IGNORED

First Custom Fit, but Not Sure I Agree With it!

Nick-UK
Note: This thread is 827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Nick-uk said:

I wasn't aware of DG being a higher spinning shaft - I'd just assumed that because it was a very common shaft it was pretty average spin. That's definitely good to know though.

Unless I’m working off of outdated information, the standard Dynamic Gold shafts haven’t really changed much in decades. They’re known to be low launch and high spin, kind of the preferred trajectory of yesteryear.

Again, spin rate alone is not enough information, but low spin rate + low apex height suggests an issue to me. It could just be your swing, but it’s also possible that shaft doesn’t fit you anyway.

Just for reference I’m a “low spin” ball striker myself, but my 7i averages 5900 rpm, not 4000. My average apex height is 95’ though. I play KBS Tours.

I was fitted out of DG S300 years ago. They don’t work for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Nick-uk Just a thought, you can always get your lie adjusted (whether you do it now or later).  It’s pretty simple to have done down the road.  I had mine adjusted 1 degree upright after the fact.

FWIW… We’re similar height, similar distance with the 7i.  I’ve been playing the DG S300 and S400 for as long as I’ve been playing, and very happy with them.  I did try different shafts once, ran back to the DG.  I can only assume the DG product life has existed for a long time for a reason.

Also, unless someone is quite short or tall, most people will be fine with a “standard” fit.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Unless I’m working off of outdated information, the standard Dynamic Gold shafts haven’t really changed much in decades. They’re known to be low launch and high spin, kind of the preferred trajectory of yesteryear.

Again, spin rate alone is not enough information, but low spin rate + low apex height suggests an issue to me. It could just be your swing, but it’s also possible that shaft doesn’t fit you anyway.

Just for reference I’m a “low spin” ball striker myself, but my 7i averages 5900 rpm, not 4000. My average apex height is 95’ though. I play KBS Tours.

I was fitted out of DG S300 years ago. They don’t work for me.

Thanks Bill. It's interesting that you consider the DG to be a low trajectory shaft. It makes me think that the fitter really didn't care enough to try to increase my apex to attempt to accommodate my low spin rate. He didn't take any measurement for club length either, so I'm apparently standard everything, but stiffer shaft to accommodate my swing speed.

17 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@Nick-uk Just a thought, you can always get your lie adjusted (whether you do it now or later).  It’s pretty simple to have done down the road.  I had mine adjusted 1 degree upright after the fact.

FWIW… We’re similar height, similar distance with the 7i.  I’ve been playing the DG S300 and S400 for as long as I’ve been playing, and very happy with them.  I did try different shafts once, ran back to the DG.  I can only assume the DG product life has existed for a long time for a reason.

Also, unless someone is quite short or tall, most people will be fine with a “standard” fit.

To be fair, the fitter did say exactly that - they will adjust the lie angle if it doesn't work for me, but like I said in another reply, how would I ever know if it is not working for me if I don't have a basis for comparison with other lie angles?

I also have fairly short legs, yet bizarrely a 35.5" wrist to floor measurement - which puts me at 2 degrees upright, according to Ping... Hence my concern that I'm just "standard" everything.

9 hours ago, billchao said:

They’re known to be low launch and high spin,

How does that work? Seems against physics.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Not sure about this but I have Mizuno also and the last time I bought a set, I was told that Mizuno is one degree flatter than other manufactures? I also think the loft is not as strong? I also play the hot metal pro but with the project X blackout shafts. Not sure if it helps, but I was trying to hit the ball lower and I am now with these clubs.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

35 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Not sure about this but I have Mizuno also and the last time I bought a set, I was told that Mizuno is one degree flatter than other manufactures? I also think the loft is not as strong? I also play the hot metal pro but with the project X blackout shafts. Not sure if it helps, but I was trying to hit the ball lower and I am now with these clubs.

Thanks Bucki. I'd heard that Mizuno are often stronger lofts, but surely it's insanity for them to produce non-neutral lie angles in their clubs?!

Annoyingly, I didn't have the chance to try the blackouts, but given my steep angle of attack and the resultant low spin, I'm guessing they wouldn't really work for me anyway.

I've since been in touch with the fitter and expressed my concern about not being measured for both club length and lie angle, as well as my frustration about only bring presented with 2 shaft choices (from the ~12 stiff shafts which are currently available from Mizuno). I'm heading back there tonight as they've magically found 2 further shafts for me to test 🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Nick-uk said:

Annoyingly, I didn't have the chance to try the blackouts, but given my steep angle of attack and the resultant low spin, I'm guessing they wouldn't really work for me anyway.

