IGNORED

How far do you hit your irons?

drs6222
Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As some others have noted, I LOVE all the 10+ handicappers that hit 200 yd 5 irons. They must hit them way far from straight or have the worst short games in the world. Not too long ago there was a study of varied handicappers. They were asked how far they drive the ball. Without fail they overestimated (when measured) by about 40-50 yards. The single handicappers were more accurate. The problem is that everyone remembers that one they bombed and got the bounce off the sprinkler head. All of a sudden they can drive 300 yards. I know some guys that hit long and still manage to be higher handicaps, but they have poor short games or are not accurate. Generally, I play with guys that spout off about their 250+ average drives (I average 215-220) and somehow we end up playing from the same general area. Hmmm.... I'll take my short, semi-accurate game for now. Distance will probably come as my ball striking improves, but all I care about is the score on the card. You can hit your 5 iron from 180 out (and end up short or spray it), I'll take my hybrid on the green.

Lmao why are you getting upset?? I don't see what benefit people would gain from lying on a forum.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3H  190

4H  180

5i    170

6i    160

7i    150

8i    140

9i    130

PW 120

Other Wedges--No Telling, I tend to either Chili Dip or Skull them...

PW-110 9i-125 8i-140 7i-150 6i-160 5h-170 4h-185 3h-200

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I don't have a gap wedge because I have just a starter set from Top Flite, but I still have a Sand and Pitching Wedge

SW: 80-100

PW: 120-140

9i: 141-155

8i: 156-170ish

7i: 171-190

6i: 191-205

5H: 210-225

4H: 230-240

3H 245-255

I know these numbers might seem unreasonable, but for just starting out I have been told I have a pretty powerful swing. The club member I got paired up with today word for word said "Man, when you hit the ball, you frickin' hit the damned thing."

Damn, I', feeling inadequate

I hit my 5 iron about 135 yards

Been using an online app to calculate my HC-currently 22.7

A bogey round is a great round for me

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Damn, I', feeling inadequate

I hit my 5 iron about 135 yards

Been using an online app to calculate my HC-currently 22.7

A bogey round is a great round for me

Some of this is because you are on a site with many good players, and some of this is just internet yards too, so don't feel too bad. :-$

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Damn, I', feeling inadequate I hit my 5 iron about 135 yards Been using an online app to calculate my HC-currently 22.7 A bogey round is a great round for me

Loose the 5 iron, start using hybrids or a 11/9 wood.

I too am skeptical of the distance posted by some in this thread.

My first true distance reality check came at Firestone CC years ago.  Great drive off the first tee, sitting just inside the 150 yard maker to middle of green.  Pull 7-iron and smoke it.  Ball comes up short by about 10 yards.  Best guess is that I hit it 135.  Host of our group (member at Firestone) says, "the yardages markers are painfully accurate here; might want to take one more club on your approach shots."

Since owning a Bushnell range finder for two seasons, I've been able to dial in my yardages with a good deal of accuracy. Firestone has a public course with a great range that has 7 target greens of varying distances.  After hitting hundreds of balls to targets of 'known distance' I know exactly how far a well-struck ball with any club travels and rolls out.  I also know how far mishits, thins, blades and fat shots go.  Now, I base yardage and club selection on 80-90% of well-struck shot.

Honest to Betsy, 'you can count on it' yardages for my clubs on decently-struck shots are:

58* wedge - 70-80

54* wedge - 85-90
GW (50*) - 95

PW (45*) 100-105

9i - 110-115

8i - 120-125

7i - 130-140

6i - 145-155

5 hybrid 160-165

4-hydrid 170-175 with near-perfect contact.

As example, yesterday I hit an 8i to a short pin into a slight breeze from 130.  The pin was only a few paces onto the green, it's been hot and dry lately and thought I could sneak it up and on from 130.  Ball landed right in my normal distance range for an 8-iron leaving me a 7-8 yard pitch up a slight grade and onto the green.

