IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

• Administrator
5 hours ago, metzbuck33 said:

I've read this entire thread and decided to order an H4. Looking forward to trying it out! 

Hope you used the link on the right sidebar to save a %.

You'll enjoy it!

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With the recent GG email, my GG is as good as trash.  Already have a Garmin handheld gps and Leupold laser, so the new watch is so far the way I’m leaning.  Will need to spend a little more time researching.

Question.  Has anyone used the handheld or watch on holes that have two greens?  If so, was it pretty easy to switch between greens?

The course where I play men’s league has two holes with two greens, and the yardages are a bit different between the greens.

Took the maiden run out with the H4. One thing I think I was doing wrong was tagging the putts. Can someone walk me through the procedure they use to mark the hole location and their putts?

Thank you! 

29 minutes ago, metzbuck33 said:

Took the maiden run out with the H4. One thing I think I was doing wrong was tagging the putts. Can someone walk me through the procedure they use to mark the hole location and their putts?

Thank you! 

Use the tag on your putter at the ball to mark the ball location before you putt for each putt. Then when you putt out, the screen will let you select the number of putts. Go to the flag and put the total number even if you were off the green and used your putter. I usually wait until everyone finishes putting to mark the flag locale so as not to slow things up.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Perfect. This is exactly what I was doing wrong. I was not tagging the location of my first putt. I was marking the flag but it was reading it as 2 putts from a foot away! 

22 minutes ago, metzbuck33 said:

Perfect. This is exactly what I was doing wrong. I was not tagging the location of my first putt. I was marking the flag but it was reading it as 2 putts from a foot away! 

You can move the locations later when editing the round too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I usually wait until everyone finishes putting to mark the flag locale so as not to slow things up.

I’m still awful at using the pin collect function.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I’m still awful at using the pin collect function.

Depends on who I’m playing with and the situation. Sometimes I miss or we need to move faster and skip it. When I play with others who use it like @Bob M, its easy.

• Like 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 5 weeks later...

Question on "Positional" shots.

Last night on a Par 4 I had a real bad drive of 110 yards leaving a 283 yard shot to the green on a Par 4.  I simply do not have that club in my bag.  I had a clear view of the green and no hazards to worry about so I took aim at the green.  I did hit a good shot with my 3-Hybrid going 217 yards but that was still well short of the green.  My question is, since I had a clear view of the green and took aim at the green can I still call it "Positional"? Or since I had no realistic hope of actually hitting it all the way to the green do I call it Positional?

My thought is that is is a Positional shot since I was not expecting to hit the green but am curious what others think.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

25 minutes ago, StuM said:

Last night on a Par 4 I had a real bad drive of 110 yards leaving a 283 yard shot to the green on a Par 4.  I simply do not have that club in my bag.  I had a clear view of the green and no hazards to worry about so I took aim at the green.  I did hit a good shot with my 3-Hybrid going 217 yards but that was still well short of the green.  My question is, since I had a clear view of the green and took aim at the green can I still call it "Positional"? Or since I had no realistic hope of actually hitting it all the way to the green do I call it Positional?

My thought is that is is a Positional shot since I was not expecting to hit the green but am curious what others think.

I would do positional on that shot. It was your intention. It still may include the distance in your overall stats. It would if you were on a par 5.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Yea, it’s a positional shot. Positional shot is defined by Shot Scope. 

af88773ec39c3c052ccf528e5077c0fe15287612

A positional shot is an approach shot where you are not attempting to hit the green, instead you are intentionally...

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea, it’s a positional shot. Positional shot is defined by Shot Scope. 

af88773ec39c3c052ccf528e5077c0fe15287612

A positional shot is an approach shot where you are not attempting to hit the green, instead you are intentionally...

Well, that is pretty clear.  Case closed

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Well, that is pretty clear.  Case closed

For your case, certainly.

I get into a bit of a gray area when I’m trying to hit a running hook out from under the trees hoping to get it on the green, for example. On the one hand, it’s a trouble shot. On the other, the green is technically the target, regardless of how unlikely it is that I’ll hit it. In the end I always just mark those as positional shots.

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

For your case, certainly.

I get into a bit of a gray area when I’m trying to hit a running hook out from under the trees hoping to get it on the green, for example. On the one hand, it’s a trouble shot. On the other, the green is technically the target, regardless of how unlikely it is that I’ll hit it. In the end I always just mark those as positional shots.

I do the same. Even if the green is the target, if I am making a recovery shot from trouble area, I mark it as positional. I don't think it makes sense for shots like that to be considered in the "approach" shots data for strokes gained (for me at least, since there is very low probability of hitting the green, and the goal is just to safely advance the ball as far as possible).

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I do the same. Even if the green is the target, if I am making a recovery shot from trouble area, I mark it as positional. I don't think it makes sense for shots like that to be considered in the "approach" shots data for strokes gained (for me at least, since there is very low probability of hitting the green, and the goal is just to safely advance the ball as far as possible).

Yea, plus you’re to a target like 40 yards shorter than your usual distance with that club, too.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to play so I decided to further study the H4.    I found out that I had 27 course updates!   It takes some time to update each course but I've got time.  

@StuM, Westwynd was corrected so 15-18 is now correct.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny