IGNORED

Rising Costs of Fuel and Frequency of Playing

WillieT
Note: This thread is 767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just pondering the current fuel climate and how it may/will affect the frequency of play for me.  The closest course to me is about 20 miles away.  My truck “averages” about 19mpg.  That’s two gallons and at $4.50 a gallon (currently about $4.20 locally) that’s a ten spot just to get there and back.  Big caveat - I can drive the MX5 Miata (if I am going solo) to alleviate the brunt some.  Also my son typically rides with me to the course so I know we can share the fuel costs.  Also I have to factor in how much the cost to drive will dig into the discretionary income.
For many that is not a big deal, but for the budget minded such as myself it has me thinking what is the breaking point for the “average” golfer who may not live on the course and has a good ride to get there and back.  Also thinking the courses with gas powered carts will be pushing these increases out to riders as well.  Any thoughts out there along this line? 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, WillieT said:

Just pondering the current fuel climate and how it may/will affect the frequency of play for me.  The closest course to me is about 20 miles away.  My truck “averages” about 19mpg.  That’s two gallons and at $4.50 a gallon (currently about $4.20 locally) that’s a ten spot just to get there and back.  Big caveat - I can drive the MX5 Miata (if I am going solo) to alleviate the brunt some.  Also my son typically rides with me to the course so I know we can share the fuel costs.  Also I have to factor in how much the cost to drive will dig into the discretionary income.
For many that is not a big deal, but for the budget minded such as myself it has me thinking what is the breaking point for the “average” golfer who may not live on the course and has a good ride to get there and back.  Also thinking the courses with gas powered carts will be pushing these increases out to riders as well.  Any thoughts out there along this line? 

Perfect plan. 
Drive once to the course and then NEVER LEAVE... 🤪

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 3

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Thankfully the course 5 minutes from my house opens for the season on Wednesday of next week. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

27 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Perfect plan. 
Drive once to the course and then NEVER LEAVE... 🤪

Yup!

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

With the home course just a few miles from the house, I'll probably play the same amount, but road trips might be another story.

In the past I've driven up to 45 minutes away to play with particular people at particular courses as often as twice a month.  I'll make a point of seeing those guys a few times this year, but I may cut those trips back a little bit or try to get them to meet me closer to halfway. 

• Administrator

I mean, it's $2 more than last year. Right?

My fuel costs won't affect how much I play at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, fuel costs won't change how much I play. So far, in the Tampa area, I have not seen any major shift in tourism based on fuel costs. It has, however, had some effect on getting your food delivered (uber eats, door dash, etc.). With spring break coming, It'll be curious to see if the people still come in droves. I have a feeling they will. Maybe we'll see more of the cost/travel effects next year? My work collogues have changed some spring break plans because of fuel costs and pulling boats or RV's somewhere over the break.  

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I have been playing almost daily for the past week.  It is about 25km one way so 50 km round trip.  Not fun with the current cost of petrol but I have decided to sacrifice my discretionary income for things like eating out.  Golf takes priority for me.

WRT other expenses on the course, I pull my own trolley and have reduced snacking at the club

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

It’s just the cost of playing golf. The price will eventually drop.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

This^

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

This is a good point. The percent is pretty big. ... what 20-30%, but overall that's just 2-3 bucks. 

So, perhaps drop down from PRO-V1's to a Vice ball?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea, the math makes it not to bad. 

$2 dollar difference from 2021 to 2022, let's say you have a 30 mile total trip, that is about 1.2 gallons at 25 miles per gallon. Which is only $2.4 more. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, the math makes it not to bad. 

$2 dollar difference from 2021 to 2022, let's say you have a 30 mile total trip, that is about 1.2 gallons at 25 miles per gallon. Which is only $2.4 more. 

I suppose with inflation being what it is, I think it hit a four-decade-high in February. (it all depends on how you look at the numbers, but suffices to say inflation is going to be high this year.) 

Perhaps, your entire budget may get squeezed and that may cause your golf budget to shrink. But, I tend to prioritize differently. I mean seriously, do my kids need to eat EVERY day? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I suppose with inflation being what it is, I think it hit a four-decade-high in February. (it all depends on how you look at the numbers, but suffices to say inflation is going to be high this year.) 

Perhaps, your entire budget may get squeezed and that may cause your golf budget to shrink. But, I tend to prioritize differently. I mean seriously, do my kids need to eat EVERY day? 

If you only feed them twice instead of three times, that's 33% savings!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Funny 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Good point and maybe I am being too “the sky is falling” in my thinking.  The cost of fuel has fueled conversations in other areas and was wondering how the TST community sees it.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Overall life priority dictates that golf will not take a hit because of fuel price increase. Some other discretionary spending will be reigned back though.  

Vishal S.

36 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This is a good point. The percent is pretty big. ... what 20-30%, but overall that's just 2-3 bucks. 

So, perhaps drop down from PRO-V1's to a Vice ball?

I play cheap balls anyway - so to get any cheaper they would have to be free….lol. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I don't see it as a factor at this point. And besides, how much is your mental health worth? Now my buddies that bought boats, they are probably gasping every time they pull into the marina! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!