IGNORED

Relative Importance of Driving/Approach Shots, Short Game, Putting, etc. (LSW, Mark Broadie, Strokes Gained, etc.)

pjsnyc

Yeah, not really anything to do with the swing itself, but one example that there are more factors to scoring than just swinging the club.  As long as a player knows his strengths and accepts his weaknesses [U] when on the course [/U], he can improve his chances slightly more than what his swing alone might account for.  A good long game will certainly help the smart player to avoid those danger zones when planning any shot.  Identify the spot to which you really, really don't want to hit the ball, then play to the best compromise between the perfect shot, and what is realistic for your current skill level.

Agree 100%. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is anecdotal, however, and means nothing. (Except its a bit funny ;))

Yesterday, I saw a guy take two shots to get to a green side bunker on a par 4 and then card an 11 on the hole. And this was in the ISPS World Cup!!! A world class touring pro did that!

Saw that ... he didn't lob it onto the green. He tried to pitch and run ... didn't work for him ... several times. You'd think after two times, he might try a different shot ... a lob, or at least a high pitch.

On topic -- see, if he had the proper long game, he would have been on the green.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Saw that ... he didn't lob it onto the green. He tried to pitch and run ... didn't work for him ... several times. You'd think after two times, he might try a different shot ... a lob, or at least a high pitch. On topic -- see, if he had the proper long game, he would have been on the green.

Off topic: those greens appeared insane! Like, Augusta on steroids!!

Off topic: I didn't watch much of the tourney, but that hole setup was tough.

On topic - long game prevents reoccurrences of the above, but you still need a versatile short game with that improved long game - versatile = more than bump and run, pitch and run ... you need a pitch and stop asap.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Melbourne is dry this time of year. You know it's hard ground when Kuch can't get the ball to check.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

Yesterday, I saw a guy take two shots to get to a green side bunker on a par 4 and then card an 11 on the hole. And this was in the ISPS World Cup!!! A world class touring pro did that!

Yeah his short game was great on the hole before where he made a 1 ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
If you shoot over 85, the long game is more important. Below, that the short game takes on increasing importance.

Did you read the thread? Current evidence points to… no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you shoot over 85, the long game is more important. Below, that the short game takes on increasing importance.

And your reasoning for that statement is?  Please go back about 5-6 pages and read the thread

Mike McLoughlin

My experience, not my reasoning, is that if you're shooting the higher scores, your swing is not under control and you're wasting strokes getting up to the green. For example, my son isn't shooting 95 because he can't chip. His swing sucks. Being good around the green won't help him too much unless he chips everything in, and even then it wouldn't always be for par.

When I have shot my lower scores, my swing has been working very well, as my swing goes, but I have also been getting up and downs to save me when I miss.

This is how I see it.

Is there a specific post five or six pages earlier that you could refer me to? I went back and wasn't sure which one you might mean.

My experience, not my reasoning, is that if you're shooting the higher scores, your swing is not under control and you're wasting strokes getting up to the green. For example, my son isn't shooting 95 because he can't chip. His swing sucks. Being good around the green won't help him too much unless he chips everything in, and even then it wouldn't always be for par.

When I have shot my lower scores, my swing has been working very well, as my swing goes, but I have also been getting up and downs to save me when I miss.

This is how I see it.

Is there a specific post five or six pages earlier that you could refer me to? I went back and wasn't sure which one you might mean.

The "long game" on this thread is defined as full shots. All of the short game in the world is not going to save any of us (no matter what our handicap is) if we don't have the long game to get to the green in a reasonable amount of strokes.

Nobody is saying that the short game isn't important. Hell some days it's all I've got to hold a round halfway together but it will never completely make up for my lack of a long game on those days.

Lack of a consistent long game is why I will never be a scratch golfer and I'm not talking about distance because I hit the ball fairly long.

I just went back to where I knew these articles can be found

http://thesandtrap.com/t/14930/is-the-long-game-more-important-than-short-game/144#post_914889

http://thesandtrap.com/t/14930/is-the-long-game-more-important-than-short-game/90#post_914540

http://thesandtrap.com/t/14930/is-the-long-game-more-important-than-short-game/72#post_914432

http://thesandtrap.com/t/14930/is-the-long-game-more-important-than-short-game/72#post_914442

Yes when you have your best rounds, all facets of the game will be solid.  Even if your short game wasn't so great that day, the score would have still been decent.  Much better than if you hit it all over the lot, had issues with contact but your short game was good.

Mike McLoughlin

Bubba Watson shot 81 with a 20 degree hybrid-His only club-Recently. Wouldn't have shot any better with a sand wedge as his only club I guarantee that.-Long game more important.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I would rather have a ok short game( which I do) and hit fairways and greens Than be the best putter on earth and spray the ball everywhere. I think people latch on to the short game because its easier to get half way good at it imo.

I would rather have a ok short game( which I do) and hit fairways and greens Than be the best putter on earth and spray the ball everywhere. I think people latch on to the short game because its easier to get half way good at it imo.

i think its because they over-rate their full swing capabilities.  i think they would rather tell other people that their full swing is prettier than Kate Upton's cleavage and that they are held back by sucky putting and chipping.  its better for their ego.  most people think they hit the ball better than they do.

Colin P.

i think its because they over-rate their full swing capabilities.  i think they would rather tell other people that their full swing is prettier than Kate Upton's cleavage and that they are held back by sucky putting and chipping.  its better for their ego.  most people think they hit the ball better than they do.

Kate Upton's cleavage just makes that whole post somehow...better.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
most people think they hit the ball better than they do.

Quite true.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets