IGNORED

LAB Golf Mezz

JPitts

Well, it has been a few years since people in this forum said that the Directed Force putter and their technology would never stick around, and here we are with multiple tour players putting their putters in the bag without a single one of them being paid to do so. I am curious if minds are being changed in this group. 

I for one am very happy for the new look Mezz putter they released as I think the new shape will be much more appealing to many golfers. What are the current thoughts of the members here?  Let's try to keep this pleasant and respectful.

• Administrator

Nope. Physics hasn't changed in the intervening years.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve never seen anyone I’ve played with use one.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Apparently Adam Scott is one touring player who uses it. Not sure who the others are. 

Guess I've always thought that putters are personal. Get something you are comfortable with and it's all up to the meat holding the stick after that. 

49 minutes ago, JPitts said:

Well, it has been a few years since people in this forum said that the Directed Force putter and their technology would never stick around, and here we are with multiple tour players putting their putters in the bag without a single one of them being paid to do so. I am curious if minds are being changed in this group. 

I don't care what tour players use, I base my bag on things that fit the best and perform best for me and my swing.

50 minutes ago, JPitts said:

I for one am very happy for the new look Mezz putter they released as I think the new shape will be much more appealing to many golfers. What are the current thoughts of the members here?

I still think it's ugly. Not a fan of the shaft inserting in the middle of the club head and set back a little from the club face. No thanks.

51 minutes ago, JPitts said:

Let's try to keep this pleasant and respectful.

Comments like this irk me. 99% of the people and conversations on here are pleasant and respectful, we don't need to be reminded of that. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

1 hour ago, JPitts said:

. What are the current thoughts of the members here?  Let's try to keep this pleasant and respectful.

I priced one out of curiosity, $549 with 100 shaft!  Never seen anyone play one, Never heard of it, to be honest.  

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

32 minutes ago, JPitts said:

and here we are with multiple tour players putting their putters in the bag without a single one of them being paid to do so

I know Adam Scott tried one at one point, and I think I saw Kevin Stadler using one, but not sure who else.

34 minutes ago, JPitts said:

What are the current thoughts of the members here?

I got fitted for a LAB DF 2.1 in 2020. Their technology didn't play a huge role in my choice. I approach all fittings somewhat agnostically (I do take price into account, but generally I want whatever gear gives me the best results regardless of brand/style). I really dislike the look of center shafted putters, and the DF 2.1 head is particularly hideous (subjective), so it didn't appeal to me at all. I'm used to the center shaft setup now, and the head shape doesn't bother me as much anymore.

For clarification, I only tried Edel and LAB model putters, and my current putter at the time (an ancient, bronze, Ping Anser blade). After sorting out some initial aim/alignment technique flaws I had the best start lines with DF 2.1 compared to my own putter and the others I tried. With blade putters (including the LAB blade model), I twisted the face around during the stroke much more than the mallet styles and start line suffered. I also aimed the DF 2.1 the best; not sure this was due to center shaft, head shape, or marking style. From there I narrowed it down to specific alignment markings that suited me best.  Maybe I could have gotten the similar results with some alternative center shaft mallet like an Odyssey, I don't know because there wasn't one to try.

I do like that the length and lie are fit to my stance/setup (not unique to LAB), and I like the LAB grip (I don't know if the "forward press" angle does anything, but I find it very comfy). All in all I am satisfied with the DF 2.1, and putting is the only area where I consistently gain strokes compared to my goal handicap, so I am not about to change putters. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I looked at the new putter shape you have-While better than the old one it is still not attractive to me.

And physics do not lie....... angle.

Ha ha ha.

• Funny 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I’m glad the OP likes the putter, but this looks like something I made in metal shop in junior high back in ‘73.

6CD1D882-8D41-4019-B10B-25107715D50A.jpeg

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

I’m glad the OP likes the putter, but this looks like something I made in metal shop in junior high back in ‘73.

I didn't realize LAB had a new head shape. I think it looks worse than the DF 2.1.

-Peter

1 minute ago, Darkfrog said:

I didn't realize LAB had a new head shape. I think it looks worse than the DF 2.1.

I just googled the putter in the thread title.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, mohearn said:

I priced one out of curiosity, $549 with 100 shaft!

That’s more than I paid for a custom fit Edel putter with customized paint and stamping. Including the cost of the fitting.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I just googled the putter in the thread title.

Duh, poor reading comprehension on my end there.

The LAB website claims it looks like a normal putter. I don't think it does at all. Looking at google image results, from the bottom it kind of looks like a normal putter, but other angles make it look weird.

The name Mezz makes me think of a mezze platter, not golf.

-Peter

2 hours ago, mohearn said:

I priced one out of curiosity, $549 with 100 shaft!  Never seen anyone play one, Never heard of it, to be honest.  

The putter should read the green and make the putt for you for that amount

36 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Agreed - ugly. And I’m not a fan of the shaft in the position that it’s in. 

4 hours ago, JPitts said:

Well, it has been a few years since people in this forum said that the Directed Force putter and their technology would never stick around

I looked and didn't find anything like that said here.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I tried the DF2.1 at the PGA SuperStore here in Columbus. They cost $399.00 for the black one. (Other colors were slightly more.) It seemed fine to me. I could see where it could help. I will say I didn't love the press grip. It would take some getting used to. 

I also couldn't find anywhere where people on this forum were saying the Directed Force putter would not stick around. 

I give them credit for trying to do something a little differently. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I also couldn't find anywhere where people on this forum were saying the Directed Force putter would not stick around. 

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

I looked and didn't find anything like that said here.

I'm guessing OP is being a little hyperbolic and referring to the locked LAB DF thread. I read the whole thing and didn't see anything like that. The only thing I saw in that thread was legitimate skepticism based on facts, and some of the DF advocates not substantiating claims about the putter with any evidence. Honestly I am glad I read that thread after I got fitted into the putter, because the somewhat obvious shilling really turned me off to the company, and makes me thing differently (although I like my putter).

-Peter

• Administrator

Let's skip the meta talk. I think it's obvious his memory of what was said doesn't align with what was actually said. That, combined with his "pleasant and respectful" line say a lot, IMO. Enough that we don't have to continue to discuss those meta topics.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

43 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I'm guessing OP is being a little hyperbolic and referring to the locked LAB DF thread. I read the whole thing and didn't see anything like that. The only thing I saw in that thread was legitimate skepticism based on facts, and some of the DF advocates not substantiating claims about the putter with any evidence. 

Yep. I knew what he was doing. I found it ironic that someone closing his post with a comment requesting the rest of us be civil opens his post with a hyperbolic argumentative statement…which was false.  Awesome start.  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny