IGNORED

Would you favor standardized equipment?

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you favor equipment standardization?

• Yes, everyone should play with the same exact tools.
    • Yes, but no more than it is now.
    • Yes, but more flexible than now.
    • No. I want to use a 72" driver!

A discussion in another thread led me to post this poll. There have been billions of dollars wasted by the average golfer on the never-ending series of technological "breakthroughs" in golf equipment over the years. Even so, the average handicap has not budged at all in over forty years. Have we not seen enough of this corporate garbage by now to admit that golf is suffering from the equipment manufacturers false promises made to the masses. Wouldn't it be much wiser for most to spend their money on actual lessons or even more greens fees to improve their game? It just seems obvious that such a large investment could be redirected towards something that would actually improve the game of golf for most people.

I would question also the extent to which equipment destroys the nature of the game itself. We shouldn't have to question whether the best player won or his equipment selection allowed him to trump someone with more talent. No other major sport allows such wide-spread variance among equipment to enter into the winning equation. Can you imagine boxing where one fighter had gloves 6 ounces heavier than his opponent? How about an outfielder in baseball with a two foot wide glove? If we want to make the game easier, why even bother playing at all? If you want to sink more three-pointers in basketball just make the rim three foot in diameter instead of practicing.

I don't understand the desire to make special tools for each individual so that they can somehow overcome their flaws. It seems much more reasonable and respectable to standardize equipment very tightly like every other major sport has done. Let the absolute talent of the individual given a specific set of implements decide how well he performs.

I am not implying that the equipment "advances" over the decades has really made that much of an impact in golf, but merely pointing out how deceitfully these advances have been used to lure the average golfer into a never ending search in the wrong direction towards improvement. Jack and Arnie could bust three hundred yard drives with persimmons occasionally when needed.

I think it would be reasonable for a standard as follows:

1. Every one should play with the same number of clubs. (Current)

2. The lofts of every given club should be the same. (ex. all PW have say
50 degrees)

3. The length of shafts of every given club should be the same. (ex. all
Drivers be 45" in length)

4. A specific shaft used for all golf clubs. (ex. same flex, linear weight,
kick-point, etc., etc., etc.)

5. Only one approved ball design. (ex. same weight, diameter, compression,
blah, blah, blah)

I might be off base with this poll, but I am very interested in what everyone thinks.

Tom

First basemen's gloves are longer than standard to make it easier to catch off center throws, bats come in differant lengths and weights depending on what the player likes. Of the the main pieces of baseball equipment (bats balls and gloves) only balls are made to conform exactly. Bats far less so, and if you want a 2' glove, go find someone to make one for you, but good luck catching anything with it

In NASCAR or NHRA you can do whatever you like inside the rules to give yourself an equipment provided edge.

I wouldn't say that having different loft/length clubs is anywhere near making a 3' wide hoop in basketball. There's just no way my wedge being 56º and Bob's wedge being 57º would make much difference to anything

Should Phil Blackmar (6'7") and Ian Woosnam (5'5") have to use the same length clubs?

I say let it be the way it is, but this opinion does not necessarily reflect that of the Sandtrap, it's owners and affiliates blue haired ladies from Florida, or any other sane individual, YMMV. ( The preceding .gif has nothing to do with the post, or anything other than the fact that I just like dancing bananas )

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I somewhat agree with youre standards, irspow. I think there should be a certain amount of clubs and such, but I have to respectfully disagree with youre shaft flex idea. I think its fine to have a certain flex in a club. As for angle at which the clubs are, I dont see that as a big deal either. There should definately be restrictions, but I think its perfectly acceptable to expand, as long as there are strict perameters(sp?) that keep the game true to its roots.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I think the regulations that limit driver head size and MOI are great for the game. Further restrictions or anything that would make equipment uniform would never work. This is for the same reason that there will not be government restrictions on gas powered cars in the near future-- there is just way too much money to be made by keeping things the way they are.

For competition I could see where you would standardize equipment, but for the average golfer who just plays to have a good time, then it may not be as fun if you had to use clubs made to the same specs as professionals. It's ultimately the player's choice on whether they want the newest technology...it is available to everyone. Not to mention there are standards that clubs have to meet (driver volume, the "hottness" of the clubface, etc...) And the loft on the clubs wouldn't make any difference would it? Anyways, I agree with you if it comes to golf as a profession, but as for the average golfer, it may take some of the "fun" out of golf.
In the bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

The only thing I would standardize if it were up to me would be the golf ball itself. The rest should just have parameters to which every golfer ought to abide by.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I think customization and loft changes are great, you can customize your clubs to your game. Adapting to clubs that are not even right for you, or clubs that dont even fit the specifications of your swing, are so difficult to work with.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I think customization and loft changes are great, you can customize your clubs to your game. Adapting to clubs that are not even right for you, or clubs that dont even fit the specifications of your swing, are so difficult to work with.

