IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Blah, blah, blah, something about hard work, putting food on the table, grinding, etc.  Ergo, Jack had tougher competition. :-P

Hello, Mr. Golfingdad? This is [insert newspaper/magazine/website title here]. You're hired.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

The question I responded to in that post was one about stature, not greatest player; as such, my response was relevant. Pls read more carefully before a knee-jerk comment. It's becoming a habit.

OR, maybe you should read the thread title and not go off topic?

In defense of @Gunther , the thread title does not state "Who's the greatest golfer".....

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I wasn't alive at jack's prime so I go with tiger being the greatest golfer, also tiger can rip it further, has a better short game, and he's a built athlete, what else is their to say?

However the very first post says this so it does appear the intent was to start a conversation about that.

Dave :-)

However the very first post says this so it does appear the intent was to start a conversation about that.

Thanks, I was going to make that point but you beat me too it.  Although why the point even has to be made in a thread with 266 pages of context discussing who is the greatest golfer is beyond me.

And if we are talking about which golfer is the best person, I doubt that either Jack or Tiger would be in the top 2.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Thanks, I was going to make that point but you beat me too it.  Although why the point even has to be made in a thread with 266 pages of context discussing who is the greatest golfer is beyond me.

And if we are talking about which golfer is the best person, I doubt that either Jack or Tiger would be in the top 2.

Well, duh.  That would obviously be Jordan Spieth. :-P

OR, maybe you should read the thread title and not go off topic?

Again, pls read: I responded to a specific question. You are boring.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator
Again, pls read: I responded to a specific question. You are boring.

Enough, guys. The topic is about which is the greatest golfer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Blah, blah, blah, something about hard work, putting food on the table, grinding, etc.  Ergo, Jack had tougher competition.

In Jack's day every shot the players hit was uphill and into wind.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I wouldn't say that. I don't care about how many it's how he did it. Tiger in his prime was incomparable.

Actually, I more or less agree with that. Here's the thing. Both these guys have won the career grand slam THRICE. They are tied. Nicklaus picked off a few more, but it was such a different era of competition. Even if you just look at the difference in world population then and now, Woods had so many more people to contend with. Finally if you factor in short game, which is a huge part of golf, at least the way I see it, the more complete player is Woods.

Jordan Spieth will be the NEW greatest golfer of all time..move over Jack and Tiger

Mwah, a bit early to make that statement imo.

~Jorrit

I find this thread funny to read after joining TST last year.  To read the threads from 2006 before "The fall of Tiger".  Now to see what those same posts might read could be quite different; especially after seeing Tiger's short game woes from February.  You cannot doubt Tiger's talent but what makes a golf great.  Is it his wins or what he has meant to the game and the people around the sport.  To answer your question, Jack, IMO, is better of the two choices you gave us.  However, after watching the Arnie 3 hrs series, Arnold Palmer has done more for this sport than anyone else - maybe more than anyone else ever will.  Greatest in my opinion is what legacy you leave behind and there is none better than Arnold Palmer at this point.

~Billy

:mizuno:  :tmade:  :callaway: :odyssey:   :footjoy:  :clicgear:

Don't sell yourself short judge - you're a tremendous slouch!!!

I find this thread funny to read after joining TST last year.  To read the threads from 2006 before "The fall of Tiger".  Now to see what those same posts might read could be quite different; especially after seeing Tiger's short game woes from February.  You cannot doubt Tiger's talent but what makes a golf great.  Is it his wins or what he has meant to the game and the people around the sport.  To answer your question, Jack, IMO, is better of the two choices you gave us.  However, after watching the Arnie 3 hrs series, Arnold Palmer has done more for this sport than anyone else - maybe more than anyone else ever will.  Greatest in my opinion is what legacy you leave behind and there is none better than Arnold Palmer at this point.

Duck.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Arnie has a 10 year head start on Jack who has a 30 year head start on Tiger.  Their stories are far from finished.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Arnie has a 10 year head start on Jack who has a 30 year head start on Tiger.  Their stories are far from finished.

And, has already been pointed out this thread is about the greatest golfer , not the best person.  If we want to talk about best person, none of the three is even in the running, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

To be the "greatest" at anything takes more than talent..it takes character too. Character is not something Tiger ever had! His dad is rolling over in his grave in disgust!