Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 Arnold Palmer Invitational


jxdama
 Share

Recommended Posts

Its so nice to finally  be able to watch a tournament where a  player  gets  penalized for  missing the fairway  or  green. Normally there are  no penalties. Of  course the announcers are crying about  how they actually  have rough here. They should be  penalized for  missing a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • iacas changed the title to 2022 Arnold Palmer Invitational
  • Administrator
39 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Normally there are  no penalties.

That's not accurate.

You may not like that it's a 70-yard penalty, generally, for hitting it in the rough over the fairway, but to pretend there's "no penalty" is to ignore fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve loved this course condition. Average score today 75.5. Hardest since 1981. This has been great other than the usual incessant time spent showing the talking heads and not golf. I have zero interest in watching Peter Jacobsen talk. It’s hard enough to listen to him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

 I have zero interest in watching Peter Jacobsen talk. It’s hard enough to listen to him.

DING !!! 

You hit the nail on the head, brother. Why would they ever show him? I'm not even being flippant. Why? I never ever need to see him. Maybe for 10 seconds at the start of the broadcast, but if there are golfers on the course, show me golfers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am curious to hear what others opinions are on Victor Hovland’s putting. While I am positive that his bad putting is much better than my bad putting I believe they have similarities. There are 2 things we are both guilty of. First, on putts of a decent length we are very good at leaving them woefully short. The second is on missed putts inside 6 feet everyone in the group groans and says you decelled again.  I know…the best putters decel, I am completely on board with that outcome. But there must be a way of over doing it or maybe how it done. 

I think (and I hope because I have been practicing it this winter) the fix is working on @iacas day 8 where the focus is on rhythm, tempo and time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Were the weekend conditions too tough? I don't think so, but my opinion is irrelevant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Were the weekend conditions too tough? I don't think so, but my opinion is irrelevant

Absolutely not. There’s been a string of tournaments where they’re firing low every round. This was a welcomed relief from that. These guys need a little punch here and there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

They think they were, because they think "good shots" weren't rewarded, so the proper winner wasn't necessarily determined.

I… enjoy seeing it now and then.

And Rory and others could have not four-putted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve loved this course condition. Average score today 75.5. Hardest since 1981. This has been great other than the usual incessant time spent showing the talking heads and not golf. I have zero interest in watching Peter Jacobsen talk. It’s hard enough to listen to him.

There was a lot of winging about the speed of the greens, too. I say, so what? And I also like the height of the rough off of the fairways. The course should be a challenge for them guys. But, the commentary was atrocious and, again in my opinion, getting worse. I know they gotta make talk to fill any silence but good grief! Stating the obvious gets old very fast. So and so really needs this putt. So and so really needs to hit this fairway. The wind is blowing. We muted them more often than we listened. At least the greens didn't get littered with beer cans when someone made a putt.

Way to go, Scottie! Sneaking in there for the win. Well played!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


It’s golf. Usually goes both ways. Horschel got a huge stroke of luck with that free drop. He saved two strokes on that one. Seemed like the complaints of not being rewarded for good shots were when they’d hit the green and roll off. These guys are good enough to make adjustments for that. And Rory fired a 65 on Thursday. So the course got a little more difficult. I don’t see it being an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, bjfox10 said:

I am curious to hear what others opinions are on Victor Hovland’s putting. While I am positive that his bad putting is much better than my bad putting I believe they have similarities. There are 2 things we are both guilty of. First, on putts of a decent length we are very good at leaving them woefully short. The second is on missed putts inside 6 feet everyone in the group groans and says you decelled again.  I know…the best putters decel, I am completely on board with that outcome. But there must be a way of over doing it or maybe how it done. 

He's T32 so far this season in strokes gained putting, gaining .437 strokes per round putting, so gaining basically 1.75 strokes per tournament over the PGA Tour average. 

Statistically so far this season it has been his best putting season of his career.

Here are a number of notable players in the top 20 in the world that Viktor has putted better than so far this season.

Rahm, Xander, JT, Hideki, Oosthuizen, Spieth, Burns, Koepka, English, Berger

So out of the top 20 guys in the OWGR, Viktor has putted better than at least half of them this season. 

Curious as to what stats/facts you have that have lead you to believe his putting has been bad?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, klineka said:

He's T32 so far this season in strokes gained putting, gaining .437 strokes per round putting, so gaining basically 1.75 strokes per tournament over the PGA Tour average. 

Statistically so far this season it has been his best putting season of his career.

Here are a number of notable players in the top 20 in the world that Viktor has putted better than so far this season.

Rahm, Xander, JT, Hideki, Oosthuizen, Spieth, Burns, Koepka, English, Berger

So out of the top 20 guys in the OWGR, Viktor has putted better than at least half of them this season. 

Curious as to what stats/facts you have that have lead you to believe his putting has been bad?

