IGNORED

Justin Thomas's Putt

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow.  I definitely wouldn't have made that putt.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Justin Thomas's Putt
  • Administrator

If you grow up as I have on old golf courses where they had to build in a lot of slope because greens were stimping at 6 back in the day, you get used to these.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, I've putted with my back to the hole before. Its not uncommon on older courses. I actually prefer those style of greens. They are really fun. 

Brookside CC in Canton, Ohio has a green with a giant speed hump type mound that ran down the middle from front to back. The green was pretty severe from front to back. We were on the right side of the hump, back right, with the pin front left. All three of the people who putted before me went more direct and never got with in 20-FT. I putted up the slope, kind of going around the top end of the hump and ended up like 5-FT from the pin. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

23 hours ago, iacas said:

If you grow up as I have on old golf courses where they had to build in a lot of slope because greens were stimping at 6 back in the day, you get used to these.

I grew up playing those kinds of greens. They could get pretty slick in the summer when they dried out. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 10/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, saevel25 said:

Yea, I've putted with my back to the hole before. Its not uncommon on older courses. I actually prefer those style of greens. They are really fun. 

Brookside CC in Canton, Ohio has a green with a giant speed hump type mound that ran down the middle from front to back. The green was pretty severe from front to back. We were on the right side of the hump, back right, with the pin front left. All three of the people who putted before me went more direct and never got with in 20-FT. I putted up the slope, kind of going around the top end of the hump and ended up like 5-FT from the pin. 

I once made a one putt on the hole with the windmill. 🤣

Seriously, though I've pulled off a couple of impressive putts like that in my golfing life. Creativity can be a wonderful thing. But far more often I'm the guy that "thinks" he sees a creative line to the hole and it ends up the opposite. Everyone else gets to 5 or 6 feet and my "creative" approach puts me at 20 feet. You look like a genius when you pull it off. You look like a moron when you don't. I've been the moron far more often than I'd like to admit. 

• Funny 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 10/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, saevel25 said:

I actually prefer those style of greens. They are really fun. 

Yes, what I like is they have a lot of backstops and funnel/feed lines. As long as they are not stimping 12+, they are def more fun. I also like that you can 'see' lines and curves much better. I have less sense of distance and speed on big flattish greens.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I grew up playing those kinds of greens. They could get pretty slick in the summer when they dried out. 

Tell me about it. It took me 7 strokes (chips/putts) on one of our greens last year because I couldn’t get the ball to stay on the green—kept rolling off. Most of that green is a 5.0 to 6.7% according to my Husky level. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 4 weeks later...

I have putted on greens where it's so crazy ( and possibly poorly designed, thanks Geoff Ogilvy and Mike Clayton) that the aim is to get your FIRST putt to stop somewhere so you have an uphill putt of less than 20 feet.

In fairness to the designers, though,  when you have greens that are essentially divided into quadrants, being on the green but in the wrong quadrant is essentially the same as being off the green in a nasty spot. Just because you're on the green doesn't mean that you are entitled to have to have a putt at the hole - witness 17 at Pebble Beach.

• Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

8 hours ago, Shorty said:

Just because you're on the green doesn't mean that you are entitled to have to have a putt at the hole - witness 17 at Pebble Beach.

Great point.  Also, Riviera #6 ...

Riviera.jpg

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!