IGNORED

PING Introduces Ballnamic Ball Fitting Site

Note: This thread is 937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

$39 and an online brand-agnostic ball fitting site.Thoughts?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

$39 and an online brand-agnostic ball fitting site.Thoughts?

My first thought is that seems like a waste of 39 bucks. 

I've seen ball fittings offered at my local courses for free from Bridgestone, Titleist, Callaway and Taylormade... Maybe even Srixon. 

My guess is if Bridgestone fits you into their premium ball, or their distance ball, or their soft or high spin or low spin or what ever. You can probably switch the equivalent Titleist, Callaway or Taylormade with minimal issues. 

There are tons of free online ball fitters. Granted you get usually only one brand, but again. How much difference is their really between Callaway's 3 piece premium ball and Taylormade's? 

I may be wrong here, but I've always thought it more important to find a ball you like and stick with it, than getting perfectly fit for a ball. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'd pass on this. Being honest, I'm curious to see the results, but not curious enough to spend $39 to see the results.

I like my Vice Pro Plus and Snell MTB-X balls, I don't see a ball change drastically impacting my game right now.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

I'm curious what stops a group of friends from signing up, putting in one friend's info, getting the results, then changing them for the second friend, etc.

If you goof up something, are your results only a one-time deal for the $39?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First thought is the comment by P.T. Barnum 🙂

40 bucks seems a bit steep for an online questionnaire!  Now, if it were a fitting where you actually hit different balls with actual data available from a launch monitor, it may be more reasonable.

The biggest problem with an online fitting is it relies on you knowing your stats and data accurately.  If you don't have that data right, the fitting doesn't really work or in fact, even matter.

At that sort of rate, it would need to be an offline fitting with you hitting balls in all situations

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• iacas changed the title to PING Introduces Ballnamic Ball Fitting Site
  • Administrator

So, it's PING's site. Here's the press release:

PHOENIX (August 30, 2021) Continuing its journey to help golfers improve through custom fitting, PING today introduced a virtual ball-fitting experience based on a golfer’s launch conditions and performance preferences. Known as Ballnamic™, the website offers unbiased golf ball brand and model recommendations for golfers of every skill level. The software is powered by PING’s proprietary ball-specific flight models and algorithms developed by its engineers and data scientists. More than 40 ball models are housed inside the app, which is periodically updated to seek to ensure the current designs are considered.

The ball-fitting tool is available direct to consumers for a $39 fee at ballfitting.com and generates a detailed fitting report contrasting the top five best-matched balls. Custom-fitting facilities can license the application through PING and offer it as a service to their customers. Ballnamic is available only in the United States.

“Ballnamic represents our never-ending quest to innovate every variable of the custom-fitting experience,” said John K. Solheim, PING President. “We’ve been studying golf balls since the early days of PING when my grandfather, Karsten Solheim, quickly recognized the ball was the ‘tuning fork’ for golf equipment. Our extensive knowledge library and engineering expertise led us down the ball-fitting path, and we’re excited to bring it to both fitters and consumers. The access golfers have to their data through launch monitors and other tools continues to grow and make advancements like Ballnamic possible. Since we’re not in the golf-ball business, we’re able to conduct independent testing and offer this unbiased tool as another service for golfers to help improve their enjoyment of the game.”

Testing conducted at the PING Proving Grounds has generated anticipated performance characteristics of golf balls. Utilizing the PING Man swing robot, doppler radar and carefully monitored weather conditions, PING’s researchers have measured ball performance across a comprehensive span of driver, iron, and wedge shots – in both wet and dry conditions. The results generated data approximating how golf balls perform across a range of speeds and lofts; a low-spin ball on drivers can generate high spin around the green and vice versa.

“One of the most exciting advancements with Ballnamic is that, for the first time in the golf industry, we decouple and approximate a ball’s initial launch conditions with its aerodynamic performance. It’s counterintuitive, but we’ve seen low-launch, low-spin golf balls that fly high, and high-launch, high-spin balls that fly low,” said Marty Jertson, Vice President of Fitting and Performance, who oversaw the creation and development of Ballnamic. “It does not factor in traditional ball-selection criteria, such as construction and number of layers. Instead, Ballnamic strictly focuses on tested performance characteristics, algorithmic equations and mathematical approximations.”

