IGNORED

Does Your Handicap System Shut Down During the Winter?

wacker

My golf club in the UK recently shut down the system for the winter months. This means scores can not be entered until winter conditions are out of the way, temporary greens aren't in use, and the the winter mats are removed. I agree with this as handicaps tend to go up. We are however expected to tell the handicap secretary if we have an exceptional round so she can cut us. In fact, I just negotiated a one shot penalty, although the secretary wanted to cut me two shots. Of course, if I come in ten shots over I can't have shots back, which in my opinion makes a farce of the entire system. 

How do you do things at your club?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We don’t have winter here.😃

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My home club in India doesn't have winter as you guys do.  At most it is cold that we need a sweater.  What we have is a monsoon when playing is difficult since the course is really waterlogged and we have balls plugging.  But we don't shut down during that period though very few people play

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Yes, we flush out the whole system and close the main supply pump from the lake. We did that a couple weeks ago. Most courses around here will do that. We may play year round golf, though, because we get all our annual rain between October and May. We don’t lack for water if the grass were to grow a little. Our non-posting season is Nov 15 to end of February. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

In areas of the country with "winter" weather, you aren't allowed to post. (You can post if you play a round in another area that is in an active posting season.)

https://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/handicap-active-and-inactive-season-schedule-25489.html

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In Argentina we play all year long. More or less clothes. Of course, index goes up on winter and up on summer. 

My home club will remain open year round, although we will usually get a couple of pretty light snowfalls.  I don't have real data, but my estimate is that the course is only closed to play for less than two weeks a year, on average.  In  Virginia we have handicap posting year-round, but just over the border in Maryland they don't post scores between December 1 and March 14.  I'm not crazy about cold-weather golf, so I don't play much through the December to February months.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My course switches to temporary greens and walking only in the winter, when that starts/ends depends on weather but usually its for all of December and Jan and then some days/weeks in Nov/Feb, basically whenever the ground is frozen.

The temporary greens are just a big circle spray painted in the fairway short of the actual green. They're maybe cut a touch shorter than the fairway but still pretty long. Mainly just gives something to aim for while getting some exercise and taking a few swings. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On 11/6/2023 at 6:49 PM, DaveP043 said:

My home club will remain open year round, although we will usually get a couple of pretty light snowfalls.  I don't have real data, but my estimate is that the course is only closed to play for less than two weeks a year, on average.  In  Virginia we have handicap posting year-round, but just over the border in Maryland they don't post scores between December 1 and March 14.  I'm not crazy about cold-weather golf, so I don't play much through the December to February months.

You misunderstood. The question is "do you close down computer entry system for handicaps"?

On 11/6/2023 at 9:59 PM, klineka said:

My course switches to temporary greens and walking only in the winter, when that starts/ends depends on weather but usually its for all of December and Jan and then some days/weeks in Nov/Feb, basically whenever the ground is frozen.

The temporary greens are just a big circle spray painted in the fairway short of the actual green. They're maybe cut a touch shorter than the fairway but still pretty long. Mainly just gives something to aim for while getting some exercise and taking a few swings. 

You misunderstood. The question is "do you close down computer entry system for handicaps"?

18 minutes ago, wacker said:

This varies by region, I am in Michigan, US and posting rounds for handicap is only April 1 - Oct 31.  They do not actually shut the web site down, just rounds are not accepted for HCP “Out of season”.

This link is for the USA but I suspect the UK has a similar list available.

https://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/handicap-active-and-inactive-season-schedule-25489.html

Edited by StuM

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

19 minutes ago, wacker said:

I answered that too, in my area we post scores for handicap all year round.  We can do it on the computer in the pro shop, on a home computer, or on an app on our phone.  And as others have said, we're required to post scores if we play someplace where where posting season is in effect, perhaps a vacation to Florida or Arizona, so the handicap computer never really shuts down.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, StuM said:

This varies by region, I am in Michigan, US and posting rounds for handicap is only April 1 - Oct 31.  They do not actually shut the web site down, just rounds are not accepted for HCP “Out of season”.

This link is for the USA but I suspect the UK has a similar list available.

Yes, it's a club by club thing. It isn't just the computer in the clubhouse, we are unable to enter scores using the app as well. My point from the start was that we are expected to inform the handicap secretary of any outstanding scored so she can reduce our handicap, but NOT inform her of any particularly poor scores. It makes no sense to me 

3 hours ago, wacker said:

we are expected to inform the handicap secretary of any outstanding scored so she can reduce our handicap, but NOT inform her of any particularly poor scores. It makes no sense to me 

That makes no sense to me.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

9 hours ago, wacker said:

Yes, it's a club by club thing. It isn't just the computer in the clubhouse, we are unable to enter scores using the app as well. My point from the start was that we are expected to inform the handicap secretary of any outstanding scored so she can reduce our handicap, but NOT inform her of any particularly poor scores. It makes no sense to me 

I'd ask them for a reference for that "expectation".  

A score when the course is not in its active season is not acceptable for handicap purposes, according to the R&A, Rules of Handicapping, rule 2.1. Not only should you not be "expected" to report it, it is incorrect to report it. So I would want to know what rule the handicap secretary is using to negate rule 2.1.

The R&A seeks to engage in and support activities for the benefit of the sport of golf from The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Here in Canada we are basically done

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

On 11/5/2023 at 4:36 PM, iacas said:

In areas of the country with "winter" weather, you aren't allowed to post. (You can post if you play a round in another area that is in an active posting season.)

I believe where I am in Ohio, we can post until November 30th. It's a little confusing as Northern Ohio is until October 31st, Southern Ohio is until November 30th. I'm kind of in the middle. 

But either way, I don't get a lot of rounds in after the end of October. I did shoot a solid score last week which would have helped my handicap, but I played alone so that one doesn't count anyway. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• iacas changed the title to Does Your Handicap System Shut Down During the Winter?