IGNORED

NCAA Football 2023

saevel25

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It's a bit more complicated. I am not sure McCord would have even played since he was dealing with level 2 sprained ankles. They probably would have shut him down to get healthy, and by that time he gets no reps. 

Also, I think McCord wanted out. Not sure if this is what he signed up for, but it clearly didn't work out how he wanted. He probably saw the writing on the wall. With a lack luster 2023, and a new QB competition next year, he didn't want to wait till after spring to transfer. 

My guess is that McCord and his agent/manager felt his NFL Draft Prospects this year are less than desired and if he can get another year of college as a starter he may up his value.  And he knows the quality of the backup QBs and pending recruits so likely knows he would not be a guaranteed starter next year.  If the goes through the portal the team taking him would most likely be one that needs a starter and give him better odds of starting next year.  I'm sure he discussed all of this with Coach Day and I doubt any of this is a surprise to Day.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Division 3 college football has had a 32 team tournament since 1973. 
They don't even give out scholarships yet their "Student Athletes" can participate in a tournament. 

I used to love it when the NCAA would claim we can't have a football tournament because the "student athlete" would be taken out of class for too long. 

• NCAA for 20 years:                      "We can't do a playoff it's unfair to the student athlete. They would miss too many classes." 
  • Everyone else:                             "Division 3 does it and they don't even offer scholarships." 
  • NCAA:                                         "We can't do a playoff it would mean too many games for student athletes." 
  • Everyone else:                             "Um... You've added 3 games to everyone's schedule over the last 20 years... Couldn't you have made that a playoff?" 
  • NCAA for 10 more years:            "A playoff would ruin the economics of college football and too many schools depend on the revenue."
  • 2014:                                           "First year of a 4 team playoff increases revenue by 25%" 
  • NCAA:                                         "We don't have enough money to expand the playoff." 
  • From 2015-2019                         "Revenue in college football doubles. and then doubles again."
  • NCAA:                                         "Okay, I guess we can expand the playoffs." 
  • Everyone else:                             "What took you guys so long?" 
  • NCAA:                                         "We didn't realize how much money was in it.....Er ... um ... I mean, we care about the student athlete." 

I agree.  I had felt for a few years that a good solution would be simply take the early bowl games, the ones that nobody watches, and make them the 1st round of a playoff.    This year there are bowl games beginning on Dec. 16th and most of those are going to be very low ratings/attendance.  Making them playoff rounds would drastically increase viewership which would drastically increase revenue which I think would more than be sufficient to provide "Revenue Sharing" to offset the lost revenue to some teams.  It may even increase revenue to the smaller programs. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

More big changes coming to college football, or at least being discussed. 

NCAA president Charlie Baker proposes the creation of a new Division I subdivision that would allow high-resource schools to compensate athletes via trust funds and NIL.

Yep, this is what I thought would happen and should happen with where college football is going. 

There are 133 FBS teams, if you look at teams that actually spend the resources to be elite in college football (compete for national championships), the list is much smaller. There are some schools who are OK with just competing for conference championships, but that is going to go away. Most conferences are going without divisions, and this will only make the elite schools more successful because the non-elite schools cannot feast upon a bad division and make it to the conference championship. I am talking to you Iowa. 

If this passes, it will be interesting to see which schools opt to this new division. 

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I hope this gets the point across to the FSU fans who can’t understand why they were left out. My goodness…what an absolute disgrace. A bit of a shame that we didn’t really get to see Ohio State properly play Missouri. Injuries and the damn transfer portal really messed up some games. PSU, meh. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

Did any other top programs lose many to the portal? Did FSU lose any?

FSU had over 20 starters absent for this game with injuries, portal, and unfortunately opt-outs. I’m not sure how many just because of portal, but they were a mere shell of who they were before Jaylin got hurt.

• Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I was most disappointed in how the OSU O-Line played. Just could not handle any sort of blitz pressure at all. Missouri blitz ALOT. Then OSU didn't want to try to run any plays to try to punish the blitz. It was an offensive game plan snafu and horrible O-line play. OSU was out their starting center, but he was a below average player all year. Still, just BAD. 

The defense was impressive for OSU though. When your offense can not sustain drives, and you keep a good offense to 14 points, you do a pretty good job. 14 points in college is an amazing tasks. In the end, the defense got worn out being on the field for most of the 2nd half. 

I hope Day will make some changes on the staff for the offense next year. 

1. Get an OC on staff. Some HC can be the OC, or maybe just call plays during the game, but Day is too involved on the offensive side of the ball. 

2. The reason I want a good OC is because they tend to oversee the QB's. We have a QB coach, but he handles the backups while Day handles the starting QB. The backups were not very good. So, maybe he isn't very good at his job. If you get an OC then Day can handle all the QB's. 

3. Get rid of the special teams coach and make the coaching staff balanced on offense and defense. With a dedicated special teams coach, the special teams have been BAD. 