I was referring to his performance on Saturday and Sunday. I did not looks at his stats until this morning. He did putt well on Thursday and Friday but lost strokes on both Saturday and Sunday. I was really more about what I saw. He left a number of putts 5, 6 or 7 feet short on Saturday and the raced a bunch of putts past the hole on Sunday. When he missed from inside of 6 feet it looked like his backswing was to large for the putt he was trying to make. I was just wondering if others saw the same thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, bjfox10 said:

I was referring to his performance on Saturday and Sunday. I did not looks at his stats until this morning. He did putt well on Thursday and Friday but lost strokes on both Saturday and Sunday. I was really more about what I saw. He left a number of putts 5, 6 or 7 feet short on Saturday and the raced a bunch of putts past the hole on Sunday. When he missed from inside of 6 feet it looked like his backswing was to large for the putt he was trying to make. I was just wondering if others saw the same thing. 

Sounds like he just had trouble adjusting to the green speeds as they got quite quick/slippery over the weekend. I wouldn't read too much into it. Plenty of players struggled on the greens over the weekend. I mean just on Sunday alone Rory 3 putted from 4ft 4in and Talor Gooch 4 putted from 21 feet which included a 3 putt from 2ft 6in... Viktor wasn't the only one who struggled on the greens over the weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm starting to wonder about the field that Bay Hill is getting. Not a ton of top players showing up anymore. I have played that course a few times and honestly have never really understood why it's always rated as one of the top in the state. I think there are probably four or five courses in the Orlando area alone that are way better. That being said, I wonder if the players don't like the course, don't like where it lands in the schedule, or all of the above (and Arnie isn't around anymore)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
19 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I'm starting to wonder about the field that Bay Hill is getting. Not a ton of top players showing up anymore. I have played that course a few times and honestly have never really understood why it's always rated as one of the top in the state. I think there are probably four or five courses in the Orlando area alone that are way better. That being said, I wonder if the players don't like the course, don't like where it lands in the schedule, or all of the above (and Arnie isn't around anymore)?

Could be because it is right before The Players and many pros like to just work on their game the week before and big tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/6/2022 at 9:18 PM, jxdama said:

Its so nice to finally  be able to watch a tournament where a  player  gets  penalized for  missing the fairway  or  green. Normally there are  no penalties. Of  course the announcers are crying about  how they actually  have rough here. They should be  penalized for  missing a shot.

Spot on - Scottie did incredibly well even with his many missed fairways, but his mentality was super impressive. Stayed in it, holed some major par putts - deserved to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 3/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, jxdama said:

Its so nice to finally  be able to watch a tournament where a  player  gets  penalized for  missing the fairway  or  green. Normally there are  no penalties. Of  course the announcers are crying about  how they actually  have rough here. They should be  penalized for  missing a shot.

There is an argument to be made that the rough around the greens actually helped players get penalized less compared to if the rough was shaved down and balls that missed the green didn't immediately stop.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
17 minutes ago, klineka said:

There is an argument to be made that the rough around the greens actually helped players get penalized less compared to if the rough was shaved down and balls that missed the green didn't immediately stop.

Yes and no. Multiple layers there, because if the rough is so nasty that the shots from it are tough… they'd probably almost be able to spin the ball a bit even if the ball is farther away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • As @iacas wrote above, there's nothing disingenuous about it. I am quite sincere in my skepticism. FlightScope, a company founded to measure projectiles for defense (and continues to operate in that capacity), is a world leader in ballistic tracking. Their devices require a minimum of 15' of space (7' behind the ball at address and 8' of flight). And even with Titleist RCT balls, it still guesses the spin rate on some shots. The Mevo is just a radar device and is $500. The SwingLogic SLX Hybrid X3 Pro is a radar device, GPS, Bluetooth speaker, power bank, and waterproof, for the same price (MSRP). And it requires only 3' of space (you need more than 3' of space to swing a golf club, BTW)? I have to believe sacrifices are made somewhere. Actually, this thing is supposed to provide full shot analysis, right? Like the Mevo+ with Pro Package, but at a fraction of the price? Yea, I'm skeptical. I watched the review video on their site reviewing the SLX MicroSim, BTW. I don't consider that comparison to TrackMan "accurate." Is it in the ballpark? Sure. But is it accurate? Not really. Not by my standards, anyway. Some of us care about that.
    • Yeah, a brain fart. I would be killing it on the Hooters tour if I had a better........mental game. 😜
    • Day 165 (23 May 22) - still nursing the left foot, so I worked on transition from backswing to downswing using the 3w.  Followed with hitting hard foam balls (about 15 total) from my yard to my neighbor’s and back.  
    • Day 204, May 23, 2022 35-45 minutes working on the feels: Shift Hinge in a way that my arms pull across (which doesn't happen, that's the feel) Right wrist stays flat Throw face open/behind me as I shift. Went pretty well.
    • My point was that you hit a pull-draw, and so you said you tried to hit "out" more… which just tends to make the ball draw more, which is what ended up happening.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Just trying
      Just trying
      (38 years old)
    2. Peter_b
      Peter_b
      (50 years old)
    3. SACgolf
      SACgolf
      (56 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...