IGNORED

Sports Car Trunks Big Enough for Golf Clubs

azflying
Note: This thread is 1803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mercedes-Benz makes a number of great "golfer" cars.  Among the sports car series there is the SLK which accomodates a golf bag in the trunk as does the SL series.

The C sedan is perfect for 2 golfers and two bags.

The ML SUV series is ideal accomodating 4 golfers and 4 bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1493 View Post
None

Actually, the vette is quite fuel efficient (if you stay out of the gas), thanks to good aero, tall 6th gear, and very light weight due to its lack of creature comforts and compact OHV engine design. 08 vette gets 16/26 compared to s2000 and 350z each at 18/25, and has a 200 hp advantage on the honda and 125 on the nissan, and the torque numbers are even more one-sided.

Performance wise it will absolutely blow the doors off any of the cars that have been mentioned, but it won't be as comfortable because its built to go fast. Its also on the high end of prices but it will probably very reliable because its just a light car with a small block chevy.

I'm sorry, you can't go by the mpg ratings on this one.  You can't tell someone that a pushrod 6.2L v8 is going to get better efficiency than a 2.2l straight 4.  chevy works on getting those numbers so one of the selling points would be to avoid the gas guzzler tax.  You'd need to cruise just above idle on the highway to get that, not really ideal.  also reliability is definitely an issue, the cooling on those vettes don't have a great track history.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the corvette, but it's pretty much bordering supercar territory, and while they drive brilliantly, they don't maintain in the same way.

If you're looking used, I would stay away from nissan too, great initial value, but not a very long life unless you are going to put some work into it.  I'm definitely a bit honda biased, and the s2000 is quite a great drive if you're willing to wring it out.  Since you mentioned used, I would look in the direction of reliable race proven automakers known for reliability, honda and toyota come to mind.  Are you willing to take a look back in time a bit?  If you can find a past MR2, those are pretty sweet and will run a while for you.  However, if the boot is really what you're concerned about, someone mentioned the mustangs have large ones.  I know you were looking for roadster build, but as someone else mentioned, those impreza sti's definitely have the space, more of a sports car to live with.  Also, if you're not really a hard core driver looking for rwd, you could look cheaper into the past and take a look at something like a honda prelude, or a coupe like a rsx.

It's tough to figure what you're looking into.  Speed doesn't exactly mix with hauling capacity.  Let us know what you go for!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dvldog

Porsche Boxsters have two trucks. The back holds the clubs and the front has enough room for a weekend gettaway. The engine is in the middle.

I have a friend with who has both a boxter and a cayman..  He has to pull the driver and 3 wood and put them in the passanger seat, in the boxter, neither trunk  is large enough. The Cayman is a little better, but still marginal.  When we travel together we both go in my lowly mazda 3 hatchback. not even the turbo version, not very quick but nice for an economy car.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I really think a GT, or something like a GOLF GTI, or a Mini Cooper Clubman makes more sense.  If cost was no object a Jag coupe is a hatchback and fairly cool, reliabilty only OK and repairs expensive.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Mrs. NEOH has a VW GTI.  It'll return 30+ mpg all day long and is quite sporting in feel and speed.  Not as fast as a WRX STI or a MazdaSPEED3, but has quietness and refinement in spades in comparison.  It'll fit several golf bags and passengers with ease.  With the rear pkg shelf off, I'd guess it'd accommodate a foursome quite nicely.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

If you want to go a bit more practical, yet still have decent performance, a Honda Accord V6 Coupe isn't a bad compromise.  Looks good, has all the power anybody could need (it easily hits 130 mph), and drives nice.  I've had mine since I bought it new in 2003.  I can carry 2 good sized cart bags with all else we need and still have "sort of" a back seat.  I can fold down the back seat and carry 4 bags, but that would be silly since I can't then carry 4 people (maybe then I could help out the guy with the Miata. The back seat isn't much anyway, unless they've changed in the last 8 years (good for a couple of small kids at best - I just see it as extra cargo space when I need more room than there is in the trunk).  You can get it with all the bells and whistles you want.  And since it isn't classified as a "sports car" insurance is certainly more reasonable.