I'd like to second this motion. I see no reason to standardize equipment beyond the parameters. The same shaft length or staff stiffness alone would be a killer for a huge fraction of the golfing community.

I really don't care if a PW is one degree different from one set to the next. That is, if I want a set with a 48-degree PW, and a set I like as a 47, I don't really mind. I won't purchase a set with a 43-degree PW, though. But if you want a 43-degree PW, I'm fine with it. This isn't a contest of who can hit his "pitching wedge" the farthest. My current 46-degree PW, which I think is reasonable, matches the 9-iron of someone on this board, if I recall correctly.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate the idea. I'm a club 'ho

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• Administrator
People typically see "standardized" as being more restrictive than we have now. As such, I think I voted incorrectly for the "No" option when I probably should have voted for the "Yes - the way it is now" option.

"Standardized" usually means "same for everyone" as in "same ball" or "same driver clubheads and shafts."

Once again I'll remind you to choose your words carefully. "Standardized" usually means literally ONE thing that is a change from what we have now, not "the many rules we currently have."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry for the ambiguity. I forgot that most see the poll question before reading the post. I was trying to illustrate in the original post what I meant by standardization.

Thanks for those have replied so far. It has shown me that there is resistance to making the art trump the equipment. I just hope that we don't wind up with remote control balls in the future. Just kidding.

Tom

I would lean toward a standardized ball in tournament play, but that's only "leaning".

Let people go bonkers over clubs.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

1. Every one should play with the same number of clubs. (Current)

Of course, I think having a club or two fewer might make it interesting. Definitely not more.

2. The lofts of every given club should be the same. (ex. all PW have say

Absolutely not. Each club head design has a different center of gravity. The newer clubs seem to have weighting on the bottom of clubs. If you didn't deloft them, they'd balloon.

3. The length of shafts of every given club should be the same. (ex. all

Hmm, who would we cater to? The tall or the short?

4. A specific shaft used for all golf clubs. (ex. same flex, linear weight,

I'd sooner go to a standard club head. The shaft is more important the than the anything else in the bag.

5. Only one approved ball design. (ex. same weight, diameter, compression,

Almost as personal as the shafts. You going to use the Pro-V1 or the Pro-V1x? Either way, you punish half of us.

[TIRADE] The main reason I don't like standard equipment is that I live in America. I like capitalism. I like lots of different companies spending tons of money on marketing and R&D.; This gives jobs to thousands. Golf is a traditional game. I'm sure the old timers went nuts when they stopped using the feathery. Traditionalist talk about how equipment is ruining the game, but look at the average golfer's handicap between now and 15 years ago. It hasn't changed much. The pros are better, but look at them. Look at Tiger and Vijay compared pros of yesteryear. They're monsters compared to pros in the 1930's. Now everyone works out, has a nutritionist, mental coach, swing coach, short game coach, shaman, etc. Progress is awesome, don't get it it's way. [/TIRADE]

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Sorry for the ambiguity. I forgot that most see the poll question before reading the post. I was trying to illustrate in the original post what I meant by standardization.

I think the key is having sensible "LIMITS" or "PARAMETERS"... not in one uniform size, flex, loft, etc.

1) I want technology to NOT make balls go any further than now 2) I want wedges to NOT spin any more than now 3) I want everyone to use 37" maximum length putters that being said... if we all had to play an "X" length 7-iron, then the person who is 5'10" would have an advantage over 6'8" guy and 4'11" guy. Golf has ALWAYS been a sport about people using different equipment by preferences... that should not change. That would be like making all hockey players use the same sticks, skates, etc. or making all tennis players use the same racket, or all cylcists the same bike, or all pool players the same weight que, or all fisherman the same rods and lures, etc., etc..... when we know some equipment fits some better than others.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• 2 weeks later...
Where's the poll option for "No, I think the rules are fine."

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I think golf's governing bodies already set limits which stop anyone from unfairly gaining an advantage because of equipment. My irons are an inch over length and a degree upright. This is because of height and swing. Given the train of thought in the original post of the thread, should I have to play the same club as someone else 6 inches shorter than me? I don't think so. You also mentioned using the same shaft for everyone. I think this type of standardization would have the opposite effect. The club would be right for some and awful for others, and would be putting some people at an advantage because of their height, swing speed etc... As it stands now, everyone can be fitted to match what works best for them as long as it is within the limits set out by the USGA et al. If people don't choose to take advantage of the great benefits of fitting, then that's their problem, and I don't see it taking the 'art' out of the game as you've implied.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I favour standardised equipment for the pros on both the euro and pga tours- although to a certain extent there is a broad standardisation and limits have been set with ball compression and driver capacity on tour.

There should be less standardisation in the amateur world.

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!