IGNORED

Favorite Golf YouTube Channels?

Jeremie Boop

On 10/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, David L Yskes said:

Bryson's channel is pretty good, I really took a liking to his channel after i seen him on GoodGood's channel, and realized his personality is actually pretty cool..     I didn't know he wanted to vlog on the range at PGA events and they wouldn't allow it, which i think is a huge missed opportunity for the PGA..  

I looked more into this to get the answer as to why this is and it's pretty simple for now. LIV doesn't have a TV/Media Rights deal with anyone and so they need every avenue they can get to get their content out there. Bryson doing some that work for them is welcomed, for now.

The primary reason the PGA Tour restricts the content their players may want to post on social media is to remain in accordance with their TV contracts. This of course could potentially relax in the future, and from what I've read, it has changed a lot in the last ten years already, but it makes sense that those who paid for the right to air PGA Tour events would want to control content that they paid for. 

It remains to be seen if Bryson will be allowed to continue doing this were LIV to get a TV deal somewhere. 

Here's a source for where I'm getting this information. 

1645289058415.jpeg

Why Phil Mickelson's criticism about the PGA Tour's media rights is wrong.

• Informative 1

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve only been watching instruction videos on YouTube and rarely if that but if I do, AMG, Shauheen Nakhjavani, and Milo Lines. These days it’s mostly Instagram. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Spud Run Golf is a guy local to me who built a full par 3-4-5 golf hole at his house. Not a lot of content, but I enjoy it. It is mostly about maintaining the course and is definitely not instructional.

Edited by The Flush

War Eagle!

On 9/27/2022 at 4:57 PM, JetFan1983 said:

The Trent Breaking Series is their most entertaining content, even if it's super frustrating to watch Trent suck. Trent IMO is by far the most likeable member of the group though.

I agree with this. I’ve enjoyed this series. 

as for others, I like the Good Good golf. 

I use to watch more of the British trio… Mark, Pete, and Rick.

I do like AMG for golf swing stuff. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

Something I've noticed watching the Good Good videos, as well as Grant and Garrett's personal channels, is they mention "compressing" the golf ball a lot. It makes me eyeroll every time. Other than that I really enjoy watching them all. You see that even people who play as well as them still hit horrible shots, have bad rounds, and are still working on their game.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Something I've noticed watching the Good Good videos, as well as Grant and Garrett's personal channels, is they mention "compressing" the golf ball a lot. It makes me eyeroll every time.

Why's that?

I'm tempted to assume it's for the same reasons as me, but maybe you have a different reason. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Why's that?

I'm tempted to assume it's for the same reasons as me, but maybe you have a different reason. 😄

Because you can't compress the golf ball into the ground, just reinforces the old school mythology.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Because you can't compress the golf ball into the ground, just reinforces the old school mythology.

You can (very, very little) against the face, though, so I take it these days as them saying that.

(I prefer the word "deformed" because the ball doesn't get much denser against the face, it deforms, but I also accept that insisting on "deformed" is really pedantic.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can (very, very little) against the face, though, so I take it these days as them saying that.

(I prefer the word "deformed" because the ball doesn't get much denser against the face, it deforms, but I also accept that insisting on "deformed" is really pedantic.)

Sure, but they use it in relation to hitting down on the ball by playing it back in the stance as if they are using the ground to accomplish the task. I know it's a silly thing, which is why I roll my eyes and not comment about compressing the ball into the ground is not real :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

but I also accept that insisting on "deformed" is really pedantic.)

I remember somebody once accusing you of being pedantic. Then they stormed off in huff, never to return again. 

To your point. One of my best golf buddy's always uses the term "Get under it". I used to try to train him not to say that. He finally told me that he understands, but his miss is a top, so the visual helps him. I said fine, what ever works for you.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I remember somebody once accusing you of being pedantic. Then they stormed off in huff, never to return again.

He mis-used the word there, though.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

To your point. One of my best golf buddy's always uses the term "Get under it". I used to try to train him not to say that. He finally told me that he understands, but his miss is a top, so the visual helps him. I said fine, what ever works for you.

Ha, I just read that phrase here: https://impacteez.com. (It was in the email, may not be on the website.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned this one - Bryan Bros Golf. It's George and Wesley Bryan. They play all sorts of matches amongst themselves and some of their friends. Standard is some of the best I've found. Wesley is a PGA tour winner. George is a decent player himself, but not as good as Wesley clearly. I find it fascinating watching them play matches against each other. It really helped me to understand fractions of a shot better. Two players can walk off a hole having both made 4, but you can see that one of them has done it more sustainably than the other. Wesley hits it a bit further, a bit straighter, he chips better and he putts better. And over a 9 hole match, it shows up.

