IGNORED

"Secrets of the Short Game" by Phil Mickelson

iacas
Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A++++++ This has revolutionized my short game. It has given me consistency around the greens and made me have confidence every time I hit my wedges. The great thing about his methods is that the swing is different than my full swing and when I am having a rough day with the full swing, this one is always golden and easily repeatable..

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished watching the first disk and I really liked what I saw. The biggest weakness in my game has to be around and on the green and I think the info he has given here will really help me out. Just curious, as far as full swing goes I've been working on Stack and Tilt and was curious how what Phil says goes along with the S&T; theories on the short game?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator
Just curious, as far as full swing goes I've been working on Stack and Tilt and was curious how what Phil says goes along with the S&T; theories on the short game?

S&T; is a full-swing motion. The short game DVD isn't really worth discussing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I found the dvd's excellent! As a lefty it made a big difference to be getting the instruction the right way round for a change!

S9.1 Pro-S
3 & 5 Wood
23deg Rescue
AP2 4-PW Project-X 6.0
Tour-W Gap & Lob WedgeWhite Hot 2-BallFT Org.14 Bag2.0

S&T; is a full-swing motion. The short game DVD isn't really worth discussing.

So, if I understand correctly, nothing in what Phil talks about with regards to the short game contradicts S&T.;

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator
So, if I understand correctly, nothing in what Phil talks about with regards to the short game contradicts S&T.;

I don't know. I haven't seen Phil's DVD and I've done my level best to forget the S&T; short game DVD, because it's really just one shot...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't know. I haven't seen Phil's DVD and I've done my level best to forget the S&T; short game DVD, because it's really just one shot...

Fair enough. I will continue to work on S&T; for my full swing and more than likely use Phil's DVD to improve on and around the green.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 2 weeks later...
Fair enough. I will continue to work on S&T; for my full swing and more than likely use Phil's DVD to improve on and around the green.

That's what i do. S&T; for the full swing and Phil's DVDs for the 50 yards in. The only thing I tried and didn't like was Phils putting methods. I gave them a try for a couple months and just couldn't get the hang of it but the chipping is great and well worth the price.

To use Phil's putting technique I bet you would need a very short putter like Phil uses. I believe his is 32.5ish inches, and he's pretty tall, 6 ft 3.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

If you only could get one of "Secrets of the Short Game" by Lefty, or "Art of the Short Game" by Stan Utley, which would you recommend? I've never had any short game thoughts, ideas, instructions of any kind so I'd essentially be starting from scratch.

• 3 months later...

I've had the DVD's for about a month now, and I have to say I think I got more out of these DVD's than I have from my live, right there in front of me instructor!  A friend has then at the moment watching them.  He is pretty set in his Pelz clock method, so I'm not sure what he will take away from them, but he has been playing for years and is a 4 HC.

My biggest foul ups were always around the greens.  I was forever launching rockets across the greens no matter what methods I tried to use.  Not any more!  The hinge & hold method is so simple to me it's almost funny.  Being able to practice indoors with a mat with two turf heights and a bunch of AlmostGolf balls practically every night has been priceless.  This DVD set has absolutely transformed my game.

Phil almost comes across as "one of the guys", and is very easy to follow what he's talking about.  Not trying to get all big-worded like Foley does.  And the production is first class!  Well worth whatever you need to pay for it!

Melchoir,

It depends on what you like better for learning, visual or reading.  They are both very good.  It's harder to visualize Stan Utley's techniques just from the book.  He has some videos that are linked to his site that help.  I was very impressed with Phil's techniques as well, especially the concept of hands forward to target after impact on chipping and sand shots.

I use Utley's putting technique but do the drill from Phil's video.  I like Phil's chipping technique a bit better, but they are both similar.  Phil talks more about ball position on chips and how it affects what you are doing, forward for more loft, back for more roll.  Stan talks more about using only one position for most shots.

Oh heck, get them both!!!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 4 months later...

I was having a horrible time with my shortgame, so i decided to go to the book store and read phil's book. I went out today to practice a bit and had huge success with his method of hinge and hold. I could play the ball anywere in my stance and hit shots, varying the loft of each club. I do not believe in his one club for everything method, were he uses two wedges of the same loft. I like using longer clubs for longer shots, get it running quickly. But i hit each one crisp, it worked great.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Phil is just talented. I know some people read his stuff and swear by it but you just cant teach or learn what he has. He has the ability to plan a shot in his mind that he may have never even attempted before and then make his body do it. Call it talent, experience.. whatever you want. He is not the best short game player ever but he might just be the best at saving pars or making birdies from places where most people would just concede a shot and take bogey.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

I haven't read the book but I do have the DVD and it is wonderful. I have always had a pretty decent short game but after watching the DVD this winter and working on the techniques he discussed over the winter my short game has gone to a whole new level. In my first couple of rounds of the season I have already sunk a chip and I have had countless chips and pitches that just burned the cup. I am using this method to teach all the students on our varsity golf team and it is really helping. Couldn't suggest this any more strongly, especially if you are struggling in this area of your game.

I looked at this book at Barnes and Noble yesterday, but put it back when I got distracted by the leggy blonde on Teed Off . I may have to run back and grab it now. Thanks for the input, guys!

Breaking 80 in 99 days...     The blog     The videos

I was one of the first people in Golf Galaxy this morning for the Callaway's "RazR Weekend Challenge." For testing out the RazR irons, I got these items free: a sleeve of Diablo HX golf balls and the DVD set of Phil's "Secrets of the Short game. I have seen clips of segments from the "Secrets," and want to see what I can pick up from the whole set.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!