, the golf ball is part of the equipment, you were right on target.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

For me, this highlights the 2019 rule change that no longer limits this type of penalty to 4 strokes (or the error/mistake being active for 2 holes), but instead carries on, per hole, until the problem is corrected.  That is something I just learned now, so thanks, I guess?

FWIW, this means that if you forget a 15th club in your bag and play the whole round with it, you need to add a cool 36 strokes to your (let's call it not great to begin with) 95, to end up with an absurdly high smooth 131!  Wow.  The only silver lining I see is that since you get to only record a net double for handicap purposes, that round may end up being recorded with ESC as a 104 instead...  🙂

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 6/12/2021 at 3:34 PM, sjduffers said:

FWIW, this means that if you forget a 15th club in your bag and play the whole round with it, you need to add a cool 36 strokes to your (let's call it not great to begin with) 95, to end up with an absurdly high smooth 131!  Wow.  The only silver lining I see is that since you get to only record a net double for handicap purposes, that round may end up being recorded with ESC as a 104 instead...  🙂

That is not correct. The maximum penalty per round for more than 14 clubs is 4 strokes. See rule 4.1b. 

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, reidsou said:

That is not correct. The maximum penalty per round for more than 14 clubs is 4 strokes. See rule 4.1b. 

Indeed. I stand corrected. Thanks.

I knew about this 4 strokes maximum in the pre-2019 rules, but with this ruling of two strokes per hole for 5 holes for using the wrong ball, I would imagine (and apparently, I did imagine) that the same would apply to too many clubs. I see that's not the case, and now I am even more confused. Why or why not? What's the difference? In both cases, improper equipment is being used (and most likely not consciously in both cases): why penalize one case with 2 strokes per hole until corrected, but only for a maximum of 2 two holes in the case of too many clubs?  SMH...

Philippe

4 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I knew about this 4 strokes maximum in the pre-2019 rules, but with this ruling of two strokes per hole for 5 holes for using the wrong ball, I would imagine (and apparently, I did imagine) that the same would apply to too many clubs. I see that's not the case, and now I am even more confused. Why or why not? What's the difference? In both cases, improper equipment is being used (and most likely not consciously in both cases): why penalize one case with 2 strokes per hole until corrected, but only for a maximum of 2 two holes in the case of too many clubs?  SMH...

The player did not violate rule 4.2a that covers non-conforming golf balls. The penalty for breaking that rule is DQ.

Instead, the player broke the "one ball rule" - see Committee Procedures chapter 8, model local rule G-4. The player gets the general penalty (two strokes) for each hole mistakenly played with a different brand or model ball (until the mistake is discovered). Intentionally playing a different brand or model penalty is DQ. See the rule for details.   

11 hours ago, reidsou said:

The player did not violate rule 4.2a that covers non-conforming golf balls. The penalty for breaking that rule is DQ.

Instead, the player broke the "one ball rule" - see Committee Procedures chapter 8, model local rule G-4. The player gets the general penalty (two strokes) for each hole mistakenly played with a different brand or model ball (until the mistake is discovered). Intentionally playing a different brand or model penalty is DQ. See the rule for details.   

Thanks for that. But why a 2 strokes penalty per hole for unintentionally playing the wrong type of ball, until the mistake is discovered and rectified, while at the same time the penalty for unintentionally playing with too many clubs is capped at 2 strokes penalty for 2 holes maximum (only). What is different between those two, and how does that make any sense?

I agree that one is a general rule applying to all golfers and the other is a local rule applying to high level competitions only. Is that it?

Philippe

• Administrator

Because playing with a different ball may not be consecutive. Maybe someone plays a higher spin ball on par threes. Or a lower spin ball on par fives.

15 clubs is consecutive.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I googled the reason for it and it also mentions that you also can’t change ball color as well for an advantage, but I’m having trouble coming up with something where the ball color changing during a round would be some type of advantage.   In other words, you can’t even use the exact same ball model with different colors in a round,

anyone come up with changing ball color during the round somehow would help?

—Adam

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I googled the reason for it and it also mentions that you also can’t change ball color as well for an advantage, but I’m having trouble coming up with something where the ball color changing during a round would be some type of advantage.   In other words, you can’t even use the exact same ball model with different colors in a round,

anyone come up with changing ball color during the round somehow would help?

They're different models of the ball. So they're two separate entries on the conforming ball list.

So you've technically "changed balls." That's all.

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

I agree that one is a general rule applying to all golfers and the other is a local rule applying to high level competitions only. Is that it?

Yes

• Informative 1

Note: This thread is 1060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!