IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yea I forgot to mention the two drives i absolutely creamed right up the middle.  I followed those up with hosel rockets off my 54* wedge.  right into bunkers.  Turned birdie looks into bogeys and doubles.

I'm actually pretty terrified that I've lost my swing.  I was hitting em soooooo well up until last saturday then it all just came apart.

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Well Neal, I'm not more convinced with your physical attributes. I'm 6'3 245lbs....linebacker in college...max bench was 475..can still bench 350lbs...I have a much more weight transferred and fluid swing than yours and if I really lay into a 7i I can hit it 200...if it all comes together. Not calling you a liar...just think there's a little something you're missing...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These are my distances, 60 yr old fat man. Distances are averages taken recorded shots on golf logix.

Driver 220-230 best this year 248

3w 200-210

5w 190-200

4h 175-185

4i  165

5i 155

6i 145

7i 135

8i 125

9i 115

pw 105

sw 80

lw 55

The only club that has been fitted is my driver, titleist 913 d2 with an bassara  a shaft. All the other clubs are Taylor Made super fast and super launch regular shaft. Any changes you would make to this bag?

Marty

These are my distances, 60 yr old fat man. Distances are averages taken recorded shots on golf logix.

Driver 220-230 best this year 248

3w 200-210

5w 190-200

4h 175-185

4i  165

5i 155

6i 145

7i 135

8i 125

9i 115

pw 105

sw 80

lw 55

The only club that has been fitted is my driver, titleist 913 d2 with an bassara  a shaft. All the other clubs are Taylor Made super fast and super launch regular shaft. Any changes you would make to this bag?

Marty

If you are averaging 225 with your driver, your PW to 4i distances are a club short. Unless, you only make a half to three quarter swing with those.

I met a 71 year old (5'5" maybe 140 pounds) who hits his 6i Hogan Radials about 150 yards easily and reliably, and his 12 degree Cobra regular flex about 220 carry with a nice high ball flight. His PW was about 110 carry. I don't know how he does it, but he also has a severe OTT swing and somehow is a 12 handicap (held back a bit because of two bad knees).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just to update mine. I am not sure I did since i switched to my Mizuno's and SLDR

Driver: 295-305

3-wood: 265-270

19 deg Hybrid: 230-235

4 iron: 216

5 iron: 204

6 iron: 192

7 Iron: 180

8 iron: 168

9 iron: 156

PW: 144

52 deg: 126

56 deg: 110

58 deg: 104

Nice distances.  Asking you, but also a general question.  You're about a club+ longer than me in general.  My question is this.  I see a lot of better players around here (and pros from things like the what's in my bag page in GD) are more like a club and a half longer than me with the long irons, but less than a full club longer than me with the short irons.  For example, my 4i is solidly my 200 club, error more often a tad longer than shorter, but feel best sitting right at 200.  But my I hit 8i 160, 9i 150, and PW 135.  I assume most guys still play with 4˚ gaps through somewhere in the mid irons and 3˚ gaps down low.  Is it just that better players are better ball strikers so average more like 12 yard gaps between clubs instead of the 10 yards I get pretty much all through my set?  And with the higher lofts the extra swing speed and more consistently flush contact adds a bit less distance?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Just to update mine. I am not sure I did since i switched to my Mizuno's and SLDR

Driver: 295-305

3-wood: 265-270

19 deg Hybrid: 230-235

4 iron: 216

5 iron: 204

6 iron: 192

7 Iron: 180

8 iron: 168

9 iron: 156

PW: 144

52 deg: 126

56 deg: 110

58 deg: 104

Nice distances.  Asking you, but also a general question.  You're about a club+ longer than me in general.  My question is this.  I see a lot of better players around here (and pros from things like the what's in my bag page in GD) are more like a club and a half longer than me with the long irons, but less than a full club longer than me with the short irons.  For example, my 4i is solidly my 200 club, error more often a tad longer than shorter, but feel best sitting right at 200.  But my I hit 8i 160, 9i 150, and PW 135.  I assume most guys still play with 4˚ gaps through somewhere in the mid irons and 3˚ gaps down low.  Is it just that better players are better ball strikers so average more like 12 yard gaps between clubs instead of the 10 yards I get pretty much all through my set?  And with the higher lofts the extra swing speed and more consistently flush contact adds a bit less distance?

