IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's my theory for the chart:

Their tracking system tracks ALL of the shots they take. Now remember, scoring clubs for them are 8i-SW. These are clubs that they can easily control the distance with. So let's take 4 typical shots with a PW for example:

135 yds - very smooth, controlled swing

120 yds - 3/4 swing for accuracy and less spin

150 yds - full swing

140 yds - smooth, controlled swing

Average - 136 yards

Even though their full swing results in a 150 yard shot, they rarely hit that sort of swing UNLESS they have a perfect lie, such as off a tee box; I see many pros hitting a PW from 150 off the tee with no wind or elevation. That's why the averages are that low.

I think the pros can hit a much longer than a 135 yard very smooth controlled swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the pros can hit a much longer than a 135 yard very smooth controlled swing.

That's not what the chart suggests. Unless the chart also includes chips and pitches around the green with those clubs, which I highly doubt.

It's ironic that whenever verifiable, objective data is presented, such as distance charts by trackman or shotlink based on thousands of actual golf swings, the distance-obsessed counterargument consists of anecdotes (I know Phil hits it farther). That, and the notion that PGA Tour players would somehow want to swing as hard as they can on ANY shot.

Maybe that's what makes this thread so entertaining.

That's not what the chart suggests. Unless the chart also includes chips and pitches around the green with those clubs, which I highly doubt.

Interesting, I just thought pros would have much more smooth easy power. So, their advantage is the so called full power swing. I haven't figured how to do one without totally screwing up the shot. Good I'm not a pro.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's all about controlling the body and muscle memory. The pros learn this through repetition. They can swing 95%, while keeping their head still and maintaining proper mechanics, so it only looks like a 70% swing....just faster!

The 18th hole is a 235 yard par 3 this week. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of 4 irons

I'd just drop a little driver on it...... :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Like the Dylan song, "Things Have Changed".

Driver - 240+ Carry(Dunno for sure yet)

12.5 - 220-230 Carry

3i - 200

4i - 190

5i - 180

6i - 170

7i - 160

8i - 150

9i - 140

47 - 120ish

52 - 105ish

57 - 90ish

Looking to add a 5W or 4W.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Tiger on 18 Took a decent swing with a 4 iron and was about 2 clubs long. Plus he has very weak irons so for him with normal clubs that 235 or whatever is like 6 iron.

a touch downhill too

So Woods' irons are 6-8 degrees weaker than normal? Where did you get this inside info?

(Off-topic, I know.) :offtopic:

Today while watching golf I noticed everyone on the 197 yard par 3 sixth hole hit 7 iron with the occasional 6. Again that chart may true but I can't see how

I've said this before: when the pros get perfect lies, they can swing with their full potential. That chart is probably taking into account all of the shots they take from deep rough, fairway bunkers, and maybe even punch-outs.

Yesterday I saw DJ hit a 6i on whatever the flat 180y par 3 is, not sure which hole. I think it's a case of TV showing mostly the leaders hitting exciting shots and people only paying attention to that. Amateurs tend to overestimate their own distances not realizing the pro stats are carry distances. They might "hit" what sounds like a long shot on TV and the viewer doesn't realize the ball landed 30 yds short of the intended target and the course topograpghy took it the rest of the way there. That's a big reason they play practice rounds. They don't go out there and practice as much as inspect every detail about the course.

Dave :-)

Driver: 290-310

3w: 265

3h: 245

4i: 225-230

5i: 200-210

6i: 190

7i: 175

8i: 160

9i: 145

PW: 130

GW: 110

SW: 90

LW: 75

Irons are pretty accurate. Driver depends on conditions. Just picked up the TMaG SLDR this week and put it to the test yesterday. I was averaging 315 or so off the tee when hit flush and centered on the face. Courses are still pretty dry here in northern cali so I'm getting good roll. Oh btw.... FIRST POST.

Driver: 290-310 3w: 265 3h: 245 4i: 225-230 5i: 200-210 6i: 190 7i: 175 8i: 160 9i: 145 PW: 130 GW: 110 SW: 90 LW: 75 Irons are pretty accurate. Driver depends on conditions. Just picked up the TMaG SLDR this week and put it to the test yesterday. I was averaging 315 or so off the tee when hit flush and centered on the face. Courses are still pretty dry here in northern cali so I'm getting good roll. Oh btw.... FIRST POST.

First post? Be prepared for about another 100 posts to defend your distances. If it's any pre-consolation, I believe it's possible for you. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!