IGNORED

Dropping the Driver

Opoponax

After my 15+ year hiatus from the game, I decided that when I started playing that I was finally going to learn how to hit driver. My game has steadily improved, but over the past three weeks/rounds, I've kept track of my shots when a hole goes wrong. For example, I'll write down "T" on the scorecard when my tee shot goes awry. I'll write down "A7" for a bad approach shot with a 7 iron, etc. 

I've now gathered enough "T's" to absolutely confirm that the driver is 75% of my woes. I may duff a shot with an iron and I may skull a wedge over a green, but only very rarely is one of those shots catastrophic to the hole (e.g., leads to a triple bogey). But when it comes to using driver, nearly every lost ball can be attributed to a spirit crushing slice or pull OB. 

Then there's my 7 wood. I don't know why I hit it so well. Maybe it fits my eye, my swing---whatever. It's the most rock solid reliable club in the bag and I can hit it 200-210 pretty reliably (and why does my F&$#*(g driver only go 230???). And I hit my 5 wood off the deck just as far, if not consistently farther than driver (and much more reliably). 

I want to just leave my driver home next time I go out, but it feels like accepting defeat. I also bought the damn thing just 5 weeks ago (Callaway ST Max) and so yeah... there's that. 

Anyone else play without a driver? 

Edited by Opoponax
Grammar

They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken. – Ray Floyd

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it is causing the much issued, then it could be a good idea to take it out of the bag until you learn how to hit the driver better. You could start a My Swing thread and post your driver swing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Decades ago, when dinosaurs roamed the land and driver heads were made from wood, I could not hit driver and used a 3-wood.  Eventually I decided I needed the distance that I could only get from a driver. I learned how to hit the driver consistently. 

You might leave the driver out of the bag while you get your game settled.  Still, you need to learn how to hit driver so don’t make a permanent change.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

@Opoponax If you can’t advance the ball safely due to the driver, then yea, take it out of the bag when playing.  However, keep it in the bag during practice sessions at the range, and don’t give up.  It provides too big of an advantage to give up on it all together.  Get with a teaching professional.

Another option to take the stress off of not playing well with it, play a practice round here and there.  Don’t keep score, don’t keep track of fairways hit… just try to hit shots.  Pull the driver out, practice hitting shots with it, don’t worry about your scores.

• Thumbs Up 2

I tried the three wood idea and it proved to be very successful on a calm summer's day. Sadly I gave up soon after when one day the weather turned and I was hitting tee shots into a gale.....felt woefully short. Of course a three wood with a tail wind is a solid plan.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks to everyone for the advice and shared experiences. I'm going to keep working on driver, but next weekend when I hopefully get to play, I'm leaving the driver at home. I'd do a practice round but I still have about 15 rounds to go before establishing an official handicap, so I'll keep scores. So my next post will probably be, "Should I just be doing practice rounds?" 

• Thumbs Up 1

They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken. – Ray Floyd

4 hours ago, Opoponax said:

I'd do a practice round but I still have about 15 rounds to go before establishing an official handicap

You only need 54 holes to establish a handicap. Or I guess it’s technically less than that because you only need 14 holes for an 18 hole round to be acceptable and 7 holes for a 9 hole round.

4 hours ago, Opoponax said:

So my next post will probably be, "Should I just be doing practice rounds?" 

I’m going to go with no 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 9/17/2022 at 7:22 PM, saevel25 said:

You could start a My Swing thread and post your driver swing. 

This is a good idea. ... check that... This is a VERY good idea. 

Plus, you can post a video of your trusty 7 wood swing. I think you may be surprised that there will be less difference than you think. I could be wrong, but I'm betting that its likely the 7 wood's loft is accounting for a lot of the differences in results. 

On 9/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, Opoponax said:

For me no NO NO NEVER! 

In my opinion life is simply better when you hit your driver well. 

On 9/17/2022 at 11:50 PM, SEMI_Duffer said:

But I'm stubborn that way :-)

Me too. Golf simply isn't as much fun playing without the driver... for me anyway. I have often had terrible days with the driver. But it never gets benched, because you never know when you are going to turn the corner and then "WHAM!" 

In all honesty, other than maybe hitting a hole in one, or if the cute drink cart girl flirts with you... which hasn't happened to me in a while... (Getting old sucks) is there anything better in golf than tattooing a drive right down the middle while your playing partners watch in amazement as your ball sails over where their ball came to rest.  ... Ah... Golf Euphoria. 😁

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 9/17/2022 at 4:14 PM, Opoponax said:

Driver is probably the one club in my bag that I would never drop, even though I struggle with it sometimes.

I have ditched my 3-wood recently, and carry a 19-degree hybrid and 20-degree utility iron.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I'm stubborn. I went from complaining and hitting only 14% of fairways with my driver - still able to score in the low 90s - and the last two weeks have hit 64% and 55% fairways with it. It's clubface to club path. It's always clubface to club path. And why is yours only going 230? I don't know. I can't answer that question. But chances are you're getting your money's worth out of the clubface. Don't worry. I do the same thing - sometimes I hit off the heel, sometimes off the toe, sometimes low on the face, sometimes a little high, and sometimes in the center. I'm getting better at hitting in the center. I know you bought your driver to hit bombs. 

What you might want to do is schedule a lesson with a pro in your area and have him look at your swing. If you like the guy and he helps you, you can always schedule a block of lessons. These usually work out the best. Driver is not an easy club to hit, but when you get it right, it's so nice to be closer to the hole. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The driver is the only club where you hit up on the ball.  Everything else you either hit down on the ball or possibly sweep.  Which is why driver is so difficult to hit right.  But the distance loss just isn't worth it.  You are better off taking lessons and practicing some on the range because the effort will see a remarkable difference in your golf game and scores.  You would rather be hitting a 9 iron into the green than a 6 or 7 for example.  Distance really is the biggest edge you can get

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I carry 2 drivers. One changes course to course, one replaced my 3 wood. It's a 12 degree Mizuno STX with a high launching shaft. Very forgiving, and I have to put some effort into working the ball. A higher lofted driver with ample backspin may be the answer to your driving woes...

AFter many years of playing I have concluded the driver is the most forgiving club, if you hit it right. My problem was a slice, no matter what I did. Until I saw this video about keeping the club head behind you.. Slice solved. Hope it helps.