And mine still gets 32 mpg on the highway at 80 mph with cruise and A/C on (a good 450 mile cruising range - I've gone 425 and still had about 3 gallons left when I filled up).  Mileage drops to about 24 in town.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would invest in a locker at your club and buy whatever sports car you want.      If you need to carry clubs, you can squeeze them in somehow - the car comes first.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Even though this thread is from 2008, I'll put my $.02 in. I have driven Miatas since 93 and I can pack a ton of stuff in that thing. The trunk will hold either my SM Speedcart or my clubs in my Ping Hoofer. Despite having the spare tire and battery back there the bag will fit without the driver. Then the driver just lays on top by itself. What will not fit is my cart bag or staff bag. On days I carry either of those bags or a second set of clubs then the top must go down with the bag behind the seats. But no matter the configuration, driving my Miata sure beats driving my minivan!

David

I'll second this !  It does the trick, but comfy it is not !

Originally Posted by dvldog

Porsche Boxsters have two trucks. The back holds the clubs and the front has enough room for a weekend gettaway. The engine is in the middle.

I love my BMW X3, it is far sportier than the X5. I drive it just as hard as I used to drive my Alfa back in the day. The X3 has a nook in the inside liner that lets the club heads fit.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Look at Mitsi Lancer Evo.

Full size trunk and would leave most cars in the dust

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Check out the Dodge Charger. It's not a coupe but it's an aggressive looking performance sedan. I have one and there is room for 3 bags in the trunk.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

• 7 years later...
On 4/1/2008 at 1:09 PM, azflying said:

I'm looking for a small, fuel efficient car with some panache, and two-seat roadsters fit the bill, e.g., BMW Z3 Z4, Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Mini Cooper, Nissan 350Z, etc...

Please reply if you own one or know someone who owns one and whether their golf clubs fit in the trunk (mandatory requirement)

Thanks.

ME TOO now that it's 2019

and they just fit inside a Z24 Chevy Cavalier Conv. 1999

Obvious but wish to avoid = Mustang, Corvette, high priced and foreign (Miata fun excepted but ... no fit) 

Also add 0-60 about 7-8 seconds, "4 seater" convertible or at least generous sunroof, clubs w/driver in bag must fit side-side in trunk

Was tipped to visit Buick ...???

4 minutes ago, tgiv said:

Obvious but wish to avoid = Mustang, Corvette, high priced and foreign (Miata fun excepted but ... no fit) 

What you consider high priced is likely going to be very different than what someone else thinks is high priced.

What is your max budget?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• iacas changed the title to Sports Car Trunks Big Enough for Golf Clubs

Z350 as well as Infinity G35/G37 all fit golf bag.  As for a 4 seater, Z350 is not.  Who wants to sit on the back seat of that thing?  There is absolutely no leg room.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On 5/8/2019 at 11:14 AM, tgiv said:

ME TOO now that it's 2019

and they just fit inside a Z24 Chevy Cavalier Conv. 1999

Also add 0-60 about 7-8 seconds, "4 seater" convertible or at least generous sunroof, clubs w/driver in bag must fit side-side in trunk

Was tipped to visit Buick ...???

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

Z350 as well as Infinity G35/G37 all fit golf bag.  As for a 4 seater, Z350 is not.  Who wants to sit on the back seat of that thing?  There is absolutely no leg room.

My clubs and clicgear cart fit easily in my Infiniti G37. It’s discontinued, but when I looked at the Q50 (four-door) and Q60 (two-door)I think the trunk space was about the same. (Not sure the reliability is as good as the G37, though, when I looked it up in Consumer Reports.)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Image result for motorcycle golf bagSee the source image

How about on a motorcycle.......

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Note: This thread is 1803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!