IGNORED

Are you a 'new' ball snob?

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are you a new ball snob?

• Ball Snob - Must have a new ball at all times.
    • Semi Snob - Must start with a new ball.
    • Non Snob - As long as it looks round, I'll use it.

I voted non-snob, but the way I lose them I wind up playing new balls an awful lot. I'll keep playing a ball until I cut it or lose it though.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snob?

As I said before, I would use the ball washer on the first tee at the Masters

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

I'll generally start each round with a new sleeve of ProV's. If I can--and it's not a competitive round--I'll use the same ball throughout. If the scuffs or cuts get bad, I'll switch. But I can still remember the one ball weekends. I just enjoy getting through 18 knowing I only used one ball.

I also like the high numbers. 5-6-7-8. I used the 7's in the club championship last year, ended up shooting a couple of 77's. Maybe I should have used the 6's... :)

In my bag:
Driver: 905T 10.5 YS-6 Regular Flex
3 wood: r7 steel 15 degree stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 19 degree stiff
Irons: 735.CM 4-PWedges: 52, 56, 60 vokey oil canPutter: 2ball white steelBall: Pro V1Home Course: http://www.millcreekgolf.com

I suppose if I had the money to burn, I might be as rigid as some of the posters here, but I know from experience that a new ball does NOT perform any better than one with 18 holes behind it, as long as it's not damaged. I rarely use "found" balls, so what's in my bag started as new. When they get scuffed, they go into the "used" pocket and get transferred into my shag bag, but as long as a ball is in good shape, I'll play it until I lose it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to use a new ball at the beginning of every round. It's just the way I am. If I dump one in the water I may search my bag for a slightly used one. Never off the first tee though...it's gotta be glistening. I usually won't take a ball out of play unless it is severly damaged or I'm playing like crap (of course it's the ball's fault).

I am the same as you... I have to start with a new ball and if I get a bad scuff or a "smiley" on the ball it goes into the shag bag... But I have no problem playing with the same ball for 18 holes (it rarely happens) if the ball does not get beat up too bad...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

I always start a round with a new ball. Other than that, anything goes.

My pops works for a golf course that was affected by hurricane Katrina, so most of their inventory was written off. I was able to get a sheitload of pro-V's. When I first got them, I was replacing them for any reason. It has a scuff on it? Replace it. It's got dirt on it??? Replace it. But now that I'm starting to run low...I play nix, scuffs, smileys, etc. You name it, I can overlook ALMOST any flaw on a ball and play through it now.

Driver: r7 9.5*
3 Wood: xxI0
4 Wood: V steel
Irons: i-403
PW: : 56* chrome wedgeSW: 53* tour seriesPutter: scotty cameron Newport twoBalls: ProV-1Bag: Hoofer stand bag

I agree with most posters here...it's nice to know you've used only 1 ball for the entire round... Unless it's in 1/2, I'm using it!

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I am more of the semi-snob. I generally put a new ball into play and play with it until I have finished at least 18 holes, then it gets to graduate to the shag bag at the end of a round. So, if I start with a brand new ball (and I don't have to start a round with a brand new ball) and I play all 18 with it, it graduates to the shag bag. If I hit a ball into a body of water, let's say on the 12th hole, then the new ball must be played the remainder of that round and then 1 more round before graduating - assuming no major damage of course... To me this strikes a balance between my desire to play shiny new balls and my desire not to toss a perfectly good ball into the shag bag before it's had it's good shots used up...
In My Bag:
Driver: Fusion FT-3 Tour 9.5°, Aldila NV 65 Stiff
3-Wood: PT 906F2, 15°, Aldila NV 75 Stiff
5-Wood: Big Bertha 19°, RCH Firm
Irons: 755, DG S300Wedges: Vokey Design 200 Series 50.08, Spin Milled 54.14, 58.08Putter: Red X2 or Tour Blue TT2Ball: TP Black or Pro V1xHome Courses:...

