IGNORED

2023 Ryder Cup

jmanbooyaa

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I don’t have a problem with Cantlay and others believing this. The PGA makes a lot of money off it, and it’s (at least partly) because of the players. I know the players get donations to their charities, but I can see feeling like your labor deserves more. 

That said, if Cantlay is dividing the team room about this, f*** him. The way to handle it is to do it ahead of time or not play at all. Sabotaging the Ryder Cup because of it is not okay. 

I don’t think it’s unpopular at all. As you say the PGA Tour gets really rich off this event, why not share it with the players. It is billed as an exhibition but players should get something. I’d vote to pay them based on whether they were on the winning team and their record in the event. A nice motivation for winning. If you go 0-4-0 and your on the losing team they don’t pay you much. 

I think it is fair to say he should decline the invitation but he might feel the only way to change it is by protesting at the event. To be fair it is a minor protest to not wear a hat. It’s not like he’s kneeling during the national anthem or anything. 

The truth is probably somewhere in between. He might want to be paid and it might be he didn’t like how the hat sat on his head and it was distracting him and there was no protest. 

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now Rory is getting into it with someone, (Joe LaCava off camera?), in the parking lot.  Bones and Lowry trying to keep the peace.  HatGate has legs.  Rory was legit heated at something.  Hard to believe it was the 30 seconds of caddie hat waving.  This scoreline is going to rob us of a potentially epic day tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

It’s not like he’s kneeling during the national anthem or anything.

Let's NOT go there. 🤣

Anyway, all this was much ado about nothing. After the match, which he won, he said the hat didn't fit well. He does seem to have a big head so....

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

After the match, which he won, he said the hat didn't fit well. He does seem to have a big head so....

The very first thought I had on Friday when I flipped on the TV was, "Those hats are terrible."  They actually looked cheap.  I don't know who made them, and its hard to see them skimping on hats, but they had a weird shape in the front. I could absolutely see one of them getting the hat and saying "no thanks."  They looked liked $8.99 gas station hats.  

• Administrator
7 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Johnson debunked illness before 2nd round. Has to be something. 

Not sure what this means but he talked about it and said the entire team was sick after the first day.

Rickie is the sickest of the bunch.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hopefully USA gets to an early lead. I want things to be close. Doesn’t matter too much to me who wins. 

I have no time (and haven’t watched any Ryder Cup yet, unfortunately) but I’d really like to watch the Rahm/Scheffler match. 

I’m expecting Hovland and McIlroy to win. Hopefully Cantlay does something. I like Homa, Harman, Koepka and Thomas. No clue about the rest. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

55K likes, 1,674 comments - ziregolf on September 30, 2023: "Rory just got in a...

Instagram video of Rory heated at Bones. 

22K likes, 1,499 comments - ziregolf on September 30, 2023: "Thoughts? (Via...

And I believe the incident. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Tomorrow is going to have some bite to it. Largest come back 2012. Euros accomplished this. Came back from 4. Team USA has a fire right now. Tomorrow should be solid. I am ok with Rory and Bones getting into it. Ryder Cup baby. Be upset be all in. This was missing from Friday. Let’s go. USA USA. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Tomorrow is going to have some bite to it. Largest come back 2012. Euros accomplished this. Came back from 4. Team USA has a fire right now. Tomorrow should be solid. I am ok with Rory and Bones getting into it. Ryder Cup baby. Be upset be all in. This was missing from Friday. Let’s go. USA USA. 

U.S. deficit was also 4 in 1999 at Brookline.

I also think Rory was yelling at someone past Bones.

I heard it stemmed from La Cava getting near where Rory was walking for his putt to tie the 18th (on the other side of the hole from where Rory would putt from, so not in his line). Heaven forbid you celebrate a little, Rory. From what I've heard, Rory was in the wrong there, especially after all the shit Cantlay took all day about his hat.

I reserve the right to change my mind given more information.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think Rory may have overreacted a bit.  Depending on what someone said because he definitely looks to be reacting to something someone said off camera.  But that last angle they showed on 'Live From' doesn't make LaCava look good either.  He's not in Rory's line but he's definitely in his space as Rory is trying to get into his routine.  And when Rory shoo's him away, he lingers and says something to either Rory or someone just past Rory, as Rory is crouched down reading the putt. Then he waves his hand at Rory who's in his routine fully at that point.  Rory could have given it a couple seconds to quiet down as well.  Neither had a great moment, but they are reacting in real time to huge emotional moments.  Tough to get on anyone too hard for that.  Hopefully makes for great sporting tomorrow and a comeback for the ages.  

