IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

• Administrator

What does the "Positional" button do?

image.png

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

What does the "Positional" button do?

image.png

I believe it's used for a punch out from trouble.  

• Informative 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Oh. So it treats it as a trouble shot and not a really bad approach shot or something? That makes sense.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

That’s good to know. Guess you can probably use it for other shots that are not typical lies or something. Like the knee high fescue I played out of several times today.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Positional shot info:

https://support.shotscope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001044237-What-is-a-positional-shot-

Apparently you're supposed to use it for second shots on par fives where you're not going for the green, too. I may have to edit a few shots…

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Positional shot info:

https://support.shotscope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001044237-What-is-a-positional-shot-

Apparently you're supposed to use it for second shots on par fives where you're not going for the green, too. I may have to edit a few shots…

I'm glad I saw this post as I didn't know what "positional shot" meant either. On my home course I cannot reach three of the Par 4s or any of the Par 5s in two and so went through and made the appropriate edits in all of my rounds on Shot Scope. The end result is that on a Strokes Gained basis my driving is worse and approach game better than I thought. Good to have the clarity, however. 

Edited by Bob M
clarity
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Positional shot info:

I so glad you brought this up I had wondered about that. I had to go back and edit all my rounds. Changed some of my stats.

On 5/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, Darkfrog said:

I thought it was the opposite, and the software knows to count putts from areas surrounding the green as short game shots. 

af88773ec39c3c052ccf528e5077c0fe15287612

You should include every putt from on or off the green in the PinCollect calculation. This...

Good to know I have not been doing this and I have had to correct it during the editing process.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:06 PM, billchao said:

Pulling the unit off the belt clip to tag my shots was fine. It gave me an opportunity to read the GPS anyway. The first few times I did it, I had a bit of trouble getting it back on the clip correctly. Even dropped it once. I found myself doing a mix of tagging my putter with the unit in my hand and tagging with it still on my belt, whichever felt more natural at that given moment.

Thats what i've been doing lately, pulling it off my belt to check the GPS and then just tagging it at the same time. It's actually a lot easier that trying to tag it on my belt IMHO

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Positional shot info:

Thanks for this. I edited my previous rounds.

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Thats what i've been doing lately, pulling it off my belt to check the GPS and then just tagging it at the same time. It's actually a lot easier that trying to tag it on my belt IMHO

I like it much better this way. I used this method for the whole round today.

The stats definitely seem to be an improvement over Game Golf (I keep referencing it because that's what I and many others here are familiar with). The positional shot function gives you more control over how Shot Scope uses your shots. I'm not sure Game Golf factored this kind of stuff automatically, though I am inclined to assume no simply due to the number of times it gave me "advice" to improve my approach shots from 200+ yards out.

Shot Scope also seems to factor your penalties/lost balls into your performance. I have three rounds in so far and they're not good. Currently, one in four of my driver shots has resulted in a penalty (yes there is a percentage shown) and I am losing strokes to a 20 handicap off the tee. Ouch.

The detailed breakdowns are pretty cool, too. I'll probably wait until I get more rounds in to post some screenshots, but I like they way they have it set up so that you can easily compare things at a glance.

One thing to note: the unit fell off my belt clip in the car on the way home. I didn't notice it until I got inside and went to take it off my belt, only to find just the clip there. It ended up being in my seat in the car, but it's something to keep in mind for the future. I'm not going to just put it on my belt before I walk out the door like I used to with Game Golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I like the sound of the positional shots -- it sounds like they're a case for "I am not hitting a drive, but I am not going for the green either."  In my view, and (going from memory) those of Broadie, those are still in the approach shot category, although I could've sworn I saw someone talking about "strokes gained: trouble shots" at one point.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

One thing to note: the unit fell off my belt clip in the car on the way home. I didn't notice it until I got inside and went to take it off my belt, only to find just the clip there. It ended up being in my seat in the car, but it's something to keep in mind for the future. I'm not going to just put it on my belt before I walk out the door like I used to with Game Golf.

