IGNORED

Golf Simulator Accuracy

harrinjj
Note: This thread is 2057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was thinking of going to the simulator at the local Golf Galaxy one of these days and using my driver to see what kind of numbers it gives me verse what I saw on the course this year.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was thinking of going to the simulator at the local Golf Galaxy one of these days and using my driver to see what kind of numbers it gives me verse what I saw on the course this year.

I have some new found respect for simulators after using the launch monitor for a couple hours last week.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/18523/golf-simulator-accuracy/36#post_1085621"] I have some new found respect for simulators after using the launch monitor for a couple hours last week.[/QUOTE] Howso?

I never really spent a lot of time getting used to the hitting environment (essentially a closed room). Never got good readings on them. After spending enough time hitting on it, I was able to get comfortable making full swings.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

When I started to learn how to play golf this year, I decided to go to a simulator site in order to get an idea of how "long" I hit each club.  Got read outs of the distance for each club before I actually step foot on a course -- a 9 hole -- and, based on the simulator chose which clubs to play.  Discovered that I was hitting the ball on the course about 10-20% SHORTER than what I was doing on the simulator and had to adjust accordingly.

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

I never really spent a lot of time getting used to the hitting environment (essentially a closed room). Never got good readings on them. After spending enough time hitting on it, I was able to get comfortable making full swings.

Ahhh. Well the GG by me doesn't use Flightscope or Trackman so I'm skeptical of the numbers they give out. I'd like to find a place or instructor that uses FS or TM where you can pay to use the equipment without having to pay for the lesson that goes along with it. -Edit- Looks like I may have found it: http://www.northway8golf.com/page.cfm/GolfAcademy.html

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I never really spent a lot of time getting used to the hitting environment (essentially a closed room). Never got good readings on them.

After spending enough time hitting on it, I was able to get comfortable making full swings.

Ahhh. Well the GG by me doesn't use Flightscope or Trackman so I'm skeptical of the numbers they give out.

I'd like to find a place or instructor that uses FS or TM where you can pay to use the equipment without having to pay for the lesson that goes along with it.

-Edit-

Looks like I may have found it:

http://www.northway8golf.com/page.cfm/GolfAcademy.html

I think GG uses what Golfsmith uses. Dick's uses a radar based one. Both of them measure ball speed and estimate the SS, the measurements seem to be roughly correct based upon my actual carry distances. I also was told that they are correct to within a couple mph.

I tried the optical one last night, and my SS is within a few mph of the other two launch monitors I used this last week. 8 months ago Trakman measured my SS at a little slower swing speed than I have now, but my mechanics have improved a bit. Flightscope measured my SS a lot slower, but that was the last time I "lost my swing" the previous time.

I am guessing that the measurements are correct, and that my SS did vary that much from trip to trip before I had any semblance of a swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Ahhh. Well the GG by me doesn't use Flightscope or Trackman so I'm skeptical of the numbers they give out.

I'd like to find a place or instructor that uses FS or TM where you can pay to use the equipment without having to pay for the lesson that goes along with it.

-Edit-

Looks like I may have found it:

http://www.northway8golf.com/page.cfm/GolfAcademy.html

you could always go to GG on washington ave, with your driver, and say that you want to compare the numbers with other drivers they have there.  thats free.  doesnt matter if its exact because you are comparing clubs on one monitor, so spin, launch angle, stuff like that is accurate.

Colin P.

Just wanted to follow up on my previous post. I call BS on the simulator. All the snow melted this weekend and I was able to hit outside into field next to my house. Using Google maps, I measured my shots and discovered there wasn't any gain in distances. So either my swing has reverted since last week or the simulator was off. All this means is that I can't trust anything but what I see. The simulator is fun and I'll keep using it through the winter, but not as a tool to evaluate progress.

Could be due to cold weather. You may have gained distance but due to the cold weather, you might not see the results.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think GG uses what Golfsmith uses. Dick's uses a radar based one. Both of them measure ball speed and estimate the SS, the measurements seem to be roughly correct based upon my actual carry distances. I also was told that they are correct to within a couple mph.

I tried the optical one last night, and my SS is within a few mph of the other two launch monitors I used this last week. 8 months ago Trakman measured my SS at a little slower swing speed than I have now, but my mechanics have improved a bit. Flightscope measured my SS a lot slower, but that was the last time I "lost my swing" the previous time.

I am guessing that the measurements are correct, and that my SS did vary that much from trip to trip before I had any semblance of a swing.

I'm not sure.  I've heard they play with the numbers at the retail stores to make it seem as though their driver performs way better than yours to make it easier to sell.

you could always go to GG on washington ave, with your driver, and say that you want to compare the numbers with other drivers they have there.  thats free.  doesnt matter if its exact because you are comparing clubs on one monitor, so spin, launch angle, stuff like that is accurate.

Yeah.  They're cool there.  I've asked to go in and just use my own driver and they've said it's ok as long as no one is looking to use it that is actually buying something.

Makes sense.  Haha.

Christian

My experience with golf monitor has been that it adds generous amount of roll compare to what I see in my home course.   The monitor's roll is likely on par with one of my ex-home course.   Carry distance seems to be fairly accurate.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I'm not sure.  I've heard they play with the numbers at the retail stores to make it seem as though their driver performs way better than yours to make it easier to sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

My experience with golf monitor has been that it adds generous amount of roll compare to what I see in my home course.   The monitor's roll is likely on par with one of my ex-home course.   Carry distance seems to be fairly accurate.

