IGNORED

2023 Masters

DaveP043

2 hours ago, StuM said:

Stats do not lie.....Phil was better SG Putting but John was better SG Off the Tee.  Goes to show "Drive for show, putt for dough" is flat out wrong.

It's definitely wrong yea, for several reasons, though occasionally, it is true.

I tend to think that it's all important, where all four primary areas measured of strokes gained have incredible importance to how well you play a round of golf, and if you're deficient in any one area, that's an opportunity to make up ground.

Brooks was terrible with his short game in the final round for example, and break even everywhere else.

image.png

Final round strokes gained data for the top ten.

Also consider Rory's week, where he was 2nd in strokes gained off-the-tee, but was bad everywhere else and thus missed the cut. Kevin Kisner meanwhile led the field for the week in both strokes gained putting and strokes gained around the greens, but he too missed the cut (shockingly, Kisner was worse off the tee than Larry Mize! Yikes).

Going further back in time, consider how Cam Smith won the Open, against Rory no less (Rory led the field in strokes gained off the tee that week).

image.png

Some of this has to do with how St. Andrews is designed, but this could be argued as an example of putting for dough beating driving for show as Cam led the field in strokes gained putting but did just enough with the rest of his game to win it. He essentially broke even everywhere else, but it seemed every putt he looked at for that four day span found the bottom of the cup.

I still think "drive for show, putt for dough" is a flawed motto though. Cam Smith worked incredibly hard (on GEARS) to fix his driver. Getting himself to break even off the tee was enormous for him that week of the Open. Prior to his win, he was something like 160th on tour in total driving. Just terrible stuff. 

• Informative 2

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama

Despite an Easter Sunday finish and Saturday's mess, the 2023 Masters scores impressive ratings. Plus, a notes on CBS's added production touches.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Meanwhile, the CW was lighting up homes with We The People and The Steve Wilkos Show.

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Meanwhile, the CW was lighting up homes with We The People and The Steve Wilkos Show.

They do have Penn and Teller Fool Us, which is a fav of mine.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just reflecting a bit this morning on the great weekend.. I'm still so grateful to Rahm for saving us from the white walkers of LIV. My palms were sweaty for a moment there.

Having said that, it seems that Koepka has picked up a couple of fans. Not sure how he broke a them but some I thought his post interview was not bad. He is still in the doghouse in my book but if I am honest the edge ain't cutting old leather as well as it did say, a week ago. I'm a bit conflicted..🙂

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Funny 1

Vishal S.

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Having said that, it seems that Koepka has picked up a couple of fans.

I think he showed humility for the first time.

Scott

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I watched his press conference and for the first time didn’t think he was an ass. Short but to the point answers. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

But also lied yet again, putting him back in the same place or worse for me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

But also lied yet again, putting him back in the same place or worse for me.

He did? What about? 

Vishal S.

Just now, GolfLug said:

He did? What about? 

The caddy advice incident in the first round. They had it in video they still denied it. Got away with it too. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

The caddy advice incident in the first round. They had it in video they still denied it. Got away with it too. 

Oh yah, that is true, I did forget about it!!

It seemed blatant to me. I was having this mid-round discussion with others last Sunday and we all agreed that there was nothing else 'five' could mean except 'five iron' in that moment. 

Ok, so he loses a new set of points for being a standard issue cheat. P-Reed should be talking to him about pros and cons of living in a sand castle vs a glass house. 😂 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Funny 2

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Just reflecting a bit this morning on the great weekend.. I'm still so grateful to Rahm for saving us from the white walkers of LIV. My palms were sweaty for a moment there.

Having said that, it seems that Koepka has picked up a couple of fans. Not sure how he broke a them but some I thought his post interview was not bad. He is still in the doghouse in my book but if I am honest the edge ain't cutting old leather as well as it did say, a week ago. I'm a bit conflicted..🙂

I thought his post interview was just him blaming people - in particular slow players.  I hate slow play, but it is endemic in professional golf.  It didn't keep Rahm from shooting a nifty 69 despite the slow play.  

• Thumbs Up 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

He did? What about? 

Answered by others but this is like the 10th very obvious lie he’s told.

Was listening to the Masters NLU podcast and they were talking about Rory's 'failure' at the Masters. While I agree it was a bust but it is one week. One.........week..... They even said it is 100% mental at this point... Really??

I don't think it makes any sense. Rory does not have separation from rest of the top players like Tiger did at his prime. Far too much is made of the inevitability of his coronation at the Masters. While I agree that he would be a top contender almost every year it seems people who are assigning vague reasons like mental block etc, are discounting how many factors come together for someone to win the Masters or any major for that matter. Lot of which a player has no control over, including other players and a few bounces in the wrong/right direction.

I would think his time will come but to call every outing at the Masters he doesn't win a 'mental failure' is absurd.    

Vishal S.

On 4/13/2023 at 7:29 AM, boogielicious said:

exactly - I felt the same way

On 4/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, boogielicious said:

Exactly - i wish they’d have issued the penalty 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 hours ago, guitarget said:

1.8 billion pixel image of Jon Rahm's win:

h_GigapixelPreview_1228_SS_AugustaMaster

Explore Rahm's winning moment in 1.8 billion pixels

That's really cool, thanks! Imagine being one of those people in the audience, it'd be so fun to look for yourself. It's like a Masters Where's Waldo. Great stuff. Man, I gotta win the Masters lottery one of these years!

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Like 1

Constantine