I keep my GG in my bag until I get to the course, and then I put it back after the round (until I get home and take it out again to recharge and retrieve, before it goes back into the bag).  Would that work? 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Played 18 holes today at Cranberry Highlands (I wish, as someone mentioned above, that we could share the rounds). Used the "positional" shot on every second shot on a par five. Didn't have any punch-outs or anything, but I also edited the old rounds.

The laser rangefinder… is okay. It sometimes has a little trouble picking up the flag. Often it will say "359" when the flag is 144 yards away, and it's getting something (??) well behind the flag. I also wish it had a magnet to stick to the cart, but that's just something I've gotten used to. I've used my Frogger Latch-It thing, but it only wraps around the front end because of the three buttons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone have an idea about how to proceed with a free drop? There is a large area of GUR at my course. I hit it in there and had to take a drop approx 30 yards back in the fairway. If I tag from the new spot it takes 30 yards from the drive, if I tag from where it actually was, it takes 30 yards from the approach. There is a drop option, but it adds penalty strokes.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Anyone have an idea about how to proceed with a free drop? There is a large area of GUR at my course. I hit it in there and had to take a drop approx 30 yards back in the fairway. If I tag from the new spot it takes 30 yards from the drive, if I tag from where it actually was, it takes 30 yards from the approach. There is a drop option, but it adds penalty strokes.

I wrote a response but realized I misread your post.

You should email them and see what they say. My gut says just alter the shots until it works. Like keep the approach from where you hit it but change the club for the tee shot or something?

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I'm not sure if this helps, but my feeling with the GG and free drops was that it'd be close to evening out over a long period of time, so I treat it as if the previous shot ended where I hit my next shot from.  But an option for "shot 1 ended here, free drop to this location" would be nice, I agree. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I wrote a response but realized I misread your post.

You should email them and see what they say. My gut says just alter the shots until it works. Like keep the approach from where you hit it but change the club for the tee shot or something?

I sent an email, for the time being I left the drive as a positional shot and just left the tag where I dropped from. In the end it's not going to make a lot of difference in my stats.

Okay, I think I'm caught up.
I've read this whole thread over a couple of days and I'm pretty sure I want in on this. 
I was an Arccos user for a couple of years and liked it. 

Here's my question:

Are you all just using the shot tracking device, or are any of you also using the range finder with the tracking device? 

51R6izCWEXL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.728785ee78f8fe8a071bcfbb9c50fe07.jpg

Integrating them together seems kind of cool. But I'm not sure if there's any benefit to using "The H4" rangefinder as apposed to my Bushnell. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, I think I'm caught up.
I've read this whole thread over a couple of days…

Are you all just using the shot tracking device, or are any of you also using the range finder with the tracking device? 

Hmmmmm.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hmmmmm.

I know you are using the laser rangefinder. But are the rest of the guys using it? It seems like most of you are just using the GPS device... and the tags, of course. 

I'm assuming there's no advantage to using their rangefinder as apposed to any other range finder? 

I don't think I saw any mention of an advantage to theirs other than a convenient place to stick the GPS device. Just wondering if I should consider getting the kit that comes with both the GPS device AND the rangefinder, or if I should get the kit without the rangefinder as I already have a rangefinder? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

32 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I know you are using the laser rangefinder. But are the rest of the guys using it? It seems like most of you are just using the GPS device... and the tags, of course. 

I'm assuming there's no advantage to using their rangefinder as apposed to any other range finder? 

I don't think I saw any mention of an advantage to theirs other than a convenient place to stick the GPS device. Just wondering if I should consider getting the kit that comes with both the GPS device AND the rangefinder, or if I should get the kit without the rangefinder as I already have a rangefinder? 

@billchao and I are using just the device. We both also have laser rangefinders that we use on the course additionally.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave