IGNORED

Should Louis Have Laid Up on #18 at Torrey?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 1033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

It was his best chance.

What about blowing it in the grandstands?

I didn’t see it because I was at work.

Edited by onthehunt526

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

Your second sentence tells the story here man.

The lie was terrible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I didn’t see it because I was at work.

The lie wasn't good enough to try that. On the telecast, Louis was talking about carrying a fairway wood MAYBE 190 out of that lie. A pro hitting a fairway wood MAYBE 190 just shows how bad that lie was. 

Just now, iacas said:

Your second sentence tells the story here man.

The lie was terrible.

So in other words he couldn’t go for it if he wanted to?

Just now, onthehunt526 said:

So in other words he couldn’t go for it if he wanted to?

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

The lie wasn't good enough to try that. On the telecast, Louis was talking about carrying a fairway wood MAYBE 190 out of that lie. A pro hitting a fairway wood MAYBE 190 just shows how bad that lie was. 

So he was in the shit? The US Open app was full of shit?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

So he was in the shit?

I suppose it depends upon your definition, but yeah, I’d say so. 

The US Open app was full of shit?

I don’t know what you’re getting at. 

I suppose it depends upon your definition, but yeah, I’d say so. 

I don’t know what you’re getting at. 

BCF48E08-3D0E-43E5-8D65-019DBDA312B6.thumb.png.88c0fdc77fa320aea5dea56a79024959.png

This ^

It was the 3 inch shit, not the intermediate?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

@onthehunt526, I just recall Louis talking about the fairway wood carrying maybe 190 and then rolling up. When I heard him say that, I knew the caddy was going to tell him that they had a better chance by laying up. I think the caddy even said something like if he tried the hero shot, it could end up good but he could also go into the water. If he lays up, it for sure won’t go in the water, and they have a crack at it with a wedge. 

I think they made the right call.

Just now, onthehunt526 said:

BCF48E08-3D0E-43E5-8D65-019DBDA312B6.thumb.png.88c0fdc77fa320aea5dea56a79024959.png

This ^

It was the 3 inch shit, not the intermediate?

It wasn’t just first cut. The ball was sitting down. Again, 190 yards with a fairway wood by a pro? It’s not first cut. Whoever the shotlink person was got that wrong. 

• Like 1

@onthehunt526, I just recall Louis talking about the fairway wood carrying maybe 190 and then rolling up. When I heard him say that, I knew the caddy was going to tell him that they had a better chance by laying up. I think the caddy even said something like if he tried the hero shot, it could end up good but he could also go into the water. If he lays up, it for sure won’t go in the water, and they have a crack at it with a wedge. 

I think they made the right call.

It wasn’t just first cut. The ball was sitting down. Again, 190 yards with a fairway wood by a pro? It’s not first cut. Whoever the shotlink person was got that wrong. 

The app made it seem like he was in the intermediate (1 1/2”) rough which probably would have changed things considerably. 

I see what @iacas meant by he wasn’t going to hit it on the green. Be probably does well to get it out with a wood, if the lie is as bad as you guys are saying it was. Feedback to the USGA for next year, primary rough and intermediate rough need to be used in the app.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

@onthehunt526, go to 13:21. It’s not first cut, dude. It’s not the thickest lie in the world, but it’s no first cut, and with the water on the left, they made the right call. It just didn’t work out this time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

@onthehunt526, go to 13:21. It’s not first cut, dude. It’s not the thickest lie in the world, but it’s no first cut, and with the water on the left, they made the right call. It just didn’t work out this time. 

3 feet further right we probably aren’t having this discussion.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

3 feet further right we probably aren’t having this discussion.

Yeah, I agree. He would’ve went for it  if it was in the first cut, sitting up, or in the fairway—no question. If you put it in the drink from there, at least you went with the right shot under the circumstances and tried to win the tournament. He probably doesn’t eagle though because it would’ve been so hard to stop the ball on that green. But then again, maybe he makes the Tiger putt from the back of the green (not the “expect anything different” putt). 

33 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

It’s not the thickest lie in the world, but it’s no first cut, and with the water on the left, they made the right call. It just didn’t work out this time. 

I forgot how he reacted to the eventual birdie.  Probably the most disappointed "I just made a birdie on the 72nd hole of the U.S. Open" ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

55 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Maybe he wasn’t protecting second, but he wasn’t going to win laying up.

You may as well say that not trying to carry a ball 370m over water on a par 5 isn't going to win you the tournament if you need eagle to win. Are you seriously suggesting that Oosthuizen does not realise that 3 is better than 4 and that  4 doesn't win? So...in a press conference you would ask him why he laid up and he'd say "I had a better chance of holing out from 80 yards than making a putt like I did on Saturday"? Come on. There is no hypothetical scenario here. He did all he could do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

You may as well say that not trying to carry a ball 370m over water on a par 5 isn't going to win you the tournament if you need eagle to win. Are you seriously suggesting that Oosthuizen does not realise that 3 is better than 4 and that  4 doesn't win? So...in a press conference you would ask him why he laid up and he'd say "I had a better chance of holing out from 80 yards than making a putt like I did on Saturday"? Come on. There is no hypothetical scenario here. He did all he could do. 

You’re right. @onthehunt526 didn’t realize how bad the lie was (see above where he quoted the app indicating “first cut” when it wasn’t), so I think that’s where he was going with that statement. I mean, he’s right, if the lie wasn’t as bad as he thought. 

I'm happy to see that no one has suggested that he should have had his caddy tend the pin for his third shot. 

• Funny 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

17 hours ago, Shindig said:

I forgot how he reacted to the eventual birdie.  Probably the most disappointed "I just made a birdie on the 72nd hole of the U.S. Open" ever.

Absolutely! At that point making it or not made no difference as a par is still solo second. Finishing with a birdie was the icing on the "Wow, I just lost the US Open on #17," cake. 

The moment he hit it in the rough, we all knew that absent a miracle, he was playing for second place. And in reality with only one eagle all day, we can probably say that once he bogeyed 17. I still think he made the play that gave him the best chance of a 3. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

In real time it sounded like he wanted to go for it.  Even had the club pulled.  And then looked at his caddie and said there was just no way.  So there was no realistic path to tie, at that point.  At that point his best chance was a miracle hole-out, so he did his best to put it where that was at least a possibility.  He just could not drop the shot on 17, but the ball doesn't always go where we need it to, even if we are Louis.  Though he gave that par putt a reasonable run.  At that point he had to put it in the fairway at 18, and couldn't do it.  Still made a birdie, which was really the best he was going to get.

He was out of bullets after 17.  You can hope for a miracle but it's a faint hope at best.  It wasn't the last two...it was the first seventy.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!