IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just want to point out the difference between general internet inflation and bragging about fantasy distances, and not reporting your true numerical mean as your average distance.  I think pissiness about not reporting true numerical average is a little silly.

For argument's sake, say 1/4 of my 4i shots are mishits that result in less distance (chunks, weak push fades, low draws that bounce and run out short and left, etc), say 170 yards on average between the different types.  The rest of my shots go somewhere reasonably near the green and average 200 yards on the line from ball to target.  I'm not going to report 192.5 as my 4i distance.  Standing over the ball at 192.5 yards with a 4i I'm expecting either to hit the back or airmail the green unless I hit a crap shot.  I'm going to report the distance where I expect the ball to be near pin high if I hit a reasonable shot, which is about 198-204.

I'm well aware that my true numerical average is less that 202, but that's the distance I'm going to play, and one I have experience telling me is about the distance from which I'll average pin high when I hit something other than a horrible shot.  So that's what I'll report on a thread like this.

This is EXACTLY how I report my averages on a thread like this.

There are probably only 4 or 5 sandtrappers that actually have hard data on their averages for each club, the rest are 'I usually use this club for this distance'

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I think this is where the low handicappers will not believe the 350+ yard drives. 350+ yards on your good drives while you hit your PW 105 does not really compute. Once you put 185 for your 3 hybrid (maybe 18 degrees?), and 105 for PW, the proper distance for your driver would be 220 carry and a 250 total?

If you hit your driver 350+ yards, your carry is still in the 330 range and the swing speed with the driver is in the 140mph range. If you even swing a half swing with your PW and hit the toe, the ball should still go at least 130 yards or more. This is why the numbers do not really make sense, and why there might be some people wondering why you wrote 350.

Unless, of course you meant 250 and not 350. Could also be a typo.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant by that is that if I'm teeing off and the hole is longer then 350 yards then I'll go with driver, under 350 yards and I'll tee off with my 3w.

My typical driver (when well struck for me) will be in the 225 - 240 yard range.  My 3w is a little more consistent and in the 200 - 220 yard range off the tee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdl

I just want to point out the difference between general internet inflation and bragging about fantasy distances, and not reporting your true numerical mean as your average distance.  I think pissiness about not reporting true numerical average is a little silly.

For argument's sake, say 1/4 of my 4i shots are mishits that result in less distance (chunks, weak push fades, low draws that bounce and run out short and left, etc), say 170 yards on average between the different types.  The rest of my shots go somewhere reasonably near the green and average 200 yards on the line from ball to target.  I'm not going to report 192.5 as my 4i distance.  Standing over the ball at 192.5 yards with a 4i I'm expecting either to hit the back or airmail the green unless I hit a crap shot.  I'm going to report the distance where I expect the ball to be near pin high if I hit a reasonable shot, which is about 198-204.

I'm well aware that my true numerical average is less that 202, but that's the distance I'm going to play, and one I have experience telling me is about the distance from which I'll average pin high when I hit something other than a horrible shot.  So that's what I'll report on a thread like this.

There are probably only 4 or 5 sandtrappers that actually have hard data on their averages for each club, the rest are 'I usually use this club for this distance'

There are probably more than that, but it takes a lot of effort to do this.

On top of the fact that it takes a lot of free time to do it, weather conditions and playing conditions change these numbers dramatically. The ball type also changes it quite a bit. I spent a good amount of time on it, and am not nearly done. I have only a few sets of data for summer and one for winter for Callaway Hex Control.

The other way is to just golf for ten years with the same swing and equipment, and get a good feel for the distances on each club.

Is it really worth it just to post "accurate" numbers on the internet? Most of the time I don't even take advantage of the data because I don't usually use a range finder on the course, anyway.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I think this is where the low handicappers will not believe the 350+ yard drives. 350+ yards on your good drives while you hit your PW 105 does not really compute. Once you put 185 for your 3 hybrid (maybe 18 degrees?), and 105 for PW, the proper distance for your driver would be 220 carry and a 250 total?

If you hit your driver 350+ yards, your carry is still in the 330 range and the swing speed with the driver is in the 140mph range. If you even swing a half swing with your PW and hit the toe, the ball should still go at least 130 yards or more. This is why the numbers do not really make sense, and why there might be some people wondering why you wrote 350.

Unless, of course you meant 250 and not 350. Could also be a typo.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant by that is that if I'm teeing off and the hole is longer then 350 yards then I'll go with driver, under 350 yards and I'll tee off with my 3w.

My typical driver (when well struck for me) will be in the 225 - 240 yard range.  My 3w is a little more consistent and in the 200 - 220 yard range off the tee.

No, it was my reading skills that impeded the understanding.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I tracked every club most of 2012 and part of 2013. I didn't find it useful once I saw how much it varied, shot to shot, day to day. That and I was trending down quickly due to practice and lessons so I stopped for everything but drives. Only track that because a driver in the bag was new to me in spring of 2013 so I wanted to monitor it to see if I was making progress. With progress came a change in course management, by the end of 2013 I moved back two tees so everything was different. But I will go back to it once they get more courses mapped for the Game Golf tracker. If that is as cool as it looks it will be a stat keepers dream. The feature to be able to replay every shot should be a real eye opener for the distance fantasy types.

Dave :-)

Driver = 230

3w = 210

5w = 190

7iron = 160

putter = 1 ft (never further away then that, yeah right!)

