IGNORED

2022 U.S. Open at The Country Club, Brookline, MA

Friz

uspenftrohy.jpg?w=640

Monday is known as “Golf’s Longest Day,” a 36-hole grind at nine locations.

Fun day of golf coming Monday with a large chunk of US Open qualifying.  Article includes where and when some of the bigger names are playing for anyone interested in following

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 2022 U.S. Open Qualifying
(edited)
1 hour ago, Friz said:
uspenftrohy.jpg?w=640

Monday is known as “Golf’s Longest Day,” a 36-hole grind at nine locations.

Fun day of golf coming Monday with a large chunk of US Open qualifying.  Article includes where and when some of the bigger names are playing for anyone interested in following

One of the smallest names is a young man from my home club, playing at the qualifier in Rockville, MD.  I'd like to follow along through Golf Genius, but I'll be acting as Rules Official for qualifiers for the Virginia Open and Amateur on Monday and Tuesday.

Edited by DaveP043

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

One of the smallest names is a young man from my home club, playing at the qualifier in Rockville, MD.  I'd like to follow along through Golf Genius, but I'll be acting as Rules Official for qualifiers for the Virginia Open and Amateur on Monday and Tuesday.

That's so cool, the personal connections at this level are so much fun to follow along as well.  Good luck to him tomorrow.

I had a distant acquaintance participating in the PGA Professional Championship with a shot to be one of the 20 PGA pros in the PGA Championship.  He didnt end up making it and I didn't know the guy well but following along was still great rooting for him

-Eric

I think every year that there is a qualifier, I am amazed at how many people don't have an exemption already.  Zach Johnson needs to qualify to play this year, for example, as does Bill Haas, and I think the next major that Tiger isn't exempt into is an Open (but not the one in a little over a week).   

A little, but not very, surprising how they list Danny Woodhead's fame.  They could have gone with the attention he got on Hard Knocks. And the team he spent the most time with, the Chargers, weren't mentioned. 😕 

I look forward to checking in regularly tomorrow. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I enjoy watching Wesley and George Bryan on their YouTube channel, they're both in the field at the Maryland location today and I recognized a couple other players in there, Harry Higgs, Kevin Chappell, Dylan Wu, Grayson Murray, etc.

Excited to see if either of them can advance, would be really cool if George did since he's not a PGA tour player.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I went to the one in NY, Old Oaks, here are some photos and videos. Didn't recognize anyone. But I'm not up to date on all the players, so many.

IMG_3592.JPGIMG_3576.jpgIMG_3577.jpgIMG_3575.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It's interesting the course I went to had the highest qualifying scores. I saw a lot of balls hitting trees, players not escaping the rough. Brutal if you don't hit the fairway. NE golf. Saw a kid hit a I dunno 2 or 3 iron 270 yards so straight. Crazy.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/2022-us-open-final-qualifying-who-advanced-country-club-brookline

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

@nevets88 some of us call that a typical weekend round. Minus the brutal US Open type rough of course. Damn trees!

• Funny 2

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I have more videos. Holler if ya'll want me to post. The reason I'm so far away while videoing is I'm not sure of the policy and wanted to stay out of the way as much as possible.

Steve

40 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

It's interesting the course I went to had the highest qualifying scores. I saw a lot of balls hitting trees, players not escaping the rough. Brutal if you don't hit the fairway. NE golf. Saw a kid hit a I dunno 2 or 3 iron 270 yards so straight. Crazy.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/2022-us-open-final-qualifying-who-advanced-country-club-brookline

That ended up one of the more interesting qualifiers....5 spots up for grabs and there ended up being 8 guys tied for third.  Had to have been quite the playoff to participate in

-Eric

Too bad Ricky Fowler and Matt Wolfe didn't make it (Fowler is an alternate). They were in Jupiter, FL which seems like it might be a little harder down there to get through, but what do I know.

11 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Too bad Ricky Fowler and Matt Wolfe didn't make it (Fowler is an alternate). They were in Jupiter, FL which seems like it might be a little harder down there to get through, but what do I know.

I didnt recognize any of the 4 guys that qualified from there, seems like they just got outplayed.  but Wolff has been playing some exceptionally bad golf since the start of 2022.  Rickie was close, and as an alternate may have a chance to get in.

Tiger isn't playing, and that leaves an open spot in the field...anyone know who is top of the list to take that spot?

-Eric

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

The difficulty in any one qualifier is a blend of the number of spots (i.e. 80 for 5 is tougher than 60 for 6) and who is playing (duh, a field with a lot of PGA Tour players is tougher).

As you know.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good to see that Bramlett and Chappell made it.  Sorry to see that Chargers legend Danny Woodhead didn't;  I would have enjoyed seeing him qualify, although I doubt he'd have made the cut if he did.  But he made it far in qualifying, that's pretty cool.   And I see Mackenzie Hughes qualified, too, and at some point I'll figure out why he was on my mind recently.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

14 hours ago, iacas said:

The difficulty in any one qualifier is a blend of the number of spots (i.e. 80 for 5 is tougher than 60 for 6) and who is playing (duh, a field with a lot of PGA Tour players is tougher).

Are there any threads on your or Dave's (or anyone else in TST community) exploits on qualifying for the US open? 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Are there any threads on your or Dave's (or anyone else in TST community) exploits on qualifying for the US open? 

I haven't tried to qualify. Dave just missed out on U.S. Senior Open qualifying at Indiana Country Club a few weeks ago (I caddied). He was tied for the lead through 12.

• Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

I haven't tried to qualify. 

Just wondering, do you have any desire to try some day? And (if it's not already) do you think you could get your game to a spot where you'd have a realistic chance at qualifying? 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, klineka said:

Just wondering, do you have any desire to try some day? 

No.

There are plenty of reasons, too.

None of them are "I'm not good in tournaments." I do well in tournaments (in large part because none of them are going to change my life, so while I want to perform well, I don't get nervous, etc. In fact I like that the greens are better prepared, you get pin sheets, etc. The things that are different about tournaments tend to help me play better, not worse like so many people).

I don't like the pace of play.

I don't like dealing with the people with whom I'm playing, almost one of whom is going to be having a bad day and quite likely behaving boorishly… for five hours.

I don't like having to travel, and find a caddie, and work with that caddie in a one-off situation.

I'd rather teach than carve out enough practice time that I feel it's a valid shot and not just for shits and giggles.

I plan to play more section events next year, and might try to play our section championship this year, but… I don't know. I like having a fairly flexible schedule, too.

• Thumbs Up 1