I know from some OSU fans, this will scare them because Hartline is a Co-OC, but he is not ready. OSU didn't want to lose him to some lower level school that would want to try him out as a full OC. But, he might not be cut out for it. If he leaves, he leaves. I know he gets you 2-3 5-Star WR every year, but putting him in an important position just because of that is not good. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

OSU needs better testing earlier in the season. PSU and ND just don’t do it. Not when all we hear about it is how amazing their recruiting is, how the numbers show them to be so high in strength, etc.

Waiting until November to play their true matched opponent ( Michigan) just isn’t good enough. They spend so much of their season beating on teams well below their caliber. I’m not sure Day has made faults, it’s just hard to really assess their areas of weakness in November against usually a top 5 team. I realize other teams have done this, but Day needs to finish. 

I also get that their SOS is usually pretty high but I just can’t see it. I think their opponents are over judged. I obviously don’t like OSU but I certainly respect how strong they are. I’d just like to see them play a real beast early in their season.

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

OSU needs better testing earlier in the season. PSU and ND just don’t do it. Not when all we hear about it is how amazing their recruiting is, how the numbers show them to be so high in strength, etc.

And Missouri did? Come on man, that’s a bad take. They played UM even. So, let’s stop this. OSU didn’t show up offensively against Missouri. The O-Line had their worst performance all year. Per PFF, they allowed a 50% pressure rate on drop backs. PSU has one of the best havoc rates in the country, and that didn’t happen during that game. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

PSU lost to Ole Miss. you’re doing it again. You rely on numbers and just disregard the actual match. NONE of your numbers and stats hold more weight than a head to head match. Hell you seem to think that if a team has better stats losing doesn’t matter. PSU lost to Ole Miss.

Generating big numbers when you play teams far below your caliber is meaningless. Look at Caleb Williams….his stats against cupcakes are impressive…but against strong teams….he’s all hype..which is starting to be suspected and discussed. 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

PSU lost to Ole Miss. you’re doing it again. You rely on numbers and just disregard the actual match. NONE of your numbers and stats hold more weight than a head to head match. Hell you seem to think that if a team has better stats losing doesn’t matter. PSU lost to Ole Miss.

You mean an Ole Miss, whose only losses are to Alabama and Georgia. Yea, they are a trash team. 

Also, PSU was out two top corners, which in the end of the day, against a Lane Kiffin passing offense might have been too much to ask for. So, just some perspective on the specific situation PSU was up against. Which is why, modern bowl games are not the barometer they use to be. Bowl games are more exhibition matches than actual ways to see which teams are good or not outside of their conference. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Didn’t say Ole Miss was a trash team. And yes, their two losses were to Alabama and Georgia. Gosh, they had to play both of them and LSU? Imagine if that was OSU schedule…..😀

Excited Michigan Football GIF by Michigan Athletics

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Well it’s done. I don’t think Penix just ever got his mojo going. It was the toughest defense he’d come across for sure. Donovan was on fire for MI. Some missed holding calls, but nothing devastating. Too many momentum killers for WA. It was nice to see a non-SEC final despite being a fan of the SEC in general. But I guess conferences don’t really mean what they used to now. 

Hats off to Michigan, they deserved it. They were the best and most complete team over the course of the entire season. 

Only thing I don't agree with is the fact that Harbaugh stated this after the game:

The off-the-field issues, we're innocent and we stood strong and tall because we knew we were innocent. And I'd like to point that out

You don't get suspended for 40% of your team's games across two separate suspensions if you're (which would cover the team, coaches, staff, etc) 100% innocent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

About the only real solace I can take from the whole thing is that at least it wasn't another SEC or Clemson national championship and It shows on a level that Ohio State wasn't that far off the mark. They gave TTUN a game. 

The Blue Boys are going to be very loud this year. 

I do find it interesting that the 4-team college football playoff format was book-ended by a Big 10 team winning the NC. Both of them faced off against a Pac-12 team. The Big 10 team that made it to the NC game beat Alabama to do so. Just a lot of fun coincidences, lol. 

When UM had those two big runs in the first half, I thought they were about to smoke Washington from the start. YOU MUST be gap sound against UM or they house it. Their RB are too good. Credit Washington for making it a game for the next 2.5 quarters or so. They held UM in check even though their offense was struggling most of the game. It's tough on a defense to constantly have to go back out there after a short offensive attempt. In the end, it was UM's D-Line winning against Washingtons O-Line. In the end Penix just didn't have enough time to hit the downfield shots. 

I think UM takes the page out of NFL defenses. A lot of Cover 4 mixed with Cover 6, forcing a lot of underneath throws that they are good open field tackles so no YAC. They will say, you will hold the ball for 3-4 seconds because you do not process fast enough to get to the 3rd guy by the time our d-line will get to you. 

Now the question is, does Harbaugh jump to the NFL. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

My take: Wreck it, then bolt. If the signal-stealing scandal evolves into a finding the team cheated, it could be stripped of its national championship, the way USC was thanks to Pete Carroll, who left to coach the Seahawks while the program went to ruin because of the consequences of his actions there.

Not my take, but… the story isn't over.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets