IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now that I'm an advocate of Game Golf, seems like this thread is kind of redundant just like the "what did you shoot today" thread.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Now that I'm an advocate of Game Golf, seems like this thread is kind of redundant just like the "what did you shoot today" thread.

Agreed. I'm going to pick up Game Golf Live, relatively soon, just waiting on the Dept. Of Treasury. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Where are you guys playing that you get roll out on your shots?? I have to get out of Seattle!! I crushed a drive today on a par 5 and was curious about distance. So I marked the tee box on my watch and walked up to my ball. It was laying in the fairway, 3 ft from its pitch mark. I guess I should be happy that it wasn't plugged. My watch said it was 271 yards. I'd like to go play in Denver one of these days. I hear the thin air makes for some long drives.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dholmes said:

Where are you guys playing that you get roll out on your shots?? I have to get out of Seattle!! I crushed a drive today on a par 5 and was curious about distance. So I marked the tee box on my watch and walked up to my ball. It was laying in the fairway, 3 ft from its pitch mark. I guess I should be happy that it wasn't plugged. My watch said it was 271 yards. I'd like to go play in Denver one of these days. I hear the thin air makes for some long drives.

I'm in upstate NY, If I hit a drive right now, I won't be able to find the ball!!!!

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

9 minutes ago, Dholmes said:

Honolulu. No rain since nov. drier then Death Valley.  Just hit two 320+ drives.  Ground is like cement. 

Edited by GolfingInHawaiiSpoiledMe

That must be fun trying to stop the ball on the green. That the good part of rainy Seattle. My 5 iron does the one hop and stop on our greens. And bump and runs are worthless.

1 hour ago, Dholmes said:

Why? Should you be driving that much farther than the rest of us? ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It would just be nice to see one roll out a little as opposed to finding your ball right where it landed and caked with mud. Plus, then I could tell all my friends that I always drive the ball 300 yards. I actually hit the ball farther than 90% of the people I play with. I play twice a week at least, and I get paired with strangers all the time. I also play about 10 tournaments a year. With that said, I believe my average drive would be between 265 and 280. With all the people on these forums and everywhere else who always seem to hit 300 plus all the time, I would have to imagine that a lot of people don't measure very accurately, or.... balls don't fly as far in this part of the country ( no roll ). I was at Pro Golf Discount today and was testing out some hybrids. I ended up hitting a new ping i 4 iron and on the monitor, it said I had 3 shots over 230 yards. I have the i25's and I can barely hit my 5 iron 190 at the max. They are basically the same irons yet the monitor says that I'm hitting it 30 yards farther then it should be going. You take that 4 iron outside and I would bet it would go about 200 to 205. I know that there are guys that can hit the ball a mile, I've seen people do it. But from my experience, it's not commonplace in this area. I wonder if people who travel a lot could comment on differences in driver distance playing in different states. I.e. , does the ball seem to go farther in Arizona vs Minnesota ?? And for what it's worth, I don't really care how far I hit the ball off the tee. I just want to shoot in the 70's and low 80's. Because that makes me feel way better then having a few drives go 300+ and shooting in the 90's. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dholmes said:

It would just be nice to see one roll out a little as opposed to finding your ball right where it landed and caked with mud. Plus, then I could tell all my friends that I always drive the ball 300 yards. I actually hit the ball farther than 90% of the people I play with. I play twice a week at least, and I get paired with strangers all the time. I also play about 10 tournaments a year. With that said, I believe my average drive would be between 265 and 280. With all the people on these forums and everywhere else who always seem to hit 300 plus all the time, I would have to imagine that a lot of people don't measure very accurately, or.... balls don't fly as far in this part of the country ( no roll ). I was at Pro Golf Discount today and was testing out some hybrids. I ended up hitting a new ping i 4 iron and on the monitor, it said I had 3 shots over 230 yards. I have the i25's and I can barely hit my 5 iron 190 at the max. They are basically the same irons yet the monitor says that I'm hitting it 30 yards farther then it should be going. You take that 4 iron outside and I would bet it would go about 200 to 205. I know that there are guys that can hit the ball a mile, I've seen people do it. But from my experience, it's not commonplace in this area. I wonder if people who travel a lot could comment on differences in driver distance playing in different states. I.e. , does the ball seem to go farther in Arizona vs Minnesota ?? And for what it's worth, I don't really care how far I hit the ball off the tee. I just want to shoot in the 70's and low 80's. Because that makes me feel way better then having a few drives go 300+ and shooting in the 90's. 

There are people who claim to hit 300 where there are those that do and those that don't. Some golfers are better at estimating their distances, and some not so. It really shouldn't make too much difference how they perceive themselves I guess. In a perfect golf world everyone would know exactly hot far they hit, but it's not a perfect world.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

D- 275

3W- about 3 feet off the ground

5W- 235

4I: 215

5I: 205

6I: 190

7I: 180

8I: 170

9I: 160

PW: 150

GW: 130

SW: 115

• 4 months later...