26 minutes ago, colinw899 said:

I think Rory may have overreacted a bit.  Depending on what someone said because he definitely looks to be reacting to something someone said off camera.  But that last angle they showed on 'Live From' doesn't make LaCava look good either.  He's not in Rory's line but he's definitely in his space as Rory is trying to get into his routine.  And when Rory shoo's him away, he lingers and says something to either Rory or someone just past Rory, as Rory is crouched down reading the putt. Then he waves his hand at Rory who's in his routine fully at that point.  Rory could have given it a couple seconds to quiet down as well.  Neither had a great moment, but they are reacting in real time to huge emotional moments.  Tough to get on anyone too hard for that.  Hopefully makes for great sporting tomorrow and a comeback for the ages.  

Based on the video I posted and my thoughts, I think Rory is ok. A caddy is a caddy at the end of the day, imo. Stay out of the way. Ryder Cup or not, you shouldn’t be anywhere close to competitors when potentially interfering in their play. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator
1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Based on the video I posted and my thoughts, I think Rory is ok. A caddy is a caddy at the end of the day, imo. Stay out of the way. Ryder Cup or not, you shouldn’t be anywhere close to competitors when potentially interfering in their play. 

Then tell Lowry to stop going on the greens of matches in which he's not even playing, often while Americans had to wait for him to stop getting the fans riled up. For a group that still bring up the Brookline stampede (which wasn't even over Ollie's line), they act pretty boorish sometimes as well.

This is what I got from elsewhere:

Patrick Cantlay birdied the final three holes, sinking a 43-foot putt on 18 to give him and Wyndham Clark a 1-up win in the match over McIlroy and Matthew Fitpatrick. However, it was the celebration of the putt by Joe LaCava, Cantlay's caddy, that started a wild chain of events which carried over into the players' parking lot.

After Cantlay's make, LaCava removed his cap and waved it at the crowd to tease the European fans who had mocked Cantlay by waving their caps at him all day following an erroneous rumor that Cantlay was not wearing a hat in an alleged protest over U.S. team players were not being paid.

Despite Cantlay's heroics, McIlroy still had a putt to tie the hole. As he celebrated, LaCava was in McIlroy's way to read the putt and he asked him to move. Footage shows LaCava moving away but then stepping back to say something to McIlroy. According to LaCava, he said, "We're getting our butt kicked, so I'm going to celebrate." Following the exchange, LaCava got into a brief verbal spat with Euro team members Shane Lowry and Justin Rose.

McIlroy and Fitzpatrick missed their putts to tie the hole and as the teams and caddies shook hands McIlroy and LaCava appeared to have a pleasant exchange and all seemed resolved. However, a short time later in the players' lot, McIlroy was caught on video screaming at someone offscreen, "This can't happen. This can't happen. It's a f**ing disgrace," while Lowry got between him and eventually moved McIlroy into a vehicle to leave the course. Justin Thomas' caddie, Jim Mackay, is seen in the footage, but does not appear to be the target of McIlroy's ire. 

European captain Luke Donald said he has heard of the parking-lot incident and would discuss the situation with McIlroy, saying " ... we have to make sure we're handling things the right way." U.S. captain Zach Johnson said to his understanding the matter had been resolved.

Sounds like Rory might have over-reacted, still, to me.

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

Then tell Lowry to stop going on the greens of matches in which he's not even playing, often while Americans had to wait for him to stop getting the fans riled up. For a group that still bring up the Brookline stampede (which wasn't even over Ollie's line), they act pretty boorish sometimes as well.

Lowry isn’t a caddy, he’s a player. It’s different. Maybe it shouldn’t be, but it is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator
Just now, phillyk said:

Lowry isn’t a caddy, he’s a player. It’s different. Maybe it shouldn’t be, but it is. 

A player not in the match at hand. La Cava is on that stage with the player. La Cava has more standing than Lowry in that situation by far.

• Booooooooo 1

Bring on the singles ...hope the EURO boys crush the yanks .. make it a record win ... great turn around from the last RC ... many on here talking of little hope for team EURO going forward ..oh how times have changed

Go Foxy Go

• Administrator
5 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

Bring on the singles ...hope the EURO boys crush the yanks .. make it a record win ... great turn around from the last RC ... many on here talking of little hope for team EURO going forward ..oh how times have changed

Hmmmmmm, no.

It’s become heavily home game oriented.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, 6 singles have started and Europe is up in 5 and USA in 1.  

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball