IGNORED

Longest Iron in Bag... And More

18 members have voted

1. 1. What irons (not companies) do you carry (not hybrid in your bag)

• 1-iron
    • 2-iron
    • 3-iron
    • 4-iron
    • 5-iron
    • 6-iron
    • 7-iron
    • 8-iron
    • 9-iron
    • Pitching wedge

Oh well, I'm on the wrong side of the peak. Seems more people can hit their 5i. I need to work on this club more too.

I answered 6i even though I am only semi-marginally able to hit it. I get a variation of 15 yards in distance from a decent strike to a mediocre one not counting thin shots.

7i is more reasonable, but aiming can be an issue sometimes. GIR is iffy.

8i is the longest club I can comfortably hit. If I am an 8i away from the hole or less, I have almost a 30% chance of GIR.

My 5i and 4i are only useful off a tee for 185 to 195 yard par 3s, any longer than that and I use my two hybrids (much higher and nicer flight). Even for this length, I might choke up on my 4H.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
3I. I have a ping 2 iron that I liked and was tempted to answer 2 iron, but it hasn't been in my bag for so long I had to go with the three iron I still carry.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I said 3i, my longest iron, cause I have days where it's my favorite tee club and I feel confident going for par 5s in two or long par 3s with it.  Of course, I'm not claiming I'm as consistently good with it as, say, my 6i, but if I were to answer 6i, I might as well answer PW, cause I'm consistently better with that than, say, my 7i or even 8i.  But I figured that's not the point of the question :-)

I've never found a huge advantage in hybrids.  My 19˚ hybrid probably only averages 8 yards farther than my 20˚ 3i, and I alternate which I use as my safe tee club cause I alternate which I'm hitting better on a given day.  Given that, my dream set has evolved over the years to run 18˚ 2i through 48˚ PW, with driver, 3w, 54˚ SW and 60˚ LW rounding out the bag.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I voted 3 iron ... however, the longest in my bag now is a 4 iron.  The reason I voted 3 iron, though, is that I remember when I did have my old set, which included a 2 iron as well, I frequently hesitated to hit the 2-iron when it was called for and skipped over it in favor of the trusty 3 iron.

I'd love to demo a G30 3 iron though to see how it compares to my hybrid (which I don't use all that much still)

I voted 3 iron ... however, the longest in my bag now is a 4 iron.  The reason I voted 3 iron, though, is that I remember when I did have my old set, which included a 2 iron as well, I frequently hesitated to hit the 2-iron when it was called for and skipped over it in favor of the trusty 3 iron.

I'd love to demo a G30 3 iron though to see how it compares to my hybrid (which I don't use all that much still)

So you're saying I shouldn't extrapolate my love of my 3i to a 2i?  Boo!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

So you're saying I shouldn't extrapolate my love of my 3i to a 2i?  Boo!

Next outing you come to I'll bring my 2 iron for you to try. :beer:

I found it weird how "different" it seemed to make the jump from 3 to 2.  Somewhere between those was the threshhold for my ability to launch an iron high and far.  It was still fun to use occasionally and I hit some doozys with it (2nd shot, Torrey south #6, par 5 [during a scramble] to 18" for a tap-in eagle is the first that comes to mind) but it was mis-hit a lot more than it was well struck. :)

Consistently good? Where's the option for "none of the above?"

The topic is not "consistently good", but playable. I assumed it meant a loss of no more than one shot, or something like that?

I need the owl's face you posted in the past. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I voted 4 iron, though it's the same loft as my old 3, so, there's that.

I actually took it out for a 4H anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Consistently good? Where's the option for "none of the above?"

The topic is not "consistently good", but playable. I assumed it meant a loss of no more than one shot, or something like that?

I need the owl's face you posted in the past.

Ahh. If it's playable then 3-iron I guess because I've never hit a 2-iron. But I switched my 3 out for a hybrid a while ago.

That said, I wouldn't even consider my 7-iron a consistently good club for me... wish I could find the sweet spot more often and not the toe. I can still hack my way around though somehow.

Constantine

Ahh. If it's playable then 3-iron I guess because I've never hit a 2-iron. But I switched my 3 out for a hybrid a while ago.

That said, I wouldn't even consider my 7-iron a consistently good club for me... wish I could find the sweet spot more often and not the toe. I can still hack my way around though somehow.

Well, even hacking it around you have 6 strokes or more on me. You hack "good". :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Well, even hacking it around you have 6 strokes or more on me. You hack "good".

Haha. Well you'd still beat my ass on the days I shoot like 89 or whatever.

Constantine

I can hit a rocketballz 6 iron. Which at 26.5 degrees,is probably closer to a 5 iron in loft.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

This one guy in one of my leagues has an old Macgregor 2 iron. I hit that pretty good. So, I am going with a 2 iron.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I said 2-iron.  My clubs don't have those kind of numbers (they have the loft on them vs a club number), but I have an 18-degree iron and have no problem hitting that.

Haha. Well you'd still beat my ass on the days I shoot like 89 or whatever.

On that day I would probably shoot 95 or worse. That would probably be a tough course. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56