SS and carry are the only things that make sense to me. Maybe launch angle is okay?

Trakman and Flightscope measure spin pretty well from what I understand.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I only really ever use trackman at my local golfsmith, but I've found it to be pretty accurate. The key part is that I look at carry distance , not total distance. The roll they put on the trackman is absolutely ridiculous. I see 30 yards of roll on hybrid shots, which is ridiculous.

I have used simulators that have been obviously wrong before. I think in Colorado there is also the challenge of getting the altitude effect right. So I tend to take simulator results here with a grain assault.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Could be due to cold weather. You may have gained distance but due to the cold weather, you might not see the results.

It could be a combination of the simulator adding unrealistic roll, the temps, and my swing being off as I am working on some changes.

Anyway, the simulator is fun and there is some benefit. I didn't mean to make it sound like I expected a great deal of improvement. By the start of the season, I just want consistent distances - an extra 10 yards would be nice - but consistent would be better.

Jon

Since I read the OP's question I have given this some thought as I really had not considered simulator accuracy before and since I have taken several lessons on one I was curious as to what I thought.  I just assumed it was accurate enough depending upon what you're using it for.  So my thoughts go like this.  I should preface this with a statement of not having the manufacturer's specifications anything I say is just assumption.

First the machine should be very accurate in measuring the spin on the ball. High speed cameras can take a lot of pictures in second compared to any reasonable RPM and so accurate measurement is possible or the rotational velocity of the ball should be very accurate.   Measurement of the ball and club head speed is easy to do and accurate.  There is usually a short distance between the tee and the screen/curtain that detects impact so the initial ball directions in vertical and horizontal are well known.  So if you know these things accurately you now need to make some assumptions on the air the ball travels through like 25 degrees centigrade, 1 atmosphere pressure, and 40 % relative humidity.  Now if you have a map of the hole being simulated your landing spot can be accurately calculated yielding an accurate estimation of distance and direction from the starting point (tee).  How they figure the roll out, who knows?  Suffice to say that is a lot more complicated and less accurate than calculating the ball flight and landing point.  Although it will be accurate given what ever assumptions were made on what "ground conditions" are.

So here is what I think about simulators.  If you're using one for lessons and day to day you can measure the changes in ball flight as you progress and I believe the measured changes will be meaningful in terms of your swing performance/improvement.  I also think if you are comparing your performance with different clubs that the simulator is accurate and useful in the comparison.  If you have a lot of money it could be a lot of fun to have one of these in your "play room" so you could play all year in heated and air conditioned comfort.  But as an accurate simulation of what you will encounter on the course in terms of distance, I would think it would not be very accurate as there is just too much variation in atmosphere conditions and ground conditions day to day and place to place that will affect ball flight.

Butch

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection!!!

I have a question that is tangentially related to this topic. 

For those who have played full rounds on these simulators: 

Based on your current average score or handicap, how much better do you generally score on the simulators compared to on the course? 

Estimates are ok. And I’m ASSUMING most everyone scores better on the simulators versus a real course since there are so many variables removed on simulators. 

Just curious, and thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2018 at 8:20 PM, sofingaw said:

Thread resurrection!!!

I have a question that is tangentially related to this topic. 

For those who have played full rounds on these simulators: 

Based on your current average score or handicap, how much better do you generally score on the simulators compared to on the course? 

Estimates are ok. And I’m ASSUMING most everyone scores better on the simulators versus a real course since there are so many variables removed on simulators. 

Just curious, and thanks!

Most high end simulators allow the variables to be set.   Including atmospheric variables.      I play on a full swing simulator with e6 software.     If you want to score well on the simulator then you can turn off the wind and terrain penalties.  Without terrain penalties trees have 0 impact, your ball will keep going as if the tree was not there.   You can also set fairway and green hardness.     But to get back to the question it depends on what type of golfer you are and what course you play (simulator and real) and what settings the simulator has applied.  If you hit the ball accurately and consistently in real life and keep it in the fairway then scores are going to be close.   Courses with trees such as Pinehurst #2 are more difficult than Beach courses such as Kiawah Island.    You can get up and down from 3-4 feet high rough on a simulator where you would have probably lost a ball in real life.   You never have any obstructions preventing you from getting a club on the ball when hitting off a mat.  On the course you can hit 1 yard out of the fairway and get terrible lie.  To me the simulator is harder inside 20 yards than on the real course.  It also depends on how good of a putter you really are from inside the gimmie range in the simulator( give yourself everything within 6 feet on a real course and see your scores go down there too )    

An experienced simulator golfer is probably 3-5 strokes better on a good day than on a real course.    On a bad day 5-10 strokes better on the simulator.   

An experienced golfer who had never played a simulator is probably 10 or more strokes worse on a simulator until they get comfortable with it.

my last 9 holes on a real course I shot 43, my last 9 on a simulator I shot 44. But I’m guess Phonex Country Club is a littler harder than my local course 

On 10/30/2008 at 6:10 PM, harrinjj said:

Does anybody know the accuracy of the golf simulators? There is a place by my house that lets you go and hit balls and actually play PGA courses. I am more intersted in going up there every so often and using the simulator range. It tells you the distance of every shot. I figured this would be good to get a distance for my clubs. Would this be pretty accurate?

As long as it’s not OptiShot.

Edited by Vinsk
Missed it was ancient...wanted to delete.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!