I beat mine up pretty good. New ball every 9 for me.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I'm a total non-snob. As long as it's round, isn't scuffed up, and it's white, I'll use it. I pay about 11 cents each for my golf balls. When they get scuffed up I toss 'em in my shag bag, which I end up giving to my buddies since they're all incredibly cheap and poor, and I don't want to give them my good balls because they all lose 10-20 balls a round.

I tee off with whatever ball I pick out of my bag, and if I don't lose it, it'll last about 6 holes before I use a new one. I beat 'em up pretty good.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I'm a total non-snob. As long as it's round, isn't scuffed up, and it's white, I'll use it. I pay about 11 cents each for my golf balls. When they get scuffed up I toss 'em in my shag bag, which I end up giving to my buddies since they're all incredibly cheap and poor, and I don't want to give them my good balls because they all lose 10-20 balls a round.

you pay 11 cents for your balls and then give them to your "cheap" friends when they are too worn for you to use?

And I thought I was cheap!!!!!! What is a worn out 11 cent ball worth these days? just call me daddy warbucks

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

you pay 11 cents for your balls and then give them to your "cheap" friends when they are too worn for you to use?

I get my balls from this guy who collects logos as a hobby. He has about 17,000 of them lining the inside walls of his house. He puts the rest of the balls into crates and sells tham for only $20, and it's 24 dozen. So, figure, 288 balls in a crate, for 20 dollars. That's actually 7 cents. And, I'd say 80 percent of them are good balls, no scuffs, discolorations, and they're not range balls either.

But, yes, I give worn out balls to my friends. I used to have a crate of old range balls I'd gotten at a driving range. They were old Spalding range balls, about 25 years old. They were discolored from age, the dimples were worn down, and they only flew about 80 percent of the distance as a normal ball. I even had one explode. I keep them out in the trunk of my old LeSabre, so they don't infect the rest of my balls, that's how bad they are.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

My balls don't last long enough to get damaged to the point where they shouldn't be played. I'll play anything from a shiny new Pro V1 to a bargain bin Top Flite I found in the deep rough that is 2-3 shots away from falling apart.

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

I very, very, very rarely use the term LOL, but this is a perfect time for it. LOL, LOL, LOL!!!

As a junior i can't afford alot of new golf balls but i can break out a new sleve for a tourney, but just playin with my friends i'll hit all most any thing!
Tiger im comin for you!

Driver:Launcher 460 10*5
Woods: launcher comp 19*
Hybrids: don't lnow yet but its cominIrons: X18Wedges: old square groover 60* and CG10 56*Putter: Circa 62 #3Ball: Bridge StoneMy home course http://www.springfieldcc.org

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options Are you a new ball snob?
Ball Snob - Must have a new ball at all times.
Semi Snob - Must start with a new ball.
Non Snob - As long as it looks round, I'll use it.

View Poll Results

Hmmm. I didn't vote. None of the multiple guess answers fits my situation. Although I don't have to "have a new ball at all times" and don't have to "start with a new ball", I'm more particular than, "as long as it looks round, I'll use it."

I will not start a round with a ball that has a cart-path scuff, or other obvious scuff on it. I retire balls with obvious scuffs and retire balls when they are about 50% towards losing that "new ball shine".

Once I retire a ball, it's completely retired; since the course I play most regularly has a practice range and I join "range ball plan" each year, I have no need for shag balls.

I buy used Pro V1's, so no I am not a snob :)

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

As a junior i can't afford alot of new golf balls but i can break out a new sleve for a tourney, but just playin with my friends i'll hit all most any thing!

Yer i'm a junior aswell. If i'm just playin with mates that ball from last saturday will do aslong as its not to scuffed.

I cant really play Pro-V1's they scuff up to easily, like i dont hit cart paths that often or trees but when i hit a hard wedge the milling on my wedge scuffs the Pro-V1 a little bit. The new 07 Pro-V1 & V1x have a harder case though & dont seem to scuff as much as the older Pro-V's and the V1x scuffs less than the V1
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!