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Driver = 230 3w = 210 5w = 190 7iron = 160 putter = 1 ft (never further away then that, yeah right!)

Interesting that I hit my Driver, 3W and 5W pretty much the same distance as you but only hit my 7 iron 135-140ish. Are the rest of your irons in line with those distances?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

This past year my distances changed depending on the weather... but here they are Driver. 270 (carry and roll.... I hit it so high that I may get ten yards of roll if I'm lucky) 4w 245 2i. 230 (I hit the chicken stick pretty well if you are wondering) 3i. 215 4i. 202 5i. 190 6i. 177 7i. 165 8i. 150 9i. 140 PW. 128 52º. 112 58º. 97. Don't hit it full so I'm not exactly sure but I hit 30 balls on the range hitting it full... using a range finder and eliminating the shortest and longest 5 and that's what I came up with... thinking about putting different shafts in the 52º and 58º wedges though... maybe S400 like my irons...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Interesting that I hit my Driver, 3W and 5W pretty much the same distance as you but only hit my 7 iron 135-140ish. Are the rest of your irons in line with those distances?

I bought new irons, the Callaway X-Hot's. If you look at the lofts of each iron, they are a little on the strong side. I used to hit my 7 iron about 140, 145, now my new irons are about 15 yards longer.

New                                   Old

Callaway X-Hot             SnakeEyesViper

SW     = 54*                         54*

GW     = 49*                         50*

PW     = 44*                         46*

9 Iron = 38*                         42*

8 Iron = 34.5*                      38*

7 Iron = 30*                         34*

6 Iron = 26*                         30*

5 Iron = 23*                         26*

4 Iron = 20*                         22.5*

3 Iron = 18*                         19.5*

I bought new irons, the Callaway X-Hot's. If you look at the lofts of each iron, they are a little on the strong side. I used to hit my 7 iron about 140, 145, now my new irons are about 15 yards longer.      New                                   Old

[U]Callaway X-Hot             SnakeEyesViper[/U]

[quote name="Billy Z" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1380#post_947213"] I bought new irons, the Callaway X-Hot's. If you look at the lofts of each iron, they are a little on the strong side. I used to hit my 7 iron about 140, 145, now my new irons are about 15 yards longer.      New                                   Old

[U]Callaway X-Hot             SnakeEyesViper[/U]

[/quote] Ah good point. What kind of Woods and Driver do you use?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Quote:

Ah good point. What kind of Woods and Driver do you use?

X-Hot 4 Hybrid

"    5 Wood

"    3 Wood

Ping G20 Driver w/stiff shaft graphite @ 9.5*

I bought new irons, the Callaway X-Hot's. If you look at the lofts of each iron, they are a little on the strong side. I used to hit my 7 iron about 140, 145, now my new irons are about 15 yards longer.

[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE Callaway X-Hot             SnakeEyesViper

[if gte mso 9!>

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Those are some crazy low lofts!  For my 695CBs, I have the exact same lofts for 3i-8i as you have for 4i-9i!

Yes they are a little strong, but that's what manf's are doing these days. They deloft the irons some, which makes prospective iron buyers think a certain brand hits farther then another brand, when in fact it's all about the loft. I don't ever remember using a gap wedge 20 years ago, now you a person needs one because of the gap that the de-lofted pw leaves. It really is 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. A golfer must realize what the limitations of their clubs.

Those are some crazy low lofts!  For my 695CBs, I have the exact same lofts for 3i-8i as you have for 4i-9i!

Yeah, that does look right to me.  I have i20's, which don't exactly have "traditional" lofts, yet my 4 iron and 5 iron are a degree WEAKER than his 5 iron and 6 iron!!

However, I just went to the Callaway website and other than the likely typo in regards to the 9 iron (should be 39, not 38) those are exactly what they advertise.

Crazy!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdl

Yes they are a little strong, but that's what manf's are doing these days. They deloft the irons some, which makes prospective iron buyers think a certain brand hits farther then another brand, when in fact it's all about the loft. I don't ever remember using a gap wedge 20 years ago, now you a person needs one because of the gap that the de-lofted pw leaves. It really is 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. A golfer must realize what the limitations of their clubs.

I was actually wondering if you could get good strikes from your 3i?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Actually, I don't have a 3 iron with my new set, I have the clubs listed on the 'list' section of each of my posts. The comparisons I made were only for comparison purposes. Although, if I had a 3 iron in my new X-Hots, it might be a challenge to hit. FWIW, I hit my 4 iron X-Hot quite well, at least at the driving range.

Haha.  I was actually thinking how, when I buy my next set, I might actually like this move in lofts for exactly the reason you asked this question, does he have trouble hitting his 2i (whoops, 3i).  I'd prefer to buy a used set just cause it's SO much cheaper to get a set from last year than a brand new one (and it's not that hard to find a used set with +0.5 or +1 shafts, and forged clubs at least can be bent upright after the fact easily during a fitting).  And I love my 3i and am hoping to get a set with a matching 2i to replace my 2h.  But it's super hard to find a used set with a 2i.  This way I can buy a used set labeled 3i-P, play it as 2i-9i, and get a wedge with more classic PW loft that matches my SW and LW.  Then I can have a matching set of irons down to classic 2i loft and a matching set of wedges rather than a lonely separate 2i...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!