We hit 'em as far as we hit 'em.  And not many of us hit 150 yard 9 irons if we're honest with ourselves and want to put some science (a range finder to an actual target of known distance) behind our iron distances.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I don't have a gap wedge because I have just a starter set from Top Flite, but I still have a Sand and Pitching Wedge

3H 245-255

I know these numbers might seem unreasonable, but for just starting out I have been told I have a pretty powerful swing. The club member I got paired up with today word for word said "Man, when you hit the ball, you frickin' hit the damned thing."

Are these true averages or distances you reach when you hit it well?

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBennettGolf

3H 245-255

Are these true averages or distances you reach when you hit it well?

Guessing his "you can count on it yardages" are in the middle of some distribution of decent shots (ones that are not seriously mishit?).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I too am skeptical of the distance posted by some in this thread.

My first true distance reality check came at Firestone CC years ago.  Great drive off the first tee, sitting just inside the 150 yard maker to middle of green.  Pull 7-iron and smoke it.  Ball comes up short by about 10 yards.  Best guess is that I hit it 135.  Host of our group (member at Firestone) says, "the yardages markers are painfully accurate here; might want to take one more club on your approach shots."

Since owning a Bushnell range finder for two seasons, I've been able to dial in my yardages with a good deal of accuracy. Firestone has a public course with a great range that has 7 target greens of varying distances.  After hitting hundreds of balls to targets of 'known distance' I know exactly how far a well-struck ball with any club travels and rolls out.  I also know how far mishits, thins, blades and fat shots go.  Now, I base yardage and club selection on 80-90% of well-struck shot.

Honest to Betsy, 'you can count on it' yardages for my clubs on decently-struck shots are:

58* wedge - 70-80

54* wedge - 85-90

GW (50*) - 95

PW (45*) 100-105

9i - 110-115

8i - 120-125

7i - 130-140

6i - 145-155

5 hybrid 160-165

4-hydrid 170-175 with near-perfect contact.

As example, yesterday I hit an 8i to a short pin into a slight breeze from 130.  The pin was only a few paces onto the green, it's been hot and dry lately and thought I could sneak it up and on from 130.  Ball landed right in my normal distance range for an 8-iron leaving me a 7-8 yard pitch up a slight grade and onto the green.

We hit 'em as far as we hit 'em.  And not many of us hit 150 yard 9 irons if we're honest with ourselves and want to put some science (a range finder to an actual target of known distance) behind our iron distances.

dave

I tend to know what my lower irons/wedges will go for distance because I use them much more often than I do my mid-high irons.

60*= around 90 yards *though I've been trying to not use it on full swings*

56*= 100-105

50*= 125ish

PW *45*= 140s

9= 150s

8=160s

natural progression dictates what I guess my higher irons will go

7=170s

6=180s *this is actually accurate based on flightscope numbers from my iron fitting*

5-190s

4-200

I try to play on the conservative side whenever possible as short is typically safe and long is typically bad, so if I need to hit something for 200 to center I'll play 5 iron and plan for it to land short and roll. My numbers are based off using gps measurements prior to hitting shots and game golf records. These are numbers I expect to get from good strikes, not perfect shots. If there is trouble short and not long I'll typically err on the side of using a longer club, but if there is trouble both long and short I'll just use whatever club that distance calls for.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Been a while since I've been on a LM but it would be close to this (carry distance). Reality is my best to worst shots vary quite a bit. I can hit a 6 iron 100 or 200 just never know which is going to happen and when.

58    90

54    100

50    110

PW  120

9      130

8      140

7      150

6      160

5      170

4      180

Dave :-)

My current iron yardages

4 Iron (23°) = 220

5 Iron (27°) = 210

6 Iron (30°) = 200

7 Iron (34°) = 187

8 Iron (38°) = 175

9 Iron (42°) = 162

PW (46°) = 150

52 deg = 135

56 deg = 123

60 deg = 110

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!