IGNORED

Longest Hole You've Played

jamesbei
Note: This thread is 1578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The old Desert Rose courss had a 629 yard par 5 for it's 4th hole. (13th hole depending on where they started you).

This was from the tips. Most folks played it from the 515 tee box. Unless you knew about it, and read the the score card, the 629 tee box was not really noticeable. 

Back when I was bullet proof, it was a driver, three wood, 5 wood, and two putts (or less) for me. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A local public course, Brae Burn, advertises their hole as "The Monster."  It allegedly measures 666 yards.  I parred the hole but my approach was with a 4 iron (back when I owned a 4 iron). 

Brian Kuehn

630-645 depending on where the tee box is setup. Plays 660 from the tips. 

I haven’t been able to hit what I need to reach it in 3 because I usually miss one shot... but in theory it would be driver 3 wood and short iron with absolutely no way of reaching it in 2. 

633 yards at Forest Park in St. Louis.  When I was a kid first taking up this hellish game I'd always hope for 3 successful shots and then I could maybe hit a 7 iron into the green with my 4th shot.  Later, as a teen, I was actually able to hit a wedge or 9 iron into the green on my 3rd shot.

Other than the time Evil Kneivel and I hit 400 yard drives over the Grand Canyon.

18th hole at Surrey Golf Club.....630 from the tips...sea level....plays into the wind...and a very elevated green...so add on 20 yards....if a back pin on a large green...add another 15 yards....the green is tilted back to front so not much roll out.

Edited by Mr22putt

Kapalua, plantation course 18th...636 from Championship but 677 from the tour tees. The second shot on 17 and 18 are much harder than they look on television. They are both on downhill lies. On 18 you have the option to play to the right more but 17 for a regular golfer has a long approach from a downhill lie that has to fly over a ravine...all the way in the air. 17 is 513 and 550 from Champ. or tour tees.

621, Colony West #1.  Truth be told, I have not played it at that distance, but it has not been particularly difficult to reach the green in 3 at 590. However the green itself is evil, sloping into a steep bunker.

View an interactive course map and hole-by-hole layout. Enjoy an aerial view of each hole, GPS distance, yardage book and more.

619, #17 at Boca Greens. I struggle with this hole considerably.  This hole is truly diabolical. There is water on both sides, and at key choke points in addition to the distance.  Even with a good drive you still have to carry a nearly lateral water hazard almost 200 yards with your 2nd shot to have a chance for a GIR.  Best I have got is bogey once.

View an interactive course map and hole-by-hole layout. Enjoy an aerial view of each hole, GPS distance, yardage book and more.

19 hours ago, mrushing268 said:

Kapalua, plantation course 18th...636 from Championship but 677 from the tour tees. The second shot on 17 and 18 are much harder than they look on television. They are both on downhill lies. On 18 you have the option to play to the right more but 17 for a regular golfer has a long approach from a downhill lie that has to fly over a ravine...all the way in the air. 17 is 513 and 550 from Champ. or tour tees.

back in 2010 #18 was "only" 585 from the whites.  Still have the pic from the GPS in the cart saying I had 225 left in.  Unless I catch a cart path really well, that will be the only 360 yard drive I ever hit.

#18 at Lake Chabot Golf Course in Oakland, CA.

~650 yard par 6. Really dumb hole, but fun to play. Second shot (assuming first was good) is a long, steeply downhill layup/approach. I’ve hit my 7 iron 280 yards in mid-summer when the turf is dried out.  

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

15 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

#18 at Lake Chabot Golf Course in Oakland, CA.

~650 yard par 6. Really dumb hole, but fun to play. Second shot (assuming first was good) is a long, steeply downhill layup/approach. I’ve hit my 7 iron 280 yards in mid-summer when the turf is dried out.  

Looked at that hole online. Must be extremely steep... the cart path switchbacks back and forth down the hill.  Has anyone ever rolled their cart there?

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Looked at that hole online. Must be extremely steep... the cart path switchbacks back and forth down the hill.  Has anyone ever rolled their cart there?

Very steep, and yes, my idiot friend after about 10 beers tipped his cart circumventing the switchbacks. Luckily no injuries. He did damage a few of his clubs, and we confiscated his car keys afterward. I was walking so I was unaffected. 

-Peter

On 12/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, Darkfrog said:

Very steep, and yes, my idiot friend after about 10 beers tipped his cart circumventing the switchbacks. Luckily no injuries. He did damage a few of his clubs, and we confiscated his car keys afterward. I was walking so I was unaffected. 

Wow! I know the hole (and course) in question, and indeed your friend got lucky!  You failed to mention that the reason for being a par 6 is that the last 200 yards are way uphill, probably on a bigger grade than the downhill part with the switchbacks... It's a very weird hole I thought.

ETA: Kudos for you to be walking on that course, because nearly all the other holes have huge elevation changes, both up and down of course. You must have some good legs!

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

3 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Kudos for you to be walking on that course, because nearly all the other holes have huge elevation changes, both up and down of course. You must have some good legs!

And kudos to you Darkfrog for confiscating the guy's car keys.  Probably saved his life or someone else's.

• Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to Longest Hole You've Played
15 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Wow! I know the hole (and course) in question, and indeed your friend got lucky!  You failed to mention that the reason for being a par 6 is that the last 200 yards are way uphill, probably on a bigger grade than the downhill part with the switchbacks... It's a very weird hole I thought.

It's a wonky hole for sure. Personally I hate it, especially the final, even steeper uphill approach to a tiny, green. There are spots on that uphill section where it's almost impossible to to get a solid, balanced stance.

15 hours ago, sjduffers said:

ETA: Kudos for you to be walking on that course, because nearly all the other holes have huge elevation changes, both up and down of course. You must have some good legs!

I only play Lake Chabot a handful of times a year, but it is one course where I am often tempted to use a cart. In the Bay Area there are lots of hilly courses, but most of the ones I've played are routed in a way that limit the amount of elevation change. The Lake Chabot course seems to have been designed to have as much elevation change possible.

15 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And kudos to you Darkfrog for confiscating the guy's car keys.  Probably saved his life or someone else's.

Yeah, if my friend wants to break his own neck being reckless in a golf cart, I can chalk that up to play stupid games, win stupid prizes, but driving drunk and risking other's lives is not okay.

• Upvote 1

-Peter

2 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Yeah, if my friend wants to break his own neck being reckless in a golf cart, I can chalk that up to play stupid games, win stupid prizes, but driving drunk and risking other's lives is not okay.

You can be my designated driver tomorrow night...

Note: This thread is 1578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!