I just read something @iacas posted in a different thread.  Something about it being harder not to flip with longer clubs.  For myself (even though my distances are not even close to yours) I feel I hit my shorter clubs longer as well.  PW about 115, 8 iron about 140.  It drops off pretty quickly from there though.  To the point where I am not even sure of a consistent distance with a 4 iron.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Only know that for my 7 iron from when I had my fitting for my clubs 175-180 yards consistent with a club head speed of 88-90 mph

If you are averaging 225 with your driver, your PW to 4i distances are a club short. Unless, you only make a half to three quarter swing with those.

I met a 71 year old (5'5" maybe 140 pounds) who hits his 6i Hogan Radials about 150 yards easily and reliably, and his 12 degree Cobra regular flex about 220 carry with a nice high ball flight. His PW was about 110 carry. I don't know how he does it, but he also has a severe OTT swing and somehow is a 12 handicap (held back a bit because of two bad knees).

I think there is a few things wrong with my bag. Driver is the right fit, no change. Shafts are to stiff for me, the irons launch to high, and there is to big of a gap in my wedges. I'm thinking about these changes. My irons launch to high because I hit up slightly on them. I'm working with a coach and trying to correct it.

driver Titleist d2 @11.25 no change

3w change to about  16

hy @ 19

HY @23-24

5I-pw

w 50

w 54

w 58-60

Marty

I think there is a few things wrong with my bag. Driver is the right fit, no change. Shafts are to stiff for me, the irons launch to high, and there is to big of a gap in my wedges. I'm thinking about these changes. My irons launch to high because I hit up slightly on them . I'm working with a coach and trying to correct it.  driver Titleist d2 @11.25 no change 3w change to about  16 hy @ 19 HY @23-24 5I-pw w 50 w 54 w 58-60 Marty

Scooping should make the trajectory lower, unless you are also flipping a little. Your other distances make good sense, just the irons were a little off to me. The coach should figure out what's happening.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Wow.. Most of the folks here averaging 285 yard drives! The average distance for PGA Tour players using driver is 287.4 Interesting...

Not true. I tallied them up at one point. Less than 20% hit that far, plus we are on a golf forum with more serious golfers. I would expect more of us to hit farther than "average".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

From the posts, we have a lot of PGA Tour pro driver distance hitters here! From the few pages I read, some dudes were even posting 315 yd drive averages!!! Lol... Keep in mind Bubba Watson who just won the Masters, is #1 on the pga tour in driving distance at 315! Wait! Wait! are you saying you went and tallied up 1,560 posts of people's distances here? Dude you need to get a life... no offense

You probably aren't doing the standard 30% reduction for "Internet distances". ;-) With that reduction everything comes out about right. More entertaining to me are the ones calculating how far you can hit a driver based on how far you can hit a pitching wedge. By the formula I can hit my driver about a mile and a half.

You probably aren't doing the standard 30% reduction for "Internet distances".

With that reduction everything comes out about right.

More entertaining to me are the ones calculating how far you can hit a driver based on how far you can hit a pitching wedge.

By the formula I can hit my driver about a mile and a half.

Or you are me who doesn't feel the need to embellish anything about my game :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

From the posts, we have a lot of PGA Tour pro driver distance hitters here! From the few pages I read, some dudes were even posting 315 yd drive averages!!! Lol... Keep in mind Bubba Watson who just won the Masters, is #1 on the pga tour in driving distance at 315! Wait! Wait! are you saying you went and tallied up 1,560 posts of people's distances here? Dude you need to get a life... no offense

Yes, I write software for a living. I let the computers work for me. :-D Seriously, though, I just guesstimated this tally. I don't recall that many saying they hit that far without the handicap to back it up. Lot's of people I know hit far, including ones on this forum. The distinction between a pro is probably accuracy, I would guess?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I thought thats what we all did only count the average from solid hits with the face of the driver? If you calculated all the shanks skyballs tops slices and hooks OF A HIGH HANDICAPPER. Would that be a very representative figure? Is the hcp itself very representative?average hcp that is.

When a pro tees off, knowing he averages 290, it would be safe to say "I bet he is going to hit this drive about 290yds." Now, a 20hcp'er, who hits 3/10 balls solid, and those 3 balls average 290yds while the other 7 balls average 200yds, gets on the tee box. Would you bet this amateur is going to hit the ball 290? Or would you bet more around the 225yd mark?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong to report on only solid shots, but, I think it helps put into perspective just how good the pros are.

Note: This thread is 989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!