I also watch Good Good and gmgolf. I watch Grant's channel a little bit, but not as much as the others. The other one I like is Bobdoessports. Fat Perez is a legend. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to suggest that since YouTube started adding YouTube shorts there is now a better chance you will ruin your swing than improve your swing if you use Youtube (especially shorts) as a way of finding tips or advice to get better at golf. 

I'm not the greatest golfer in the world nor am I qualified to teach golf. But some of the shorts I see that are offering "Swing tips". Especially the ones that say something like do this one thing and it will fix your ballstriking forever or words to that effect are just crap. I avoid them like the plague and instead seek out entertaining course VLOGs. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I've watched Rick Shiels (really like following his Breaking 75 vlogs, he does not edit out the fails so it stays as real as YouTube can get), love Peter Finch and Matt Fryer as they seem pretty straight up.  Mark Crossfield I've watched (love when he does comparisons of new to old technology).  Danny Maude I happened upon and still catch his weekly "drill".  For the most part, I know the channels have to "grind out" videos to keep traffic up as that is part of their pay.  Some of the best golf YouTube are the videos that the members here have posted. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 9/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, JetFan1983 said:

I tend to agree this is his best content yea. And yea, I also liked the earlier content he did with Skratch. I felt it kind of had a cool Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations vibe which I enjoyed.

On another forum, Constantine, you're being questioned about this take…

This absolutely is the most infuriating EAL thing I’ve ever seen. Anthony Bourdain was an actual artist. Someone with passion and genuine intrigue for the world. EAL is just a leech who found a susceptible audience in a marketplace of people who, by the nature of the game, are accustomed to disappointment because golf is hard. His flippant attitude about how none of it matters is just a way of normalizing laziness. If no one wins, no one loses. And I’m all for anyone playing golf as a sheer past time and not really feeling a need to improve, believe me, I need to practice more. But EAL is hanging his entire existence on not giving a f***, when it’s really just an elaborate distraction to take people’s money. Anthony Bourdain definitely gave a f***, and he sought out excellence in its natural and cultural forms without making anything all about himself. God this pisses me off.

Yeah, if these people actually exist, I’d like to ask them what EAL and Bourdain have in common. Yes, they travel and try to show some local flavor. And … (checks notes furiously) that is it.

Do you care to respond?

😄

• Funny 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:54 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Just curious what everyone enjoys watching as far as golf youtube channels. Used to be I was a Rick Shiels, Peter Finch, Mark Crossfield watcher. These days it's more just Rick and now Good Good (as well as a few of the individual members of). I haven't really looked for any other channels intentionally, only found Good Good through their meet up with Shiels and the hole in one par 4 viral video. I don't necessarily care much for golf instruction/lesson style channels anymore. Mostly just like to watch course vlogs/friendly competition style videos these days.

I watch Rick Shiels from time to time and enjoy it. For pure time spent - and this is very geezerly I suppose - I watch Conrad Nagel's channel more than any other. He posts final rounds of major championships from past years...like really old ones (1980 US Open final round was probably the last one I looked at). I watch the Masters channel alot. I like Athletic Motion Golf, Dr. Kwon's channel, and BeBetterGolf as well. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

On another forum, Constantine, you're being questioned about this take…

Do you care to respond?

😄

LOL, oh boy. 😆

It was recently revealed in text messages to his x-wife that Anthony Bourdain hated his fans.

I can see why! 😄

As for Erik Anders Lang, I never got the impression he promoted laziness. Creating and uploading content takes a lot of work and he always came off as a workaholic to me. He has videos working on his game with Dana Dahlquist which is pretty cool and wise. He tries to grow the game in his own small way, and some people click with that. He's running an apparel business and making free golf content. He tries to be inclusive. He's certainly not for everyone, nor is he undeserving of criticism either. Admittedly, I find myself heckling the screen as much as I am entertained by his travels or whatever. 

As per the second quote, what do EAL and Bourdain have in common? I dunno, they're both TV hosts who try to bring a pensive flair to their voiceovers. Bourdain described his role on television as a vessel within which he shovels food (a modified George Orwell quote) so I'm sure one could describe EAL in similar dark tones, except what's being shoveled here is golf. They're both trying to show us different cultures or subcultures, Bourdain through food perhaps, EAL through golf. Bourdain was a drug addict and alcoholic and EAL has been sober for many years but struggles with similar issues. 

I certainly wasn't saying EAL was as good or entertaining as Bourdain, just that I got a similar vibe, that Adventures in Golf wouldn't exist if it wasn't for stuff like No Reservations kind of showing us the way. And even if Adventures in Golf could be called a cheap knock off of sorts, I still enjoyed most of the episodes. 

Anyway, I'm legitimately sorry for making you angry with my EAL/Bourdain take, Anonymous Internet People, wherever you are.  🙂 Hopefully you can accept my musings on this matter with a touch of humor and forgiveness Anthony Bourdain would've raised his glass to 🍻

Constantine