IGNORED

Do You Play for Money?

RMD
Note: This thread is 4155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by rehmwa

If it happens chronically, I probably would stop playing with them.  I admit, my position isn't the norm, so I have to allow for that.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself out there. I'm not going to let other's ruin my experience. I can do enough of that on my own.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depending on the group we usually play either 50 Cents or a dollar;

per hole

birdies

closest to the pin on par 3's

longest drive on par 5's

Got a friend who plays for $1000 lowest score with his Friday foursome.

At the end of the year the one who has won the thousand bucks the most

during the year treats the foursome + Wives to dinner at Bobs Chop House.

Originally Posted by vo-man

Depending on the group we usually play either 50 Cents or a dollar;

per hole

birdies

closest to the pin on par 3's

longest drive on par 5's

Got a friend who plays for $1000 lowest score with his Friday foursome.

At the end of the year the one who has won the thousand bucks the most

during the year treats the foursome + Wives to dinner at Bobs Chop House.

Holy cow - you mean somebody could win up to 40 or 50k in a year?  That Bob's Chop House better be in Bermuda!

I agree with recent posters - pestering others to play for money is lame.  But I can't go along with those who say betting is stupid - if you're the type that enjoys it - as I am - it really does make it more fun and interesting.

I def. don't play for money as of yet considering I just started playing in March/April of this year. But I have no doubt that once I feel confident in my game I will throw down some coin on a round. I mean hell I guess I would wager someone now if I knew they were of somewhat equal ability.

I love having a little $$ in the game.....even if just dime or quarter bets.  I've played in many regular 'games' over the years and it's always more fun to have something riding on the outcome.  (small action---usually $10-$20 is the most you could lose)

The most I ever lost on a round of golf was either $150 or $200. It was a member-member event and my dumbazz partner dropped $300-400 on our team in the side pot....so I owed half.   I told him he was dumbazz for doing it.   Of course had we won the side pot...he'd be a genius and we'd each win about $2000, but it didn't work out that way. LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I played a round earlier in the year with a few friends where if I won all 18 holes against both of them, they'd pay for gas money (I drove them). I won. :-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Cart against cart. Two point game -- low ball and low total. 50 cents a point. Points double on 18th hole. Round up to the nearest dollar at the end.

So, yes we play for money. Not really about the money because there is never any "real" money on the line. Still, it is very competitive. Big difference between handing over a dollar or two  and winning a dollar or two.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

• Administrator

No. PGA members typically get to play for free.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I played a round earlier in the year with a few friends where if I won all 18 holes against both of them, they'd pay for gas money (I drove them). I won. :-)

I know of a round you played earlier this summer where an old guy took pity on you and didn't make you pay. :-P

I know of a round you played earlier this summer where an old guy took pity on you and didn't make you pay. :-P

:-P But Erik was glad to take my $2.15! (Then again, I can live with that price for a lesson. :-))

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jamo

But Erik was glad to take my $2.15! (Then again, I can live with that price for a lesson. )

Nickel Vegas adds up fast! :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I live 4 miles from my home golf course............I challenge Tiger woods to a match for gas money.  I'll even go out on a limb and drive my HEMI Challenger.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Wasn't it Harvey Pennick that said "Always play for something"? It helps you get you used to competition and pressure.

Earlier this year, I'm on a par 5 in two (barely cleared the water) facing about an 8' putt for eagle. Guy I'm betting with is in a bunker 30 yds away in two then holes out for eagle. Rattled the sh!t out of me but I still made that damn putt to halve the hole........or so I thought. I forgot he got a shot on that one. Lost 2 bets (hole and sandie) while getting an eagle. Now that blew mule.........

Originally Posted by Matias Giudici

Sometimes we play a few dollar skins, but basically we play for the other player’s ball. Or just for after game drinks.

Same here, we usually just play to see who buys the first round. When I first started playing, I played alot with my boss and some of the guys who were above me in the company. They always bet and I pretty much had no choice in the matter. Because I was very new to the game and they had to give me a bunch of strokes, they could turn into real jagoffs if I had a few good holes and ended up winning a few bucks. Kinda soured me on betting for money after that.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Same here, we usually just play to see who buys the first round. When I first started playing, I played alot with my boss and some of the guys who were above me in the company. They always bet and I pretty much had no choice in the matter. Because I was very new to the game and they had to give me a bunch of strokes, they could turn into real jagoffs if I had a few good holes and ended up winning a few bucks. Kinda soured me on betting for money after that.

Wish I could play with my boss! He's on a completely different level than me though, a member of a private (and expensive) CC not to mention we don't have that kind of relationship. I also believe he plays for a hefty sum of funds on his Friday/Saturday mens game. It would be cool though.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I would love to play for money more often, but I usually play as a single.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 4155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!