This is more than 14 clubs but it's even club I own loft in parentheses:

Drivers:

EX9 (10° set at 10.5°): 255

SLDR Mini (14°):215 to 235

Fairway woods:

4-wood (16.5°): 225

7-wood (21°) 210

Hybrids:

3h (19°): 215

4h (22°): 202

5h (25°): 190

6h (28°): 177

Irons:

3 (19°): 205

4 (22°): 193

5 (25°): 181

6 (28°): 169

7 (31°): 157

8 (35°): 145

9 (40°): 133

Wedges:

PW (45°): 120

AW (50°): 105

54° SW:  90

58° SW: 75 ( when I remember to "cheat" my weight forward at address)

Putter: in the cup (I hope).:-D

I know that it's 20 total clubs. Right now I have D, MD, 3h, 4-PW, AW, 54°, 58°, Putter in the bag.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: 240-50 carry

Hybrid: 190, 200 (Teed)

6i: 180

7i: 160-165

8: 150

9: 140

PW: 130

UW: 120

SW: 110

GW: 100 (crushed), 90 (smooth full), 80 (3/4), 70 (1/2) 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I don't cary typical clubs.  I also am recovering from a bad accident so I don't hit the distances I was.  

Driver (Cleveland HiBore XS 9°) 250-270 carry,  290-300 total

3 wood (Cleveland HiBore XS 15°). 230 carry, 250 total

5 wood ( Bang SF) 215 carry, 225 total

7 wood (Bang SF) 200 carry, 215 total

9 wood (Bang SF) 190 carry, 195 total

11 wood (Bang SF) 175 carry, 180 total

13 wood (Bang SF) 160 carry,  165 total

15 wood (Bang SF) 150 carry, 153 total

17 wood (Bang SF) 140 carry, 141 total

19 wood (Bang SF) 130 carry, 130 total

49° wedge (SMT Durometer) 125

53° wedge (SMT Durometer) 100

59° wedge (SMT Durometer) 80

Putter (Odyssey Two Ball) knocked one in from 50 ft before but I can hit it further.

• 4 weeks later...

Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver:  not sure; only used it for 1 round, so far, but I hit it a lot longer than the 3-iron off the tee.  :-D

Original King Cobra woods - kinda lost with these, right now.

• 3W (14*): used to be ~220-230 off the turf; 230-250 off the tee.  Now, I can't touch it off the tee.  :~(
  • 5W (18*): used to be ~200-210; may be generous now.

Wilson MS-600 irons (mid-90s)

• 3 (22*): 190
  • 4 (25*): 180
  • 5 (28*): 170
  • 6 (32*): 160
  • 7 (36*): 150
  • 8 (40*): 135
  • 9 (44*): 120
  • PW (48*): 105

Cobra Trusty Rusty wedges - I've had the SW for a while, but just added the GW and LW in the last month.  The SW and LW are both from the original run (non-conforming now, I think, whatever that means).  The GW is from the newer run (early 2010s, with orange paint fill).  I haven't played since getting the GW and LW, due to my elbow, so I have no idea how I hit these on full shots.  I've hit the LW around the practice green from a variety of lies and like it a lot, so far.

• GW (51*): ???
  • SW (55*): 70
  • LW (59*): ???
  • Wilson Staff LW (59*):  varies wildly; hated this club just about every time I hit it, so I found a replacement (I hope) in the Trusty Rusty.

My distances drop off faster after the 7-iron, which has always bugged me.

Putters:

• Cobra TPA V-i
  • Ping Anser (late-60s model)

I never paid attention to iron specs when I was in school, but I've been looking at current irons lately and am shocked at what I've found.  Cobra's F6 and Fly-Z sets have a 5-iron (23*) that is close to what I have in a 3-iron (22*).  I don't like the resulting 5* gap between clubs at the low end that that requires.

Edited by Duffer Waldorf

:cobra:  :wilsonstaff:  :cleveland:

• Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver (10*), 3/4 Fwy (15.5*)
  • Adams Red (20*)
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW (24*,27*,31*,35*,39*,43*,47*, 51*)
  • Cobra Trusty Rusty (51*,55*,59*)
  • Cleveland TFI 6.5

I dont think distance is so much important. Just play the yardage the distance you do have allows for. 

I don't know my distances to the yard like pros do, but I'm pretty confident these are my carry numbers within 5 yards. 

Driver - 265

3Wood - 245

2 hybrid - 225

3 hybrid - 210

4 iron 195

5iron 185

6 iron 175

7iron - 165

8iron -155

9iron 140

PW - 125

GW - 110

58 degree - 80

Note: This thread is 961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!