IGNORED

Practice Swings

Note: This thread is 5512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who here takes them and who doesn't? Pro's or Con's for either???

Personally, I never take a practice swing. I've tried to force myself to do it and 99% of the time the actual swing is much worse than when I just step up to the ball and hit it.

For me it works best if I start behind the ball. Get my target. Step up to the ball. Set Up. Look one more time at target. Swing.

I think it's because I don't let myself get into my head and start having way to many swing thoughts.

I keep my swing thought simple. "swing through the ball at the target"

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

I usually do a practice swing or two. Helps me focus a little more and loosen up real quick.
Once in awhile it does get me thinking and having a bunch of swing thoughts and i will mess up.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I never do a full practice swing. I instead swing the club a little to visualize and feel distance and shot selection. I do this on putts and chips too. I take little half swings or quarter swings just to get the club moving while I get a good sense of feel, trajectory, and distance. It takes me all of 2 seconds to be ready to hit a shot.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I never do a full practice swing. I instead swing the club a little to visualize and feel distance and shot selection. I do this on putts and chips too. I take little half swings or quarter swings just to get the club moving while I get a good sense of feel, trajectory, and distance. It takes me all of 2 seconds to be ready to hit a shot.

I'm very similar.. never a full "official" practice swing.. more like a BIG waggle :D

I take either 1-3 practice swings. I usually try and do take one swing though... If my first practice swing feels right then I step up and hit it. If it doesn't I take another until I feel good about it. Sometimes I'll hit it worse, but I find most times that it helps.

• Administrator
I rarely take practice swings. More like rehearsal moves on occasion, in two situations: 1) when I'm working on something in my swing, 2) when I'm facing an unusual shot (lie, shot shape, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not always but I'll take one if I'm trying to get my tempo right or help groove a particular thing I'm working on.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

When I hear "practice swing", I always think replica of the actual swing that you're about to take. I don't do that. I'll take a smooth swing to loosen up a bit (it's hell to get old..... ) and will visualize the shape and result that I want, but I don't try to replicate the actual swing unless the shot I'm trying to play or the lie are really unusual.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I take at least one on every shot. I am starting to hook my driver some so I do a half swing to ensure my face is square then a full swing just to help me visualize what I need to do. I am a hacker and anything to get my confidence up on a shot is a plus. I am seeing a huge difference in my Driver and Iron play with less fat and bad tee shots. Now if i can get my putting to come around I would be in business

I take two swings prior to all shots, it's a routine. Not full, hard swings and not a "practice" swing per se, just to loosen me up and stay in a groove.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Seems like there is a lot of personal variation here. I have always assumed that what most pros do is usually correct because of their Darwinian need to find the best possible way to make shots. I have never seen a pro not take a practice swing of some kind. Has anyone seen any pro just step up and hit the ball?

My "practice" swings are more of a rehearsal of tempo and balance. Trying to get a feel of a smooth swing and appropriate balance on uneven lies.

Usually, if your actual swing is a lot worse than your practice swing, especially for high handicappers, you may be standing over your ball too long before you swing. Make your swing thoughts before you get over the ball. Once you setup over the ball, don't stand there stiff too long. Just make your swing.

I take about 1 practice swing with my driver sometimes only on the first hole. After that I am usually good. A few with my irons. 0 when putting. For putting I pick my line and go hit it. Only time this changes is if I am behind a slow group, in which case I take some more practice swings.
In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

I very rarely take practice swings, I'll only do it if I'm trying something different like working it around a tree to get the feel of a different swing. I'm more of the big waggle type. I see way too many people take far too many practice swings trying to get one that "feels right" only to mess up their shot. Plus it slows things down.

Seems like there is a lot of personal variation here. I have always assumed that what most pros do is usually correct because of their Darwinian need to find the best possible way to make shots. I have never seen a pro not take a practice swing of some kind. Has anyone seen any pro just step up and hit the ball?

loads of times, although mainly when hitting tee shots.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 5512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!