IGNORED

New "Brooksie" Rule

dzjc
Note: This thread is 965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, I know there's a Brooks/Bryson thread, but let's talk about the new "Brooksie" rule as it applies to the tour in general.  I think the PGA Commissioner really spit the bit on this one.  He's trying to single-handedly protect Bryson from hecklers.  But what about hecklers in the past that were horrible to Monty, or Sergio?  Fans can be brutal in the Ryder Cup.  What happens if (hypothetically) Patrick Reed gets heckled and doesn't like it?  Does he go to the commish and get help?

What happens if Brooks/Bryson are playing together and Brooks' fans want to cheer him on?  Do they get special exemption because they're rooting FOR Brooks?  Or do they get thrown out? 

This new rule sets a dangerous precedent.

Dale

What if they are pared up together and a fan is rooting on Brooks? 

This rule is absurd. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it may open a can of worms for Monahan that he'll later regret. 

His specifically forbidding the Brooksie catcall makes it a near certainty that there will be future incidents and the staff at the events will have to deal with it. You always have a few idiots in every crowd that want to see their name out there even if it is for all the wrong reasons.

Kind of got to wonder what stops this from snow-balling. 

1 hour ago, dzjc said:

He's trying to single-handedly protect Bryson from hecklers. 

No, they're updating the fan code of conduct rule because of the Bryson/Brooks incident, it's my understanding that the new rule would apply to all conduct from fans, not just fans yelling "Brooksie"

1 hour ago, dzjc said:

But what about hecklers in the past that were horrible to Monty, or Sergio? 

What about them? There weren't rules in the past to discourage the heckling behavior, there are rules to discourage that behavior going forward. 

1 hour ago, dzjc said:

Fans can be brutal in the Ryder Cup

Not a PGA tour event.

1 hour ago, dzjc said:

What happens if (hypothetically) Patrick Reed gets heckled and doesn't like it? 

Hopefully they enforce the rule the same for all players, so no, Reed shouldn't need to go to the commissioner. 

1 hour ago, dzjc said:

This new rule sets a dangerous precedent.

How is creating a rule to try and discourage fans from heckling players setting a dangerous precedent?

54 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

His specifically forbidding the Brooksie catcall makes it a near certainty that there will be future incidents and the staff at the events will have to deal with it. You always have a few idiots in every crowd that want to see their name out there even if it is for all the wrong reasons.

That's not necessarily true. Per Monahan:

"The barometer that we are all using is the word respect," Monahan said. "And to me, when you hear 'Brooksie' yelled or you hear any expression yelled, the question is, is that respectful or disrespectful? That has been going on for an extended period of time. To me, at this point, it's disrespectful. And that's the kind of behavior that we're not gonna tolerate going forward."

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

52 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I think it may open a can of worms for Monahan that he'll later regret. 

Kind of got to wonder what stops this from snow-balling. 

I think you are correct, sir. 

This could be a big mistake. In my humble opinion, Bryson should have embraced the chant. Fighting it only gives the hecklers more power. I smile and a laugh takes away a heckler's power. Showing that it bothers you will only make your detractors look for something more creative. What if they start chanting "Koepka"? Will they ban that too? Obviously they are trying to get in his head and this kind of makes it clear that it's working. ...

3 minutes ago, klineka said:

No, they're updating the fan code of conduct rule because of the Bryson/Brooks incident, it's my understanding that the new rule would apply to all conduct from fans, not just fans yelling "Brooksie"

Oh, I was misinformed. 

In that case, its too bad they need a rule, but it probably makes sense. Nip it in the bud before it escalates. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• iacas changed the title to New "Brooksie" Rule
25 minutes ago, klineka said:

"The barometer that we are all using is the word respect," Monahan said. "And to me, when you hear 'Brooksie' yelled or you hear any expression yelled, the question is, is that respectful or disrespectful? That has been going on for an extended period of time. To me, at this point, it's disrespectful. And that's the kind of behavior that we're not gonna tolerate going forward."

I like the idea of fans treating players with respect but I am not convinced it should be a rule and not convinced the rule could even be enforced consistently.  Respect needs to be earned, not legislated.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

If anything, the target on Bryson's back has become bigger now, and the taunting will only increase. Also, look for the commish to walk back his "policy" and say it was "misinterpreted". 

4 minutes ago, dzjc said:

Also, look for the commish to walk back his "policy" and say it was "misinterpreted". 

What evidence do you have to support this claim? Is this just your opinion that is based on no facts?

1 hour ago, klineka said:

No, they're updating the fan code of conduct rule because of the Bryson/Brooks incident

I thought I read that the spectator conduct expectations/rules were planned to be updated prior to the Brooks/Bryson thing.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StuM said:

Respect needs to be earned, not legislated.

That doesn’t even make sense in this context. He’s a PGA tour player. A major champion. He’s earned respect.

Just because Stoolies aren’t giving it to him doesn’t mean he hasn’t earned it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just watched Patrick Cantlay's interview about this, and to summarize, he said that (without naming names), this is a symptom of a larger problem of those seeking attention over social media (via the Player Interaction program, or whatever it's called).  His response was very measured, and well articulated.

He did bring up other valid points such as Tour players are much closer to fans and there's inherent risk there, and he compared Tour players with (specifically) Yankee players playing in Boston at Fenway Park.  Yes, it's difficult being on the field, but you know that you'll be back in Yankee stadium a few days later with fans that love you.

2 minutes ago, Never3putt said:

Whether or not respect should be earned, disrespect should never be acceptable.

Except that disrespect towards players has been going on for decades on the PGA Tour.  What Bryson is going through is NOT unique.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, dzjc said:

Except that disrespect towards players has been going on for decades on the PGA Tour.  What Bryson is going through is NOT unique.

Those statements are "true" only in the slightest senses.

So, no, not really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, dzjc said:

Please list multiple examples where a PGA tour player publicly encouraged and incentivized fans to be disrespectful towards another player. 

Also, just because something goes on for decades doesn't mean it's right. I can think of PLENTY of things throughout history that went on for decades that weren't right, especially things involving how people were treated based on race, gender, religion, etc.

54 minutes ago, dzjc said:

By that logic, it's okay to continue doing something that's blatantly wrong simply because it's not unique and been going on for decades?   "That's the way we always did it" is the worst reason to continue doing things.

If you take Bryson out of the equation, is the anti-bullying stance from the PGA still a bad idea?

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That doesn’t even make sense in this context. He’s a PGA tour player. A major champion. He’s earned respect.

Just because Stoolies aren’t giving it to him doesn’t mean he hasn’t earned it.

Point taken, he clearly has accomplishments that merit respect and I did not intend to imply he had not earned respect.  However I do feel there are some people that do not respect him, be it for slow play, confronting a camera operator claiming Damaging his Brand, etc.  You cannot force someone to respect a person.  I do agree with @Never3puttthat disrespect is not appropriate and I am not supporting the show of disrespect nor am I defending those who have heckled him in the past.

1 hour ago, Never3putt said:

If you take Bryson out of the equation, is the anti-bullying stance from the PGA still a bad idea?

It is not a bad idea, just the application may be harder than it sounds.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Note: This thread is 965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!