IGNORED

USGA/R&A Changes to the Equipment Standards?

iacas

Acceptable Amount of Yardage Decrease from USGA/R&A Equipment Change?   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Percentage Loss in Distance

• 0%
    • -2%
    • -5%
    • -10%
    • -15%
    • -20% or More
    • They should increase smash factor!

I like where golf is and see no reason for this silly ‘roll back.’ Every sport has athletes getting better and better. I think it’s exciting to watch the changes. I still don’t see players consistently shooting ridiculous scores where ever tournament is a birdie fest.

The depth of the field on the PGA TOUR is what I find exciting. Let them bomb it away. Even If every player on tour all of a sudden could bomb it 400yds, you’d still have a winner. That’s what’s so great about golf. Just so many aspects of the game that can make it compelling to watch and hard to predict. People still choke and still shank. I love it as it is. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

r. I thought we were having a conversation, not a debate.

It is a conversation. I’d like to hear your thoughts on why. It seems counter to progress in everything else, other sports, technology,. etc. Athletes are faster, stronger than before in every sport. Technology in general keeps getting better. Why should golf go back? 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

I just didn’t think anybody would be interested in hearing the entire text of my reasoning, and assumed that it would be understood as the opener to a discussion, not as a provocation.

We are past the opening, and clearly the first part is wrong. So…?

8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It is a conversation. I’d like to hear your thoughts on why. It seems counter to progress in everything else, other sports, technology,. etc. Athletes are faster, stronger than before in every sport. Technology in general keeps getting better. Why should golf go back? 

Part of it is a sustainability issue. To keep up with the better technology, courses have gotten longer, which takes more resources to maintain, which makes the success of a golf course less likely. 

Another part is that, in my opinion, bomb and gouge golf isn't very exciting. I watch as much LPGA golf as I do PGA golf, and I enjoy watching them hit have to hit shots that the men never have to, simply because they hit it farther. 

To combine those two issues, American Parkland-style golf is target golf; hit it high, hit far, carry it all the way there. A more links-like style of golf brings in more styles of play, and those kinds of courses often require less resources (IE water) to keep up. 

In lieu of reducing distance, I would be in favor of making the ball spinnier, so that mishits off the tee are much more penalized than they are now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, DrvFrShow said:

And then there's been talk about the dogleg problem where elite players have cut doglegs over adjacent holes to drive the greens. On my home course that's impossible due to the 100+ foot tall pines, but.... just for places where it is possible, here's a solution. You can send me the $750K in consulting fees. 

Dogleg Problem.jpg

Kinda hard to transplant a 100’+ tree. Or we can wait 50 years to grow an Oak. 

Just now, Indy-Archer said:

Kinda hard to transplant a 100’+ tree. Or we can wait 50 years to grow an Oak. 

How about 12’ River Birch right next to the tee? They grow to 20 feet in three years.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

Part of it is a sustainability issue. To keep up with the better technology, courses have gotten longer, which takes more resources to maintain, which makes the success of a golf course less likely.

No no no no no. I want to hear your reasoning for this "boring" stuff.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:32 PM, jbishop15 said:

I put -20%. Ball flies too far, incentivizes boring golf, and forces courses to get too long or put boring obstacles like super high rough.

So…

Another part is that, in my opinion, bomb and gouge golf isn't very exciting.

You've yet to share why you think rolling back the ball would make golf less boring. I've offered a counter-argument, so where is yours?

I watch as much LPGA golf as I do PGA golf, and I enjoy watching them hit have to hit shots that the men never have to, simply because they hit it farther.

So do I, but mostly because I have a daughter, but what's "more exciting" about someone hitting a hybrid to 35 feet than a 9-iron to 12 feet with a little spin? What's more exciting about "worse" golf?

If you roll back the ball, then:

• You'll have players playing worse golf. Longer irons, longer approach shots. Worse results.
  • If you roll back courses to counter, you've accomplished nothing except actually making it easier to score, because an 8I that goes 150 instead of 170 will be more accurate, too.

Is there something more exciting about a woman almost never getting to a par five in two instead of guys who can get there and make more eagles?

Did you read this article last year?

Play-7-e1615901026772.png?w=640

On March 16, 2001, Annika Sorenstam stepped onto the 18th tee box at Moon Valley Country Club in Phoenix and told her caddie, Terry McNamara, that she needed to make a par. She’d made eight consecu…

It argued that golf courses should be shortened because LPGA Tour golf is kinda boring. Players don't score all that well, they rarely make eagles or go for par fives in two, etc.

To combine those two issues, American Parkland-style golf is target golf; hit it high, hit far, carry it all the way there.

How would rolling back the ball change that?

A more links-like style of golf brings in more styles of play, and those kinds of courses often require less resources (IE water) to keep up.

What's that go to do with rolling back the ball?

In lieu of reducing distance, I would be in favor of making the ball spinnier, so that mishits off the tee are much more penalized than they are now. 

I don't think that would do what you think it would do.

• Like 1

Are you sure you thought about it as much as you think you have-@jbishop15?

The LPGA Tour is not better golf.-They are a shallower Tour with easier hole locations.-The players have more personality sometimes but that is about it. THey hit it shorter, too, so they are more accurate for fairways. But they are hitting a 4I for a PGA Tour player from the tee-So of course they are more accurate.