That doesn't compute. Especially not at 88 MPH.

9 minutes ago, Nick-uk said:

I'm heading back there tonight as they've magically found 2 further shafts for me to test 🙄

Get the full report if you can. Every decent fitter here gives that to you.

Also, @Nick-uk, please add an avatar.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

How does that work? Seems against physics.

What do you mean? I don’t know exactly how the shaft does it but low launch and high spin isn’t physics defying - that can happen just from vertical gear effect.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

That doesn't compute. Especially not at 88 MPH.

Also, @Nick-uk, please add an avatar.

Oh, then I've clearly misunderstood the principle; I'd assumed that the steeper the swing, the lower the effective angle of attack, resulting in less spin...?

I'll definitely ask about the report tonight, but I suspect I know the answer!

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Nick-uk said:

Oh, then I've clearly misunderstood the principle; I'd assumed that the steeper the swing, the lower the effective angle of attack, resulting in less spin...?

• Increase spin loft and you increase spin.
  • Increase speed and you increase spin.
  • Hit the ball lower on the face and you (generally) increase spin.

You can google "spin loft" but basically, the angle between the AoA and the dynamic loft.

17 minutes ago, Nick-uk said:

I'll definitely ask about the report tonight, but I suspect I know the answer!

That's bogus. It's your fitting, and you're paying to gather the information, are you not?

Please add an avatar.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:
  • Increase spin loft and you increase spin.
  • Increase speed and you increase spin.
  • Hit the ball lower on the face and you (generally) increase spin.

You can google "spin loft" but basically, the angle between the AoA and the dynamic loft.

Please add an avatar.

Understood (I think!). Thanks.

I'll also add an avatar.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I had good luck and bad luck with demo day fittings last Summer.  With the Callaway fitting they didn't gather any stats.  No prob.  I didn't ask for that.  With Taylormade they did a lot of statistics gathering on the Trackman... and upon request they emailed it all to me.  Not so fortunate with Titleist.  Requested the results but they were never sent... even though I emailed the guy twice.  Not blaming Titleist, blaming the pro/guy who gathered the data.  He seemed disinterested and actually hit balls from the adjacent mat while I was hitting.

• Administrator

Demo days are generally not paid and thus generally I wouldn’t expect the same level of service.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Demo days are generally not paid and thus generally I wouldn’t expect the same level of service.

True.  Though I do single out Taylormade, in this case, for their excellent service, above and beyond.  When a company does something well, they should be commended.

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

While I'm not disputing that may be true in many cases, the salesperson from the company doing the demo is being paid to do the demos and if one were whacking away in an adjacent bay as @Double Mocha Manindicated while I was trying to find the right club for me, I certainly would not be too tempted to purchase their clubs. If he wants me to buy an expensive set of clubs from him, he better be at least pretending I matter, in my opinion.

I have a [hopefully positive] update! I went back today and was re-fitted by a seemingly much more senior person. He actually measured my wrist to floor (I'm actually more or less standard, apparently) and took multiple lie board readings. I was hitting a 1* upright club at the time and it was repeatedly still 1-2 degrees towards the toe, so we settled on a 2* upright fit. As far as shaft was concerned, he suggested a Project X IO 6.0 (110g). The launch was still lower than my current clubs (DG R300), at about 70ft peak, on average. Spin was still low though, peaking at 4.5k.

Interestingly, the upright lie didn't exaggerate the draw/hooks, so I'm much happier now.

Thanks for everyone's input. If there are no further opinions on this new shaft then I guess I'll stop complaining and wait for it to be delivered!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nick-uk said:

I have a [hopefully positive] update! I went back today and was re-fitted by a seemingly much more senior person. He actually measured my wrist to floor (I'm actually more or less standard, apparently) and took multiple lie board readings. I was hitting a 1* upright club at the time and it was repeatedly still 1-2 degrees towards the toe, so we settled on a 2* upright fit. As far as shaft was concerned, he suggested a Project X IO 6.0 (110g). The launch was still lower than my current clubs (DG R300), at about 70ft peak, on average. Spin was still low though, peaking at 4.5k.

Interestingly, the upright lie didn't exaggerate the draw/hooks, so I'm much happier now.

Thanks for everyone's input. If there are no further opinions on this new shaft then I guess I'll stop complaining and wait for it to be delivered!

Great! I hope you'll let us know how it goes with your new clubs.

Note: This thread is 827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!