IGNORED

Did Golf Clubs Used to Have Flatter Lie Angles?

Note: This thread is 1022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To all you club builders out there that probably had to put whipping on wood clubs…. Did the clubs made say pre Ping Eye 2 era have flatter lie angles? (The PINGs were pretty upright for their time) … I will include a chart from my old 1988 book. Sports Illustrated: Golf Play Like A Pro. 

B573E5D5-8040-4D92-96B9-452D7322617A.thumb.jpeg.d7156591ab34e4fe70b60b31290101ef.jpeg

The Titleist 841 when I looked them were about 1° more upright than the lie angles listed on here.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here are the specs from my irons. My 6 iron is equivalent to their 5 in loft. My lie is steeper and length different. It may have to do with the shafts. If their shafts were heavier/thicker, they may have flexed less at impact and needed a flatter lie.

A88550B3-1D3C-4551-A8AC-846E7F954591.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I know the lengths are an inch shorter than now, but those are still some pretty flat lie angles.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

38 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Those are pretty standard for the time.

I figured that much. 

The Ping Eye 2 irons were around when the book was published and looking up the specs for them, I found that they (Black dot Eye 2’s) were substantially more upright than the numbers above.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

1 hour ago, Adam C said:

It was those Pings that probably forced the change to more upright lies.

This chart really doesn’t say, but was standard swingweight a little different in the old days?

You would think shorter clubs would play a little flatter anyway… am I reading too much into this?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

This chart really doesn’t say, but was standard swingweight a little different in the old days?

You would think shorter clubs would play a little flatter anyway… am I reading too much into this?

I think the old lie angles were all based on basic geometry which would give you lower needed lies. I think they now understand how the club act during the swing and the lies have moved accordingly. 

I don't recall the SW on the old stuff. The clubs were heavy overall but they were shorter so the swing weights were probably in the high C range. Ping for years, was always lighter in SW than the other major brands.

• Administrator

Shaft droop effectively flattens the lie angle of the club into delivery, too.

Shafts have always drooped, I'm not saying that's new.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 1:18 AM, onthehunt526 said:

To all you club builders out there that probably had to put whipping on wood clubs…. Did the clubs made say pre Ping Eye 2 era have flatter lie angles? (The PINGs were pretty upright for their time) … I will include a chart from my old 1988 book. Sports Illustrated: Golf Play Like A Pro. 

B573E5D5-8040-4D92-96B9-452D7322617A.thumb.jpeg.d7156591ab34e4fe70b60b31290101ef.jpeg

The Titleist 841 when I looked them were about 1° more upright than the lie angles listed on here.

Below are my new Ping Eye 2 iron specs:

3i   18 deg.

4i   22deg.

5i   26deg

6i   30deg

7i   34deg

8i   38deg

9i   42deg

PW  46deg

SW  54deg

Below are my new Ping Eye 2 specs:

All steel shafts have been replaced and made 3/4" longer over stock.

3i   18 deg.

4i   22deg.

5i   26deg

6i   30deg

7i   34deg

8i   38deg

9i   42deg

PW  46deg

SW  54deg

Edited by NHpro
additional info

1 hour ago, NHpro said:

Below are my new Ping Eye 2 iron specs:

3i   18 deg.

4i   22deg.

5i   26deg

6i   30deg

7i   34deg

8i   38deg

9i   42deg

PW  46deg

SW  54deg

Below are my new Ping Eye 2 specs:

All steel shafts have been replaced and made 3/4" longer over stock.

3i   18 deg.

4i   22deg.

5i   26deg

6i   30deg

7i   34deg

8i   38deg

9i   42deg

PW  46deg

SW  54deg

Lie angle, not loft.

Colin P.

I think some manufacturers at some times made their super game improvement clubs with more upright lies, as (all other things being equal) this will tend to make shots start more left and mitigate the effects of slicing to some degree. Whether it's still done or not in irons, I don't know. I think at one time the way "draw bias" was induced in adjustable hosel metal woods was to basically make them more upright.  Anyway those are reasons I think you may find that current specs in _some_ modern clubs are more upright than traditional specs. 

Edited by Big Lex

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Note: This thread is 1022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!