IGNORED

Fight Breaks Out at Korn Ferry Qualifier

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Player at Monday qualifier complains to playing partner he should have helped him looked for lost ball and gets jumped by partner and partner's dad. Incident first reported on Twitter by Monday Q Info. Third player in group finishes round accompanied by official and gets refunded entry fee. Father and son are arrested.

After Dailey completed the hole he said something to Smiths about how helping to look for shots might help speed the group up. This was apparently a bridge too far for the Smiths.  According to Fribbs Luke and Oliver Smith started yelling at Dailey about his quality of play and how it was affecting the group. Oliver went on to make it clear that his son Luke, “wasn’t here to look for balls.” 

Dailey then turned his back and walked away towards the eighth tee. Little did he know that in a matter of seconds all hell would break loose. 

GettyImages-891479498-810x540.jpg

Golf? Please. Let's get ready to rumble, people. This is unreal. A fight at the KFT Monday Q causes quite a stir. Father and son allegedly team up to ensure a fight goes down the way they want it to go down.
GTY-1318021965.jpg?w=640

The fight was about one player not helping another search for a lost ball.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf meets WWE.  Too bad no video.

I do not understand why the uninvolved player got a refund. He was able to complete his round.  Pros need to handle distractions.  

Edited by StuM

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Mixed feelings on whether or not someone should have helped look for a lost ball, strong feelings that one should not have engaged in violence here.   

I am slightly less optimistic that this will not become a reality:

ysagnou46cfvmnheb1be.jpg

SPOKANE, WA—Arena golfer John Daly was forced to withdraw from the Dick's Sporting Goods Classic at Spokane Arena Friday, displaying...

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

It’s interesting that a fellow competitor won’t help. I’m pretty sure we all help someone in our group look for an errant ball.

But here they are trying to Monday Qualify. Perhaps they were tied or 1 up or down and dear old dad decided it would be in his sons best interest not to help.  Who knows, pure conjecture on my part.

How do you handle assisting a fellow player?  I have to say hitting my 2nd shot before assisting another player is my priority to keep my place of play going for the round. I’m more than happy to assist after that.

The only time I deviate from that is when they didn’t see where it went but I had a line on it. Did that several times today as a guest had poor eye site.  It actually helped pace of play.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

But here they are trying to Monday Qualify. Perhaps they were tied or 1 up or down and dear old dad decided it would be in his sons best interest not to help.  Who knows, pure conjecture on my part.

Or maybe they were on the other side of the hole and had gotten tired of him hitting balls into the shit, and they'd already looked for six other balls of his that day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe?   I think we all try to be helpful, but sometimes it can be annoying looking for another players ball on every other hole.  Today I probably walked an extra .5 mile looking helping him. I was walking, he was riding so that probably didn’t help.

I wonder if Brooks would help Bryson if they played together? 🤣🤣

Not good, but not really hard to sympathize a little bit.

Guys fighting for their pro golfing lives. One of em straight up sucks on this day. The other probably feels this hacker is going to cost him his shot at the tournament and possibly cost him money.

All ya need is a spark.

The Smiths should obviously never be allowed to play tournament golf again in their careers. Violence is 100% NO anywhere ever. End of story really. 

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

1 hour ago, Troy Ocker said:

The Smiths should obviously never be allowed to play tournament golf again in their careers. Violence is 100% NO anywhere ever. End of story really. 

That’s stupid. In hockey, you get a penalty with time in the box. But you want to take away their careers? Sheesh. 

9 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

That’s stupid. In hockey, you get a penalty with time in the box. But you want to take away their careers? Sheesh. 

Very different sports with very different standards of play, but yes a life-time ban would be a bit much.

Our pugilistic putter probably ought to be barred for a year from any Korn Ferry event. The stories say he plays college golf, so his program may feel the need to met something out as well.

25 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Hockey is a contact sport. Golf is not, this is equivalent with knocking down people that annoys you in the streets. If you tolerate this kind of behaviour anywhere in the civilized world, you're kind of back to the stone age... If you hit someone for being slow or annoying on the golfcourse, you belong in jail, not on the course. 

Edited by Troy Ocker
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Fights shouldn't happen in any sport other than pugilistic ones like karate or boxing etc. Any other is about sport, not fighting. End of discussion.

WRT helping your playing partner look for his ball, you don't have to.  My priority is finding my golf ball first, and if necessary hitting it, before I help somebody else look for theirs.  Save time from your game before helping somebody else.  Otherwise, everything will just get delayed, including your game.

The father getting involved is a bit much to be honest.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The father getting involved is a bit much to be honest.

The father was caddying.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, Troy Ocker said:

If you hit someone for being slow or annoying on the golfcourse, you belong in jail, not on the course.

I didn’t argue to the contrary. 

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

but yes a life-time ban would be a bit much.

@Troy Ocker, this was the point. Even the basketball players who participated in the Malice at the Palace didn’t receive lifetime bans, nor do baseball players (another non-contact sport). Fights break out in baseball all the time too. 

22 minutes ago, Troy Ocker said:

this is equivalent with knocking down people that annoys you in the streets.

No it’s not. 

Ok, was maybe a bit harsh. 

1st offense: 1 year ban. 

2nd offense: life ban. 

No sport needs people like this and it is not a human right to play competetive golf at a professional level. 

4 minutes ago, Troy Ocker said:

Ok, was maybe a bit harsh. 

1st offense: 1 year ban. 

2nd offense: life ban. 

No sport needs people like this and it is not a human right to play competetive golf at a professional level. 

I can get behind that.

Chalking something up as a very bad moment for a very young golfer is easy to rationalize.

It would be hard to fathom there being a second time, but if there is, our guy needs to find something else to do with his life. 

Seems like he has a larger issue of possible felony indictment if aggravated assualt/battery charges were filed. His hope is that of a misdemeanor if a good lawyer can knock it down to 'had a very bad day'.  

Worrying about a separate tour ban would be a secondary concern. Lifetime ban seems to be an over the top suggestion unless there were significant injuries, etc.    

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The father was caddying.

The guy needs a new caddy. Hopefully it is not a genetic issue and he can move past it with a more calming influence on his bag.

Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!