IGNORED

Do You Remember Your First Graphite Shafted Driver?

Little nostalgia for everyone. The first one I had I bought was at Ramstein AFB when I was in the Army in Germany.  It look ridiculous with a gigantic head. I had a metal wood with a steel shaft, we saw this thing and we all bought one. I think it was like 50 bucks. I don't remember the brand. It was like a buggy whip. I don't think I ever got a straight hit off of it.  This would have been late '92 time frame. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Do You Remember Your First Graphite Shafted Driver?
  • Administrator

Well, my Titleist PT was my first non-wood driver. I think… after that, it was a 905, perhaps? 905S? The TaylorMade r5 was before that, so probably that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Titleist 975D with that EI 70 golf shaft. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I literally started hitting the ball regularly in 2017.  First driver purchase was Taylor Made R580 in regular flex.  Still like the “compact” 400cc head as opposed to the 460cc heads of today.  Still have it, still hit it on occasion.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I still have the set of Spalding woods I purchased.  Driver, 3W and 5W.  Got it cheap because I needed them with my previous woods being old, steel shafted and not really suited to my swing.  The 5 was the best of the lot.  The 3 kinda worked from the fairway with good lies.  The driver rarely worked since I couldn't really swing it the smooth way I needed to.  A lot of times I would hit fades/slices.  Fortunately I replaced it with a Cleveland HiBore a couple of years later and never looked back 

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

It was probably the TaylorMade I got to replace my first metal driver a workmate made for me. I can’t even recall the model. It was very whippy. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ben Hogan metal #1 with the Ben Hogan script across the crown. I still have it somewhere. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Remember? Still have it.

Golfsmith with Aldila graphic shaft. Put in together myself back in the mid to late 80's I believe.

20230531_150632_a.jpg.a217d902decc92350d9e0e5c693b1c4a.jpg

Compared to my current Driver.

20230531_151224.thumb.jpg.0051a08ea82bd8b95a3a2f7a4f416cd6.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Before graphite, the hot new shaft was the titanium TiShaft. Several pros put it into play, including Davis Love at the time. And back in the 60's, there was the fiberglass WonderShaft made by the Shakespeare fishing rod company. Gary Player promoted the WonderShaft, although he actually used steel shafts painted black to fool the public. I really wanted one of those sets back in the day. The oldest graphite shafted driver I still own is a MacGreagor with the weird combination of persimmon head, metal face insert, and graphite shaft. Pretty rare. 

• 4 weeks later...

My first graphite shafted driver was my first driver... a Callaway Great Big Bertha.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

On 5/29/2023 at 1:47 PM, saevel25 said:

Titleist 975D with that EI 70 golf shaft. 

I was late to the game for graphite shafts. My 975D still had a DG300 shaft back in the day.

My first foray into a graphite shafted driver was with the TM R510TP that had a Rapport Prowound 70 shaft. 

• 8 months later...

Some time in the early 1990’s, a Daiwa Exceler. Graphite shaft and head. The head was standard size for the time.

Brian Kuehn