Once logged into the site, golfers create a profile by completing a questionnaire that guides them to think about aspects of ball performance just like a Tour player. Golfers enter performance preferences for their long game, irons, wedges, short game, and putter. Even without access to a launch monitor, Ballnamic employs a user’s estimated launch conditions based upon a user’s data such as their driver and 7-iron flight. For golfers who have been on a launch monitor recently, they can enter their exact ball speed, launch angle, and spin rate for even more personalized results. Employing the player’s data inputs, Ballnamic recommends the top five balls identified based upon a calculated Overall Match Score, factoring in the ball’s projected initial launch conditions and aerodynamic properties with the intent of closely matching the golfer’s profile.  

Users can view approximated ball-flight comparisons for both calm (zero wind) and windy conditions, which are estimated from their trajectory and geographic location, using the Explore feature. Once finished, users can share their top-matched ball through Twitter and Facebook.

“We’ve been using Ballnamic to custom fit our guests at the PING Proving Grounds for the last several months,” said Jertson. “It’s been eye-opening to see the impact that different balls have on dialing in someone’s fitting recommendations. While Ballnamic provides useful information as a stand-alone tool, we’ve also seen the benefits of combining club and ball fitting. For example, using Ballnamic we’ve seen optimization benefits in players achieving greater distance while using a higher-lofted driver with better-matched golf balls. Our goal is to help golfers in working to match the best ball to their game, so they can have the most success on the golf course.”

Interesting.  With launch monitor information, it's likely more useful than "guessing" current performance.  For instance, whenever I've done any virtual fitting and they've asked about trajectory, I'm never really sure if my flight is average, above, or below normal heights.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

“Ballnamic represents our never-ending quest to innovate every variable of the custom-fitting experience,”

Ballnamic represents our never ending quest to milk every dime from the tech- fidgeting variable of the custom fitting experience.” 
Stay tuned for how their new ball cap can add 10yds to your game.

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I can't picture myself spending $40 for a ball fitting. I could buy 3 dozen of the balls that fly just fine for me. Now, if they could recommend a good floating golf ball...

52 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Ballnamic represents our never ending quest to milk every dime from the tech- fidgeting variable of the custom fitting experience.” 
Stay tuned for how their new ball cap can add 10yds to your game.

So, you're not going to send them the ball flight characteristics from your latest Hammer driver session?  :whistle:

• Funny 1

Hasm't ballfitting.com or something like it already been around for a while?

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

• Administrator

@DeadMan😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I got to this point...

image.png

The typical temperature for Stow, Ohio is not 45 degrees. It's probably around the low 70's.

Maybe 44224 doesn't work out well. When I put in 44718, about 20 minutes south of me, the temperature is 65 degrees. That seems more reasonable. 

Here are the benefits I would get...

image.png

I think MTB is pretty optimized for me. This was not even paying $40. So, its not bad for just some validation. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The typical temperature for Stow, Ohio is not 45 degrees. It's probably around the low 70's.

It's a slider. Move it?

• 2 weeks later...

Does it tell you a specific manufacturer’s ball?  I know Ping doesn’t sell a ball but I wouldn’t want to be steering people to the competitors website where clubs might catch their eye.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Does it tell you a specific manufacturer’s ball?  I know Ping doesn’t sell a ball but I wouldn’t want to be steering people to the competitors website where clubs might catch their eye.

I believe so, yes.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I don't think I'd rely on a company that makes only balls to fit me for clubs, so I don't think I'd rely on a company that makes only clubs to fit me for a ball. 

That's perhaps the worst way to think about it.

They test a ton of golf balls, too. Just because they don't design golf balls doesn't mean they don't understand how they work, what balls behave under what conditions, etc. given all that they have to do with their testing robots to make sure their equipment performs across a variety of golf balls and types of balls.

They're unbiased about golf balls while being completely thorough in testing and analyzing them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!